TKD future

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the Olympic committee gets rid of the sport of TKD what do you believe will happen?
Will it survive?
Will it blossum back to an Art form?
Will it remain the same?

Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
If the Olympic committee gets rid of the sport of TKD what do you believe will happen?
Will it survive?
Will it remain the same?

Terry

Without the Olympic sport aspect of TKD, I think a lot of folks would be hard pressed to stick around TKD. TKD would need to re-tool & be an art again. Without the Olympics, sport TKD doesn't have an interesting stage.
(JMO)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Will it survive?
Will it remain the same?

Terry

Taekwondo will survive-the Olympic sport is a visible aspect of one part of the art but not the entire art.

IMHO, it is still an art, but one which will continue to evolve and blossom. No, it will not remain the same, for to do so would mean it will stagnate.

Miles

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the sign up rate would drop dramatically, but the training would increase in intensity. This because the McDojang populus would decrease, Not being on the cutting edge of what's popular. Sorta like loosing your first match. As long as you're undefeated, the pressure's on. Once you loose, the hype and the BS go away. At least I hope anyway. I'll let you know when it happens, 'cause I'll still be here. :)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that without being a recognized olympic sport it is not a big deal. I mean Tae Kwon Do was big a popular without it being and IOC sport.

I am more into the art over sport aspect of Tae Kwon Do anyway.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If TKD is dropped from the Olympics the art will survive but I could see it will morph into something akin to MMA fights in order to stay popular.

It will be interesting to see how the AAU and USAT handle things IF TKD is dropped from the Olympics.

Like Gemini said ... I'll still be here to let you know what happens.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Allot of people obviously like the "sport" of TKD. So, I don't think much will change; WTF will lead as the "sport" side and the ITF will lead as the "art" side.

But, WTF may add XMA style forms as a regular event in it's tourney's......the ATA already has.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, anybody studying TKD here start it because there is a TKD olympic event?

Personally, the olympic sport of TKD had nothing to do with me getting into TKD as a martial art. Heck, I can't even find TKD on NBC when the olympics roll around anyway. I've caught some Judo on TV, but not TKD.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know that it is a shame. On the olympics being televised you can catch wrestling and judo. But it is like crushing said before, you cant find tae kwon do. It is a shame.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
crushing said:
Out of curiousity, anybody studying TKD here start it because there is a TKD olympic event?

there was a special on Discover channel about 10 years ago that intrigued me about TKD.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was on at all obscure hours and they didn't bring it into prime time. Just had to kinda set the 'ol VCR and watch it in the morning. You had to check your cable guide to find them. I did it using ESPN on line.