To Win Without Fighting

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While surfing some various forums and threads, I came across this blog by Doug Wilson. Doug is a member of the Bujinkan and probably better known for his appearance in the Human Weapon show that featured Ninjutsu.

Now, there are a number of interesting articles on his blog and I've read a few of them, but the one that I'd like to focus on for this thread is that one thats titled, "Is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu a combat art?" Now, I posted this here, and even though its an article about the Bujinkan, I feel that its relevant to any art. So, while reading, feel free to substitute BBT for your art.

What are your thoughts on the article? Do you agree/disagree with what he said? Do you try to follow his line of thinking regarding fighting?

Mike

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
(All from my humble perspective)

The desire to fight is born from an insecurity. The aggressor needs to establish a sense of control over his personal world. He can find this control by being able to control others, whether physically or mentally.

Those who aren't sure that they can fight are often the ones who want to fight the most, to establish that sense of security. Those who believe that they can fight have nothing to prove to themselves, nor to anybody else.

On the other hand, the "mature fighter" will learn that anything could happen in a fight, and that lucky/random circumstances play a large role in determining the outcome. Therefore no fight is a guarantee, nor is the "win" a sign of competence. At that point a fight becomes something to be avoided, but not feared. This removes the desire to fight for fighting's sake.

Sport, or sparring practice is different. Like rival boys testing their skill against each other by wrestling, fighting another without animosity or the need to force "respect" actually breeds strong relationships. If I know that you can face me, then I know that you can help me face others. Respect is earned, not forced, and trust is established.

This is true for mature individuals in any fighting art. If they have self-confidence then there is no need to be aggressive and abrasive.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The philosophical side of things I have a high degree of concurrence with i.e. we train in the martial arts to gain control over ourselves just as much as to learn a way to project force.

It is indeed the ideal that we should never have to fight. A goal should be that we learn to read situations far enough in advance that we can avoid the conflict either by physically absenting ourselves from the scene or being able to subsume our ego to defuse a potentially violent outcome.

Whether that goal is achievable for everyone or not does not invalidate it - the sense of awareness and conflict-management combined with humility of spirit is a valuable asset. I also agreed with the poetic rephrasing of "You make your own luck". That is a truism if I've ever encountered one, along with "Fortune favours the prepared".

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing among religion.

Those who are secure in their faith are less combative about it. Those who are insecure, or don't know if they truly believe are more aggressive about proving that they are right.

Also, politics does the same thing, now that I think of it. Money too, don't forget wealth.

Beauty, intelligence, fame, the list goes on . . .

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
*** note: I did not read the article cited ***

I remember the scene in "Enter the Dragon" when that guy wants to start trouble with Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee ends up tricking this guy into getting into the boat, and the kids are holding the rope to it.

"Don't try to pull yourself in, or I will let go of the rope." I am sure you all know the scene I mention. So, here we see this troublemaker off of the boat now, and the kids are having fun shaking the rope there. This is how it should be. The best outcome then was accomplished without Bruce Lee's character even fighting. When I see that scene, I think to myself, "Okay, then, you #########, here you go, then, you can just ride in the boat out there by yourself if you wish to make trouble!"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nice article but it pretty much was said over 2000 years ago in Sun Tzu Bing Fa.

It is just that Sun Tzu was not talking specifically about Bujinkan Budo taijutsu

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doug always has some pretty good information on Budo Taijutsu and martial arts in general.
icon14.gif

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's been stated here before that to run from a fight isn't cowardice but wisdom.
Irony abounds here with me today as I read this post just after finishing watching the Pilot episode of "Kung-Fu" on DVD.
In it a scene at the Shaolin Temple, the teenaged Caine is at a lesson with his fellow students. The following lines said mesh with this line of thinking of the thread.
Caine: Master Teh
Teh: Yes, student Caine.
Caine: What is the best way to deal with force?
Teh: As we prize peace and quiet above victory, there is a simple and preferred method.
Caine: What is that, sir?
Teh: Run away.
(voice-over by Master Kwan): Perceive the way of nature, and no force of man can harm you. Do not meet a wave head on. Avoid it. You do not have to stop force. It is easier to redirect it. Learn more ways to preserve, rather than destroy.
Avoid, rather than check.
Check, rather than hurt.
Hurt, rather than maim.
Maim, rather than kill.
For all life is precious, nor can any be replaced.
It is very similar to the "Oath of Peace" that I try to live by.
thardley gave a great answer as did Sukerkin. I will not add more than I have already.
:asian: