Throwaway Wallet

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the August 2006 issue of Black Belt, Jim Wangner has an article suggesting carrying a decoy wallet. He states it should hold about $35, a few fake credit cards, photos of kids you don't know, and some receipts and business cards.

I think this is a cool idea and will pass it on to anyone I train with. I train to be able to defend my self, but if someone has a gun or knife (particularly a gun), the smart thing to do is just give them the wallet.

What does everyone here think of the idea?

AoG

ChrisWTK

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that's a good idea for men, but what about women? We have purses and such to carry out belongings and I think if someone was looking to mug us they'll just go for the whole bag rather than going for just the wallet.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do carry my money seperate from my wallet on the off chance that I need to throw something down that I think they want and run.

Reality is, if I am sticking around, I am looking for the opportunity to give them hollow points or knife wounds to their center mass rather then a decoy wallet. It's not a bad idea or anything, but to go as far as creating a decoy wallet seems a little impractical for most people.

I have respect for Mr. Wagner, but a lot of stuff covered in the magizines in general tends to be a bit trendy and overblown. I think just keeping your cash seperate (money clip or equivelent) is a practical everyday thing that you can do.

The rest of my energy will be spent working ways to put down the guy who might try to take my "wallet."

That's just my immediate thought, anyway...

Paul Janulis

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I make a point of carrying my keys and passport (if I'm traveling) seperately. I don't carry anything in my purse that I can't replace in less than a week. I keep my passport with me when I travel even closeby so even if if my purse is lost/stolen, I can still get on the plane to come home.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great idea, especially for the least experience travelers and those who are going to unfamilar places. Thank-you for the ideas. ......Aloha

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
ArmorOfGod said:
In the August 2006 issue of Black Belt, Jim Wangner has an article suggesting carrying a decoy wallet. He states it should hold about $35, a few fake credit cards, photos of kids you don't know, and some receipts and business cards.

I think this is a cool idea and will pass it on to anyone I train with. I train to be able to defend my self, but if someone has a gun or knife (particularly a gun), the smart thing to do is just give them the wallet.

What does everyone here think of the idea?

AoG

Thats a pretty sweet idea, thanks for sharing it with us.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
ArmorOfGod said:
I train to be able to defend my self, but if someone has a gun or knife (particularly a gun), the smart thing to do is just give them the wallet.
how do you know they won't just execute you after you give them your wallet or purse (ladies)???

My thinking on this issue is pretty much in line with what Paul said. If they've got a weapon and I'm not able to immediately run, I'm going to be waiting for my chance to put them down.

Of course, I tend to carry my pistol in the same general vicinity as my wallet, so the scenario would probably go something like:
"Give me your wallet!"
"Sure, no problem, please don't hurt BANG! BANG! BANG!"

but hey...that's just me

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
how do you know they won't just execute you after you give them your wallet or purse (ladies)???

Good point. That is exactly the problem. Being passive and hoping they won't hurt you if you give them what they want is basically putting your trust in someone who has already proved that they don't have a moral aversion to threatening you with violence.

That is not where I would put my trust personally. I recommend to only use the nonviolent option when it is the safest option, and nothing more. Anything otherwise is basically "blind hope;" and blind hope will get you killed...

Paul

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In today's world...giving up your wallet to the thief may not stop him from trying to kill you. Best to give and hope they don't harm you.

Either way..be prepare for the worst...prepare to fight for your LIFE! ....Aloha

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a friend who thought of the idea some 20 years ago. Had a basically blank wallet with a dollar in it. Well it worked the first time he and his gal got mugged, the guy grabbed the wallet and ran (his girl was not carrying a purse).
The second time he wasn't so lucky. The mugger checked the wallet and saw that there was nothing but a dollar in it... he beat the living crap out of my friend and took his real wallet which unfortunately had over $140 sumpthin in cash in it along with his father's credit card (college student)... but at least he got a two night stay in the hospitial...

So basically this ploy may or may not work... you'd better be prepared to reap the mugger's wrath when he stands there and finds you gave him a bogus deal, but of course this is where all that SD/MA training comes in handy.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, In today's world...giving up your wallet to the thief may not stop him from trying to kill you. Best to give and hope they don't harm you.
I still disagree that this is the "best" way to handle the situation. Paul made a very good point when he said that if you try it this way, you're trusting a criminal who's already threatened to kill you. Do you really expect him to keep his word?

still learning said:
Either way..be prepare for the worst...prepare to fight for your LIFE! ....Aloha
I don't think you can have it both ways. To me, the importance of mindset in this type of situation cannot be overstated. If you give up your wallet and "hope they don't harm you," you're thinking like a victim and you are going to be playing catch-up if they decide to shoot/stab you anyway. If you're in that victim mindset, you're not going to be able to defend yourself as effectively as you might be able to otherwise.

I'm not saying that giving up your wallet is never the right choice, but if I ever did it I wouldn't be thinking "I hope this guy doesn't hurt me." I'm going to be thinking "yeah, I'll hand him my wallet to distract him long enough for ME to hurt HIM."

Latest Discussions