Thinking of starting jiu jitsu

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So my entire martial arts life has been stand up fighting. Which I love and will always be my main style. But I have been thinking about doing a bit of ground work I don't expect to be an expert but never hurts to see what it's like. I'm currently staying in jersey Channel Islands and there's a couple places. The best one I think is a Gracie barra school it trains every day in gi and no gi classes and has mma classes. It seems like a good club and it was bellator light heavyweight champion liam mcgearys first ever gym when he lived on the island before moving to America mcgeary fought at a few jersey events as well. So it has solid credentials but yeah I'll have to think on it

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what makes jiu jitsu a "ground work" thing? What stand up fighting do you do?

Pittsburgh Arnis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So my entire martial arts life has been stand up fighting. Which I love and will always be my main style. But I have been thinking about doing a bit of ground work I don't expect to be an expert but never hurts to see what it's like. I'm currently staying in jersey Channel Islands and there's a couple places. The best one I think is a Gracie barra school it trains every day in gi and no gi classes and has mma classes. It seems like a good club and it was bellator light heavyweight champion liam mcgearys first ever gym when he lived on the island before moving to America mcgeary fought at a few jersey events as well. So it has solid credentials but yeah I'll have to think on it
After doing standup martial arts for many years I also got interested in grappling. I really found learning about ground fighting to be very enjoyable.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I recommend strongly. Jujitsu's more of a psychological fight - You can always get lucky with a strike and knock someone out. But in jujitsu, the end result is to force respect out of your opponent, whether that be expressed by tapping out or screaming and begging for you to let go of them. You can usually get over a punch, because everyone knows how to hit somebody. But when you get taken down, tied into a pretzel and rolled and thrown around to the grappler's will, it feels like inescapable torture: you don't know what to do, and the things you how to do aren't working. That's the effect of jujitsu.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good second martial art as it won't conflict with your stand up instruction, it's good fun too though I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as KangTsai lol. :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You're going to love it.

Latest Discussions