Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Things I learned from my Cat
By Bob Hubbard

With a title like that, you would think this was a humor bit. Its not, though it is intended to be a bit light hearted. I recently became the personal servant to a 1 yr old leopard-spotted member of the Felis domesticus species. One of the games I play with her is ‘chase the laser pointer’ also known as “Mr. Red Dot”. Now, I know you’re going “What’s this have to do with training?” Well, actually, a lot.

The Chinese arts have the reputation of having been developed based in part on how animals stalk and battle their prey. The common house cat, while not on par with its wild cousin, still has the instincts. Some of the things I learned include:

1: Leap for it.
You never know if you can reach it unless you try.
Often, while chasing “Mr. Red Dot” I’ll run it up a wall. She’ll usually make the leap and more often than not, hit it. How many of us stop when the bar goes up, pausing our training cold and losing our momentum? The key here is, leap for it. You may hit the wall, but you may also hit the goal too.

2: Patience.
Don’t rush until its time, then, go all out until you get it!
Many times, she’ll pause and wait for the chance to pounce. Many times, when I think she’ll go, she still waits. When she pounces, she usually nails it. If she misses it, she immediately leaps into pursuit, running it to ground. How many times so we punch too soon, or kick too late? How often do we miss a goal, get discouraged and pause? The key here is, wait until the target is square in your sites, and then nail it. If you miss, don’t stop, keep at it. But proper preparation is a key.

3: Enjoy “Mr. SunBeam”.
Take the time to charge your batteries. Cats have a leisurely existence.
Too many of us rush to work, rush home, rush to train, rush through training, rush home, and repeat the whole thing tomorrow. Take a few moments to rest and calm yourself before work, and training. You’ll find better progress when your mind is calmer and more open to learn. You’ll also help cut back the effects of stress on the mind and body. Your family will thank you.

4: He who can catch a fly bare pawed, is master.
Yes, we all saw the Karate Kid where Mr. Miyagi tries to catch a fly with chopsticks, fails, yet his student Daniel succeeds. I was once watching my mom’s old cat chase a fly around the room. He stalked it, waited, leaped for it, and caught it. He was the master. Hard to think something with the ‘no thumbs’ handicap could catch something as fast and small as a fly. But, it can be done.

5: Be Persistent.
Every morning, at 6:35 a cat that wants her breakfast awakens me. Never mind I’m trying to sleep. Never mind the 20+ times I push her off the bed. She’ll keep coming back until she gets what she wants. Be persistent. If you’re having trouble with a technique, concept or some other aspect of your training, keep at it until you get it. Don’t give up. Thankfully, my cat doesn’t have the benefit of a good coach or instructor, but we do. When you get stuck, seek out help. This way you can be both persistent, and train smart at the same time.
We can learn a lot from the animals. Sometimes, even the keys to taking our training up another notch.

===​
Bob Hubbard is an administrator of the popular martial arts portal site MartialTalk.com and president of SilverStar WebDesigns inc., a web site design and hosting company specializing in affordable solutions for martial artists. A student of all the arts, he is currently studying Modern Arnis.
Bob can be reached at kaith@martialtalk.com

Published
MartialTalk Magazine
Copyright ©2004 Bob Hubbard - All Rights Reserved

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Things I learned from my Cat
By Bob Hubbard

1: Leap for it.
You never know if you can reach it unless you try.
Often, while chasing “Mr. Red Dot” I’ll run it up a wall. She’ll usually make the leap and more often than not, hit it. How many of us stop when the bar goes up, pausing our training cold and losing our momentum? The key here is, leap for it. You may hit the wall, but you may also hit the goal too.

5: Be Persistent.
Every morning, at 6:35 a cat that wants her breakfast awakens me. Never mind I’m trying to sleep. Never mind the 20+ times I push her off the bed. She’ll keep coming back until she gets what she wants. Be persistent. If you’re having trouble with a technique, concept or some other aspect of your training, keep at it until you get it. Don’t give up. Thankfully, my cat doesn’t have the benefit of a good coach or instructor, but we do. When you get stuck, seek out help. This way you can be both persistent, and train smart at the same time.
We can learn a lot from the animals. Sometimes, even the keys to taking our training up another notch.

===
Bob Hubbard is an administrator of the popular martial arts portal site MartialTalk.com and president of SilverStar WebDesigns inc., a web site design and hosting company specializing in affordable solutions for martial artists. A student of all the arts, he is currently studying Modern Arnis.
Bob can be reached at kaith@martialtalk.com

Published
MartialTalk Magazine
Copyright ©2004 Bob Hubbard - All Rights Reserved

The neighbors abandoned cat, who I am now feeding and letting inside during the current rainstorms, is really into numbers 1 and 5. I have a cut on my hand to verify that he will leap if you are carrying food (or he thinks you are). Persistant? He doesn't know the word QUIT when he wants something. And do you know what? As a result he usually ends up getting it. :idunno:

bshovan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Cats rule- My cat wakes me up every morning app. 5-6am for her needed affection rub down. While tossing and turning trying to get a few more moments of sleep- my cat let's me know that it's her needed time. Few can ever understand this but those of us that do know. It's the little things in life such as these times that let us know that life is life.

Billy

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Cats...try catch one? then corner it? ......Become the cat when fighting back! ......................Aloha

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great post..All true especially the being awoken before your alarm time to feed the kitty..Mine got sick of being tossed off the bed and now perches on the nightstand and paws or licks in order to wake me..She has learned to avoid my swipes..

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I woke up today with the 3 vultures staring at me, and sitting on my head.....lol

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know these games all too well. We have a pair of lunatics, Grendel and Beowulf, and i can personally attest to every one of your points. My friends think we are nuts for putting up with it, but they somehow worm their way into your lives and that is it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another thing I have learned from my cat: keep up your guard, even in places where you think you are not vulnerable.

If I forget to tuck in the blankets on the bed at night, Grendel will inevitably take notice and attack my feet just when I am at the deepest point of sleep. If my feet are sticking out over the edge of the bed and unprotected, even the tiniest amount, she finds it. Every time.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What I learned from someone elses cat....

Lay around and sleep all day. Get a free ride and not have to pay any bills....

Sorry they have a lazy cat....lol.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Love this post! I had a cat a few years ago, saddly heart problems took him away from me. I learned from him as you have. I named him Harimau after one of my favorite systems of study. He lived up to the name, eventually we let him run the yard and woods before health problems got the best of him. Even with heart related issues, he was able to catch two birds and bring them into the house the day he passed. The last thing he taught me was, live untill you die. I will never forget this. PEACE

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think some of the people I know took lessons from a cat. Whine and fuss until you get your own way. LOL

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about the old "I bet I can make you trip and fall down the stairs" trick? My cat is famouse for trying to take me down. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My cat is black and our carpets and entrance hall wood flooring are dark in
color and she's impossible to see after 7pm.

So - from my cat I have learned the art of stealth (blend in) and also that you can step on a cat almost anywhere repeatedly and s/he probably won't die.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's see...

I learned from my cat last night, not to run out of gooshy, gooshy, canned cat food. I also learned, after he kicked the box of dry food around, scattered all the pieces I had poured for him around the floor, and scratched me when I tried to put them back and show him how GOOD this dry stuff can be, that I am not as patient as I thought I was! Honestly, as I mentioned in the other cat thread, I really, really wanted to spank the little devil. Of course I didn't but I'm only giving him half-and-half now so that he's not so spoiled. BTW, he's a feral cat I adopted - if he were an indoor cat, I wouldn't have put up with that ****.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I learned from my cat?

As some of you know, my cat, after being missing for a day and a half, showed up at my doorstep crawling and unable to walk. He had a multitude of ailments, including a severe kidney infection. Because he was unable to walk, I assumed that he had been hit by a car and his rear legs injured. Not so, fortunately.

Despite his critical condition (even the Vet at the pet hospital said that his chances of survival were slight), eight days later he is back playing and running and jumping.

He was an outdoor cat abandoned by my former neighbors who I started to feed about a year ago when it became obvious that he was on his own. Six months ago, at three o'clock in the morning, I intervened in a fight between him and a large raccoon that had come to steal his food. I'm not saying that he was winning (he was not) but, considering that raccoons often kill even large dogs, he was giving a darn good account of himself.

What I learned from MY CAT is what it is to be a real fighter - in life and on the street.

He's a permanent indoor cat from now on. I won't let him out of my sight from her on out.

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
hmmm, i remember when i first moved here...there was a cat. It was a stary but it stuck by us and we fed it and all.....thing took out apossums, racoons, squirrells, ect. was tough....but my parents called animal control eventually and they took it away....sad, he was tough!!