Tien Tae Jitsu?

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen, or heard about this Martial Art? I saw someone giving an overview of it a long time ago on a public access channel. I've been looking for some better examples of it in action then what I saw that one time. From what I remember, Tien Tae Jitsu looked like a combination of Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Akido, and mediocre Boxing. (But that was probably because that guy, and his students in the demo just weren't very good at that part)

I think he also mentioned it being a hundred years or something to that extant, which I am very doubtful of. I have found some sites that teach it, but talk about "Teaching values" more then anything else. And don't show the art in action at all.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tien Tae Jitsu was founded by Master Eric Johnson in 1990, and since then has been offering instruction and training in martial arts at various locations through out the Portland Oregon area.

Tien Shan Pai Kung Fu with kicks from TKD

Tien Tae, combination of the 2 arts

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tien Tae Jitsu was founded by Master Eric Johnson in 1990, and since then has been offering instruction and training in martial arts at various locations through out the Portland Oregon area.

I actually just met a student of his, and he had a lot of great things to say about it.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Just a nomenclature question: where does 'jitsu' come in? Jitsu or jutsu is a Japanese term that is definetly not used in KMA (the Korean pronunciation of the hanja (術) is 'sul' or 'sool') and, to my knowledge, the term is not used in CMA.

Certainly, it has no bearing on the curriculum or quality of teaching, regardless of the reason. I ask out of curiosity.

Daniel

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just a nomenclature question: where does 'jitsu' come in? Jitsu or jutsu is a Japanese term that is definetly not used in KMA (the Korean pronunciation of the hanja (術) is 'sul' or 'sool') and, to my knowledge, the term is not used in CMA.

Certainly, it has no bearing on the curriculum or quality of teaching, regardless of the reason. I ask out of curiosity.

Daniel

That was info I got off the web. It said "Jitsu" comes from "Ninjitsu" which was another art that Mr Johnson had studied.
http://www.tientaejitsu.com/index.cfm?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, the name is a combination of various cultures, Tien from a Chinese Kung Fu system (Tien Shan Pei Kung Fu, as mentioned above), Tae from Korean Tae Kwon Do, and Jitsu is a common mispronunciation of Jutsu. For the record, they are different words, Jitsu means truth, and Jutsu means art. They are also written with very different characters.

So a translation would be "Heavenly (Chinese) Kick (Korean) Truth/Art (Japanese)". And judging from the website, I am not placing much credence in the NinjItsu training. The description was completely off, so you know. Not saying it's not a good system overall, but I'm doubting any legit Ninjutsu training there.

Latest Discussions