Time spent

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Its interesting to me that often the people who claim to teach RBSD, have
1- spent at least some time in TMA
2- in addition have spent some time in the military or law enforcement

My point being that although they tend to bash TMA ( which it deserves some bashing , what doesnt) TMA have also contributed to thier own development.

3- Although they claim they teach basic stuff, they probably wouldnt let anybody go out and teach their system unless the person had put in years of time between them and whatever else they may have already known. So they are still talking about years.
4- Many martial arts could be streamlined down to a basic six week course for the average (read most ) person who doesnt want to spend 10 years in a dojo, ubt it would still require endless repetitive drilling and practice.

JKD-
Again supposedly more efficient than TMA but
Often the people who practice JKD study it just as long as people study anything else ( years) . It takes years for a teacher to get certified juts like TMA. And often I am told by people with years experience in martial arts that the best jkd people they come across already had some basic training in a traditional art( a foundation) where as alot of other people have alot of techniques but no foundation.

So timewise there is no shortcut, the only difference is the package and some of the info in it.

R

richiehess

brothershaw said:
Its interesting to me that often the people who claim to JKD-
Again supposedly more efficient than TMA but
Often the people who practice JKD study it just as long as people study anything else ( years) . It takes years for a teacher to get certified juts like TMA. And often I am told by people with years experience in martial arts that the best jkd people they come across already had some basic training in a traditional art( a foundation) where as alot of other people have alot of techniques but no foundation.

So timewise there is no shortcut, the only difference is the package and some of the info in it.
yes i spent a long time doing shotoka karate before starting jeet kune do

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good post, and you're correct! All of the punches, kicks, strikes, etc. had to come from somewhere! A good example would be Larry Hartsell and Dan Inosanto. Both are excellent JKD inst. but if I'm not mistaken, both have Black Belts in Kenpo.

Like you said, same basic ideas, just a different wrapping.

Mike

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
brothershaw said:
You're right here. There are no short cuts when proficiency is desired. The only differences are what one is proficient in when one has finished their training (not that anyone ever really does).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are right there are no short cuts even through people believe there to be. I know alot of instructor that goes to a 8hr seminar and are now certified to show what they learned because they have a certificate saying they are certified. God bless the American way !

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
brothershaw said:
4- Many martial arts could be streamlined down to a basic six week course for the average (read most ) person who doesnt want to spend 10 years in a dojo, ubt it would still require endless repetitive drilling and practice.

I don't think TKD could ever be reduced to a six week course even if you spent every waking hour drilling. There's a limit the body and the mind can take in. TW

OP
B

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I said a six week course, I meant a six week course , that would have to be repeated many, many times. In actuality if you think about if whatever art you studied was broken down into a 6 week, 5 day, 8 or 9 hours a day course where not much was really repeated (sort of like bootcamp). you probably could be shown all the basic information in your art up to the first instructor level. You just wouldnt be good at it, and would have to take the course over and over again.
Generally martial arts schools spread this material over years and you slowly get more information.

Latest Discussions