This could be a good idea, let me know what you think

Should there be a regional section to this forum

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On this site the Martials Arts are represented across the board. We have many people from every corner of the planet sharing their knowledge with us. This is an awsome thing and I wish to further promote this. I suggest a regional section to this forum.

It can be divided by by regions of the US (northeast, southeast ect.), Europe, S America etc. You get the idea. This will help to keep martial artists in that region in touch with others around them. Local Tournaments can be announced here, meet and greets or anything for that area.

Let me know what you guys think. I have seen this on other boards and it tends to work.

B

P.S.- If this already exsists or has been suggested then get rid of this thread and let me know. Thanks again

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe this is a great ideal, don't know if it has been mention or not but it has now.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it can be a good idea. Perhaps 2-4 regions, not too many. If two regions, perhaps East and West. If four, could be North-West, South-West, North-East, and South-East. Each region could perhaps create their own "region nickname".

As far as exchange of information goes (like the forum), I don't think it is necessary. On the other hand, narrowing down by region may make it easier to have Event specific searches and opportunities to interact. It also may help make martial-arts research easier.

I see more pros than cons. Why not?

- Ceicei

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Regions? A breakdown by style would make more sense in my opinion...What would the regional division in forums do?

The more the better I guess but with the Internet, regions, borders etc. seem less of a challenge--

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Regions? A breakdown by style would make more sense in my opinion...What would the regional division in forums do?

The more the better I guess but with the Internet, regions, borders etc. seem less of a challenge--

There is a break down by style, well a general break down so to speak. But to break it down by each style would be a monumental task becasue of all the different styles. With a regional break it would enable members to locate other members around them easier. You could also have school listings, training parters and so forth for those regions listed in the respected section.

B

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess it could be good, but how would that effect the sharing of information on the board as a whole? I would suspect that people may set it up as only regional specific information be shared in the regional board, but as you can see how these threads vary, information will eventually split in whole, so that a single technique may have multiple threads ... is this a good thing? I don't know, I guess I like seeing ALL posts for a single thread rather than for multiple threads. I don't know if I stated that correctly, hopefully you caught my drift.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the regions idea but breaking it down by regions and then style may be a little cumbersome.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
On this site the Martials Arts are represented across the board. We have many people from every corner of the planet sharing their knowledge with us. This is an awsome thing and I wish to further promote this. I suggest a regional section to this forum.

It can be divided by by regions of the US (northeast, southeast ect.), Europe, S America etc. You get the idea. This will help to keep martial artists in that region in touch with others around them. Local Tournaments can be announced here, meet and greets or anything for that area.

Why, to what benefit?

And what are you dividing by region, Log into the South American martial arts forum, or the Japanese martial arts forum?

If that is the case wouldn't that take away from the exchange of ideas from various regions?

And it is possible that some do not want to be identified by a specific region.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why, to what benefit?

And what are you dividing by region, Log into the South American martial arts forum, or the Japanese martial arts forum?

If that is the case wouldn't that take away from the exchange of ideas from various regions?

And it is possible that some do not want to be identified by a specific region.

Im not suggesting that we divide anything already on the board, im only suggesting that there be a section with sub sections for different regions.

This is not to take idea away from other regions on the board but to promote communication between members in the regions.

And as far as being "identified" with a specific region. I dont understande this comment, forgive my ignorance. The regions once again is only to promote communication between 'closer' neighbors, by closer i mean next state or 2 over, for example living in KY i am more likely to make the drive to a tournament or seminar in TN or Ohio, even Georgia than i am to CA, not say that i would never go to CA but they wouldnt be the first choice.

Im only suggesting it to get the people together to share ideas, have their own get togethers, share events. Thats sort of thing

B

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Im not suggesting that we divide anything already on the board, im only suggesting that there be a section with sub sections for different regions.

This is not to take idea away from other regions on the board but to promote communication between members in the regions.

I apparently do not understand what you are talking about here when you are saying "regional section" and being a "sub-section"

In what way would this be done?

For example would it be;

Chinese martial arts
- General
- Northern Styles
- Southern Styles
- Taijiquan
- Wing Chun
- CMA from around the web
- Regions
- USA - Various Regions
- China - various Regions
- Europe - Various regions

Or are you talking about a regional identifier in the profile or an individual on MT?

And as far as being "identified" with a specific region. I dont understande this comment, forgive my ignorance. The regions once again is only to promote communication between 'closer' neighbors, by closer i mean next state or 2 over, for example living in KY i am more likely to make the drive to a tournament or seminar in TN or Ohio, even Georgia than i am to CA, not say that i would never go to CA but they wouldnt be the first choice.

Im only suggesting it to get the people together to share ideas, have their own get togethers, share events. Thats sort of thing

B

Some people may not want it public as to where they are from, but as stated above I apparently do not understand what you are talking about when you say "regional section"

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like it...
I wouldn't mind meeting up with some of the other crazies on this board...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea. I never know what's going on in my region/ area, and especially after seeing some posters on here are a bit closer to where I live. So, the only question is: Am I north or south? I've seen W.Va. divided 2 different ways...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think it's a terrible idea, I just don't see the need. We're already divided up by art, & locale as it is. I don't see a purpose for it.

My .02

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think dividing the users and the information into smaller sections just dilutes the effectiveness of any database. I believe it is better to have one large forum, from which data can be narrowed down with a query.

I voted No.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I apparently do not understand what you are talking about here when you are saying "regional section" and being a "sub-section"

In what way would this be done?

For example would it be;

Chinese martial arts
- General
- Northern Styles
- Southern Styles
- Taijiquan
- Wing Chun
- CMA from around the web
- Regions
- USA - Various Regions
- China - various Regions
- Europe - Various regions

Or are you talking about a regional identifier in the profile or an individual on MT?

Some people may not want it public as to where they are from, but as stated above I apparently do not understand what you are talking about when you say "regional section"

I will explain Xue Sheng. The "regional section" i am talking about is like the other sections we have on MT (ex: Arts, The Armory, Kempo/Kenpo, CMA, FMA, JMA etc). Does this make sense?

The sub sections would be list as things like USA, Canada, S America, Europe etc.

You can even go furter and break them down into groups. Ex. USA (Northeast, southeast, midwest, pacific etc.)

As for you concerns about people not wanting it to be known, it would only be known if they choose to identify themselves with that specific region (or whatever you want to call it) and post in the respective forum.

I hope this helps, if you are still at a loss please ask and i will do my best to explain further.

B

PS-If you have any suggestion let me know and i will add them to the beggining post

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That makes sense and thanks for the explanation, but based on your explanation I find I agree with Iceman and Mike on this one.

And being an ex-web guy I can see this as being nothing but a massive headache for Bob and MT.

It is a good idea but I do not see the need for it.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
more areas to cover and moderate?.....:eek:, Say it isn't so!

The whole idea of forum is to share and we have more then enough subsections and subforums to cover the "arts" and further dividing them into small subsections on region doesn't seem to serve a purpose. If you want to know what is going on in your area, start a thread in your "art"section on "what is coming up in southwest US" and add update it and allow others to do so as well.

I honestly don't think it is something that needs a section of its own.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think dividing the users and the information into smaller sections just dilutes the effectiveness of any database. I believe it is better to have one large forum, from which data can be narrowed down with a query.

I voted No.
I agree.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
more areas to cover and moderate?.....:eek:, Say it isn't so!

The whole idea of forum is to share and we have more then enough subsections and subforums to cover the "arts" and further dividing them into small subsections on region doesn't seem to serve a purpose. If you want to know what is going on in your area, start a thread in your "art"section on "what is coming up in southwest US" and add update it and allow others to do so as well.

I honestly don't think it is something that needs a section of its own.

I would be more than willing to offer my services to moderate if this was to become a section on the forum.

Thanks for the input. Maybe your suggestion is a better way to go. Like i said i have seen it done on other boards with great success and thought i woudl get some opinions, no harm done.

B

Latest Discussions