Tito Ortiz Vs. Pro Boxer Dana White

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dana White, President of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, officially received his professional boxing license from the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Monday morning.

White was attemping to acquire such a license in order to fulfill a contractual promise that he made to professional MMA fighter Tito Ortiz when Ortiz re-signed with the UFC in 2006.

With the license in hand, White is now cleared to face Ortiz in an exhibition boxing match that will consist of three rounds of three minutes each. All of the standard ringside precautions will be taken, and the bout will take place under the auspices of a professional boxing referee, although there will be no judges or scoring of rounds due to the bout's exhibition status.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3542&zoneid=13

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Go Dana! I hear Chuck Liddell is the fight doctor what is he going to do prescribe them Nyquil if anything happens?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
And I thought Dana White said we would never see girls fight in the UFC ...

:D

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I say my money is on Tito does anyone think Dana White has a chance even if it is expedition.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wander if Dana's entrance is to "I want it all" by Queen. Followed by getting more than he wanted. hehehehehehe. Hey you guys, maybe he can get "The King" like on Fight Night Round 3.

Dave_T_L_W

White Belt
Reaction score
Apparently dana used to school tito when they used to spar, should be interesting

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lol you guys are crazy my money is on Dana all the way, why two things Tito is an MMA fighter not a boxer Dana on the other hand was a boxing coach! and second Dana is a businessman do you really think he would take the risk of being made a fool of.

I'll be honest though i dont know why people dislike dana as business men go i think he's a real straight talking guy.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be honest though i dont know why people dislike dana as business men go i think he's a real straight talking guy.

Two reasons, off the top of my head:

a) During one particular TUF show, he was browbeating VISIBLY injured fighters (contusions and cuts from recent fights!) into competing. That's just wrong.

b) Zuffa is making millions, maybe billions, off its pay-per-views — MUCH much more than professional boxing is making — while paying its fighters a FRACTION of what a professional boxer makes.

There are Zuffa suits getting rich off the blood and sweat of their fighters, and Dana is one of them.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score

a) During one particular TUF show, he was browbeating VISIBLY injured fighters (contusions and cuts from recent fights!) into competing. That's just wrong.

b) Zuffa is making millions, maybe billions, off its pay-per-views — MUCH much more than professional boxing is making — while paying its fighters a FRACTION of what a professional boxer makes.

There are Zuffa suits getting rich off the blood and sweat of their fighters, and Dana is one of them.

I agree, get em' z
icon10.gif

He is right though.....a jerk is a jerk is a jerk. Sorry, that is just the way it is.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That was what they where there to do.

Top level MMA fighters make good money, the rest get scraps. Same as in boxing.

The listed payroll does not accurately represent what the top guys make, as they will also take home bonuses, and maybe a percentage of the gate or PPV sales. Couture "officially" made $250,000 in his last fight, but he apparently was in the 7 figure range for how much he really got.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

a) You can take that two ways, lets be honest thouse guys from TUF have been given a chance in a life time to compete and win a contract, whats a cut?! when thats on the line???would you really give up a dream because of a cut, maybe Dana was putting that in perspective?...you have to understand from a business sense that those guys from TUF are not Chuck Liddel's or Rich Franklins, when your a nobody you have to expect to be treated as one since your not yet a protected investment... every single fighting organization is the same.

B) as for money, look at Pride, they pay thier top fight fighters Millions to fight and now....they are in finacial difficulty.
Its up to the fighters promoters to arrange a deal with Dana at the end of the day, fighters arent like baseball stars its a sad to say but unless you are a Mike tyson or a chuck liddel and you can put butts on seats then you'll be paid peanuts...its not right but again the ufc gives a better deal then most.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
B) as for money, look at Pride, they pay thier top fight fighters Millions to fight and now....they are in finacial difficulty.

Here is the disclosed payouts for Pride 33 (most recent)

Main Event Fighters

-Wanderlei Silva: $150,000 (28th fight in Pride; lost to Dan Henderson in main event)
-Dan Henderson: $50,000 (18th fight in Pride; defeated Wanderlei Silva in main event)

Main Card Fighters

-Mauricio "Shogun" Rua: $50,000 (13th fight in Pride; defeated Alistair Overeem)
-Takanori Gomi: $20,000 (15th fight in Pride; lost to Nick Diaz)
-Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $20,000 (10th fight in Pride; lost to Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou)
-Nick Diaz: $15,000 (1st fight in Pride; defeated Takanori Gomi)
-Joachim Hansen: $15,000 (6th fight in Pride; defeated Jason Ireland)
-Hayato Sakurai: $10,000 (11th fight in Pride; defeated Mac Danzig)
-Frank Trigg: $10,000 (2nd fight in Pride; defeated Kazuo Misaki)
-Kazuo Misaki: $10,000 (8th fight in Pride; lost to Frank Trigg)
-Sergei Kharitonov: $10,000 (11th fight in Pride; defeated Mike Russow)
-Alistair Overeem: $10,000 (14th fight in Pride; lost to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua)
-Travis Wiuff: $10,000 (1st fight in Pride; lost to James Lee)
-Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou: $10,000 (1st fight in Pride; defeated Antonio Rogerio Nogueira)
-Mac Danzig: $10,000 (1st fight in Pride; lost to Hayato Sakurai)
-Jason Ireland: $10,000 (1st fight in Pride; lost to Joachim Hansen)
-Mike Russow: $10,000 (1st fight in Pride; lost to Sergei Kharitonov)
-James Lee: $10,000 (1st fight in Pride; defeated Travis Wiuff)

Disclosed Fighter Payroll: $430,000

And UFC 68 (most recent)
[FONT=Verdana,MS Sans Serif]Title Match & Main Event Fighters

-Randy Couture: $250,000 (17th fight in UFC; defeated Tim Sylvia)
-Tim Sylvia: $100,000 (11th fight in UFC; lost to Randy Couture)

Main Card Fighters

-Matt Hughes: $150,000 (18th fight in UFC; defeated Chris Lytle)
-Rich Franklin: $42,000 (9th fight in UFC; defeated Jason MacDonald)
-Renato "Babalu" Sobral: $21,000 (9th fight in UFC; lost to Jason Lambert)
-Martin Kampmann: $20,000 (3rd fight in UFC; defeated Drew McFedries)
-Jason Lambert: $18,000 (5th fight in UFC; defeated Renato "Babalu" Sobral)
-Jason MacDonald: $14,000 (3rd fight in UFC; lost to Rich Franklin)
-Chris Lytle: $10,000 (8th fight in UFC; lost to Matt Hughes)
-Drew McFedries: $5,000 (2nd fight in UFC; lost to Martin Kampmann)

Preliminary Match Fighters

-Jon Fitch: $28,000 (5th fight in UFC; defeated Luigi Fioravanti)
-Matt Hamill: $10,000 (3rd fight in UFC; defeated Rex Holman)
-Luigi Fioravanti: $8,000 (4th fight in UFC; lost to Jon Fitch)
-Jamie Varner: $6,000 (2nd fight in UFC; defeated Jason Gilliam)
-Gleison Tibau: $6,000 (2nd fight in UFC; defeated Jason Dent)
-Rex Holman: $3,000 (1st fight in UFC; lost to Matt Hamill)
-Jason Gilliam: $3,000 (1st fight in UFC; lost to Jamie Varner)
-Jason Dent: $3,000 (2nd fight in UFC; lost to Gleison Tibau)

Disclosed Fighter Payroll: $697,000
[/FONT]

Neither includes bonuses or if the fighter got a PPV or gate sale cut or anything like that.

But the days of Pride paying way more then the UFC seem to be over.

The Pride advantge was at the bottom, the lowest pay in Pride was $10000, and in the UFC it was $3000.
[FONT=Verdana,MS Sans Serif][/FONT]

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
- TITO ORTIZ VS. PRO BOXER DANA WHITE
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - by Ivan Trembow and Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

Dana White, President of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, officially received his professional boxing license from the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Monday morning.

White was attemping to acquire such a license in order to fulfill a contractual promise that he made to professional MMA fighter Tito Ortiz when Ortiz re-signed with the UFC in 2006.

With the license in hand, White is now cleared to face Ortiz in an exhibition boxing match that will consist of three rounds of three minutes each. All of the standard ringside precautions will be taken, and the bout will take place under the auspices of a professional boxing referee, although there will be no judges or scoring of rounds due to the bout's exhibition status.

The bout is scheduled to take place on March 24th and will not be open to the public. There are plans to air the bout on UFC.com (though not live), with the majority of the financial proceeds going to charity. There will also be a documentary about Ortiz and White's training for the bout on Spike TV.

White received his license following a 3-1 vote by the NSAC to approve him. The lone dissenting vote was from Dr. Raymond “Skip” Avansino, Jr. who after much discussion said that he could not justify granting a license to an 0-0 professional boxer to face a fighter with as much experience as Tito Ortiz, albeit as a mixed martial artist and not as a professional boxer.

At one point, White did say that he was doing this because he wanted to live up to the word that he gave when he promised the bout to Ortiz. Reassuring the commission, he said, “Believe me, if I thought I was going to get seriously injured… I wouldn’t do it.”

UFC Chief Operating Officer Kirk Hendrick also spoke on behalf of White, saying that he really has been training for this and is taking it seriously. “This is not WWE wrestling. This is not Vince McMahon getting in the ring. We’re taking this seriously,” said Hendrick, addressing another concern of Avansino’s that this was some sort of “publicity event.”

At one point, when Dr. Avansino was saying that he couldn't justify voting in favor of granting White a license to fight Ortiz because he felt it was a mismatch in favor of Ortiz, Hendrick said that if anything it would be a mismatch in favor of White. Hendrick said to the athletic commission that White used to "dominate" Ortiz when they would spar together.

White was an amateur boxer from the ages of 17 to 24 (which would be 1988 to 1995) before turning to managing fighters and then to his current position as president of Zuffa, which is now the most successful mixed martial arts company in the United States, if not the world.

In the end, the argument for the bout to take place won out, and the 3-1 vote was cast in favor of newly licensed professional boxer Dana White.

White said towards the end of the meeting, "Believe me, I'm never going to fight again after this."

Thanks,
Sensei Tom

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
More on Dana vs. Tito:
March 05, 2007
Nevada OKs grudge match between UFC chief White and Tito Ortiz

ASSOCIATED PRESS
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Nevada regulators on Monday approved an unusual grudge match between Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White and the "bad boy" of Huntington Beach, Calif., Tito Ortiz.
White, is the 37-year-old president of the mixed martial arts promotion company that has become a heavyweight in the pay-per-view business. Ortiz (15-5-0) is one of its toughest, most popular combatants.
Ortiz made the three-round match - in which both fighters will box only, no grappling - a condition of his recent contract negotiations.
White was once Ortiz' manager, but the two "had a real bad falling out" in 2003, White said.
"The last time Tito and I boxed was six years ago and he's a lot better than he was six years ago," White said after a hearing at the Nevada Athletic Commission, which approved the fight 3-1. "I'm a lot older than I was six years ago, so we'll see."
Regulators expressed concern that White would be seriously hurt by Ortiz, 32.
But most commissioners were reassured by sparring tapes showing White in the ring against another heavyweight from two months ago. White said he's been training since last July.
"I've seen Tito as a boxer, and he's probably not as good as you are," commission chair Dr. Tony Alamo told White.
Ortiz will weigh in at 205 pounds, while White weighs 196 pounds, both the boxing equivalent of heavyweight fighters.
The fight March 24 will likely take place at the UFC training center in Las Vegas and be broadcast later on the company's Web site, http://www.ufc.com , the company said.
I thought that what dr. Tony Alamo said was interesting.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was what they where there to do.

er... I'm talking about the episode in which fighters who were NO LONGER on the show/in the house, who had lost and been cut, were being asked to come back on because Dana was short on fighters.

Different situation that being on the show and having to do the pre-requisite fights.

So, to review: Randy got paid $250k (heavyweight fight for championship makes him about at the pinnacle, I think we would all agree, and he was definately a fellow who puts butts in the seats).

You saying he got another $750k we don't know about? Show me the money. I'm not talking about Xyience endorsements. Endorsements are nice but not a sure thing for any athlete.

Now somebody post what the heavyweight boxing champs/contenders get paid. I think my statement will be shown proven true: UFC pays its fighters a fraction of what professional boxers get.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You saying he got another $750k we don't know about? Show me the money. I'm not talking about Xyience endorsements. Endorsements are nice but not a sure thing for any athlete.

Can't they don't publicise those numbers.

But a big name fighter will often get a percentage, plus there base pay. In this case $250,000.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Now somebody post what the heavyweight boxing champs/contenders get paid. I think my statement will be shown proven true: UFC pays its fighters a fraction of what professional boxers get.

The UFC still only has a fraction of the fan base that Boxing has, and brings in less revenue, an MMA fighter can not expect to be paid that amount of money, think about it when Mike tyson would fight it would be shown in almost every country in the world all paying some network for the PPV, when liddel fights its not even broadcasted all over the America let alone the world.

For the record though I think Dana treats his fighters just fine, check what he says in his interview on the other thread i posted what he was saying about Pride is so true, look at fighters like Sakurba, Pride destroyed him, how many miss matchs did they give him? how many times did they pit him against heavyweights?how many times did they feed him to wanderlei? they destroyed him, he was an awsome
Could you imagine Dana just randomly declaring that Cro Cop's next fight will be against Matt Hughes?he wouldnt!
Its like the open weight GP, whats the point of that??everyone knows at the end of the day it will be the heavyweights in the final, why would you put your middles weights through it?
Look at Wanderlei now, his whole persona has been destroyed, he's been knocked out twice in two fights, he's no longer unstoppable he's no longer the pride dream boy.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
(continued from above)

you can tell wanderlei hadnt recovered from his fight from cro cop, and first fight back Pride decide to make him defend his title against Dan henderson???you could tell wandi hadnt recovered mentally from his last fight, he was cautious against Henderson, wandi cautious???

but back to the point....if you look at how other promotions treat thier fighters you'll see dana is not that bad, its not all just about the money you know guys.

Latest Discussions