Toes?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I was just reading a book on joint locks and breaks...by Loren Christsen (oops)

They had a section on: TOES

The art of breaking Toes if it presents it self. The Big toe has only two joints...the little ones (8 more)...have three joints.

1. Breaking the BIG toes (just snap it) will make that person have a hard time standing back up.

2. Looking at the pictures...grabbing the big toes and couple of the little ones and split them apart,(ingnore the smell).....same foot OK! creates alot of pain

The art of breaking TOES! Do you teach and learn this too?

If not sure of location? ....look down... see what smells' ...lower...all the way to the floor...should be near the center of body..look for a knobbly stuff sticking out of your feet (two only)..small ones othe right and left could be toes too

Aloha........Hawaiian people never had any foot wear...even to this day...you will see people walking around bare footed in Hawaii.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Until I read down to the end of your post, I was on the brink of mentioning that most people sport footwear that render most toe attacks problematical.

Even then, I'm unconvinced of the efficacy versus shoe-wearing assailants.

BudoTiger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yeah im with sukerkin on the efficiency of toe attacks.

if you wanna keep them from getting back up just dislocate the knee or break the legs or ankles. they aren't going any where and if they do they aren't moving real fast.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This is just another technique that can be use, if it presents itself.

If for some reason you are on the ground...there shoe come off or whatever...and there foot present itself! and the only thing there is the feet with the toes looking at you? You can break it, apply pressure-joint lock?

This is just another choice of technique that can be use. Do not limit your thinking.

Try spitting someone toes in a grappling situtions, or bend the big toes if it presents itself, just another technique

Limit your thinking? ...limits your self-defence...........Aloha

PS: Try it sometime! (on someone else)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This almost sounds similar to a post a week or so about high kicks to the head. I guess if I wouldn’t kick to the head in self-defense then I would not direct my attack to their toes. I may stomp them or once I have taken them off their feet and incapacitated them I could envision removing a shoe or two and take some revenge on a big toe or two. But they would have to really piss me off a lot.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is largely new to me...what's the title of the book? I'll look for it at the bookstore!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simple and Brutal. The creedo of most RBSD guys out there, LOL. However, if you are in an area where people often go around bear foot, why not? Sounds like a great thing to practice.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, I was just reading a book on joint locks and breaks...by Loren Christsen (oops)

They had a section on: TOES

The art of breaking Toes if it presents it self. The Big toe has only two joints...the little ones (8 more)...have three joints.

1. Breaking the BIG toes (just snap it) will make that person have a hard time standing back up.

2. Looking at the pictures...grabbing the big toes and couple of the little ones and split them apart,(ingnore the smell).....same foot OK! creates alot of pain

The art of breaking TOES! Do you teach and learn this too?

If not sure of location? ....look down... see what smells' ...lower...all the way to the floor...should be near the center of body..look for a knobbly stuff sticking out of your feet (two only)..small ones othe right and left could be toes too

Aloha........Hawaiian people never had any foot wear...even to this day...you will see people walking around bare footed in Hawaii.

I practice finger and wrist locks.

When I wrestle I also practice ankle and toe locks. I know it might not be the most likely technique, but I use it as it does cause pain and or reaction that will allow for one to move to hopefully a better position.

The one I use the most is the roll of the toes forward or backwards to crush and or extend them.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich, the same principle works equally well with the fingers, does it not? Rolling in mostly works if they already have a fist going on, though.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The book is called: EXTREME JOINT LOCKING AND BREAKING, by Loren W. Christensen. (Restraint and submission techniques for the street)

Chapter covers 1. Finger techniques 2. Wrist techniques 3.Elbow techniques 4. Shoulder Techniques 5.Neck techniques 6.Back techniques
7. Knee techniques 8.Ankle techniques and 9. TOE techniques

These techniques isn't about sport fighting or flashy moves....just stuffs that works

It is for those who wants to tools for surviving extreme circumstances when all other means have been exhausted.

EXTREME JOINT LOCKING AND BREAKING by Loren W. Christenson.

He has written at least 10 books on the martial arts and made 5 training videos ( a former MP in vietam,retired police officer, and has several Black belts in different styles, as well as learning about other fighting systems around the world.

Aloha

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Might have get that book. What are his other books that you would recommend?

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents here....

One of the most effective defences for when grabbed from behind is the toe stomp.

I believe the intention is to both shock the attacker and break one or more of the toes.... and yes, if you get the big toe balance becomes a massive problem for them.

In one motion the attacker can be almost totally immobilised - rather effective i think.....unless they have steel cap boots on!!

I just thought i would throw this one into the mix because it is so simple and effective that it is often overlooked ...... and it is a toe based defence.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents here....

One of the most effective defences for when grabbed from behind is the toe stomp.

I believe the intention is to both shock the attacker and break one or more of the toes.... and yes, if you get the big toe balance becomes a massive problem for them.

In one motion the attacker can be almost totally immobilised - rather effective i think.....unless they have steel cap boots on!!

I just thought i would throw this one into the mix because it is so simple and effective that it is often overlooked ...... and it is a toe based defence.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention this. Stomping on the instep is also effective, so i have been told.
icon7.gif

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, he is a poster here on this forum and was asking members about techs that they had used to break joints, and the books was only going to contain things that people have actually used, not just theoretical techs.

If he still posts on here I'm sure he can give more light.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich, the same principle works equally well with the fingers, does it not? Rolling in mostly works if they already have a fist going on, though.

Yes it does. But sometimes you are not in the position one would recommend, and you are looking to survive and or get out and possible get away. ;) Of course I speak for myself and not for you. I hardly know you. :)

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
One more tool for the tool box.
If someone is...insert adjective....unlucky, foolish, drunk...enough to attack without shoes AND you find yourself in such a position to perform said breaks - have at it.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many times we become unaware of possible self-defense techniques.

Toe stomping is something we always train for in the rear bearhug's. BUT breaking the toes? I was very much unaware of this joint break? ...especially since we more sport style of grappling. Lots of ankle locks, arm bars, elbow joint locks , and so on... Finger and wrist breaks we practice those too. BUT NO one in our class thought about TOE breaks!

Remember BITING can be anywhere......Um toes? Time for a BREAK! ....Aloha

Latest Discussions