Tips on making a demo?

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
I'm toying with the idea of coordinating a demonstration to entertain the residents at a nursing home that I work at. I would be working with the children to perform forms, breaking, and self-defense scenes. Only potential problem I see, is that I would need to make it at least half an hour. In the past, the black belt demonstrations we have competed with have had time constraints of 10 minutes, and we usually used half of that. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could extend the time while still making it an interesting presentation?

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have given demos at schools and fairs. Start your demo off with a story about the art and the students who study under you, let each student do a break and self defense test. Talk about comon self defense skills that do not use physical force. Credit card fraud ,shopping center do's anddo nots show to use walker and wheel chair arms for defense as well of canes. Put a bad guy in the crowd to bad mouth the demo team ,ask the bad guy to put up or shut up and let the kids kick but on him. talk to the staff about there self defense skills or lack of. This may be a way for you to get new students. Talk about the tents of Tae Kwon Do. Just some ideas for you to podder over. All the best in the arts

OP
D

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
I think the story and information part is pretty good. That's something I feel I can incorporate into it. However, some of your advice might not apply as it will be in a nursing home, and there may be only one or two staff members. The rest of the observers are mostly wheel chair bound, and having a patsy in the crowd might be a little too obvious. I also don't see the residents joining our classes anytime soon.

Another tidbit of info, I'm an assistant instructor. This is a project that I would be asking to coordinate and run.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
The nurses and aids have children and other loved ones you my not get them but the residents grandchildren and children you mighy get. When they find out what you did for there residents. You also might want to talk about breathing drills for better health. That is somthing that almost everyone can do. good luck on your demo! All the best in the arts

Latest Discussions