Things are heating up

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This has been the warmest winter on record in Canada:

This winter's preliminary figures show temperatures averaging 3.9 C above normal.
That makes it not just the warmest winter but the most overheated season – winter, spring, summer or fall – on record.
The weather has been even more unseasonable in some places than in others.

Article.

Also, NASA calls 2005 the warmest year in a century

Most authorities are free in declaring this to be the result of global warming - and being noticably careful about not attributing a cause to global warming. But honestly, it's very interesting to me that ten years ago we were hearing about this global warming thing that was going on, and now its effects are anecdotal news items.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was a nice change though, I like the milder winter :)

Truthfully 3.9 seems rather low from the difference here in Winnipeg... It was a very nice winter compared to what we usually get.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes the warmer winter was lovely. We had a bit of a -40 cold spell that lasted 4 days in February and you should have heard us whining about it. It was like we had never lived through it before. :)

Winnipeg's January temperatures were amazing:

The average daytime high temperature in Winnipeg this January was -3.4 C when the average high should be -12.7 C.

Full Article

I guess the next few years will tell if this is going to be the norm. We might just end up with two months of incredibly freezing weather next year.

Ten years ago the global warming issue was like the sky was falling and now it is simply, oh, it is warmer. Strange.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have friends who just moved to Canada in October from Brazil. They were scared to death of the winters as they had heard so much about them. Now they think we are wimps for complaining so much!:rolleyes:

I don't think they really believe us when we explain how cold it can get...just wait until they get a typical Canadian winter.:EG:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are still political pundits who refuse to buy the theory or accept the evidence purely on grounds of party stance and manipulation of the masses.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I guess the next few years will tell if this is going to be the norm. We might just end up with two months of incredibly freezing weather next year.
Check out this chart:

Attachments

• $global warming chart.jpg
    $global warming chart.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 126

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where'd that come from, Dan?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These scientists need to get busy with terraforming. Then we can have custom weather. Snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas, then nice weather for golf otherwise.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought we were going to get away with a California-northern winter. Only had a few days of below zeros. Mostly it was around the freezing mark. Only had to shovel a few times and usually about 3 inches at a time. Well, until yesterday, I shoveled 6" while husband and son were in Florida.

Does that mean M'sota will be like Nebraska as in hot and humid in the summertime? Probably not as that humid air seldom gets here from the gulf. But I heard, read somewhere this year that our state will become more like Iowa - oh, no! So what does that make hot 110°-120° Arizona like in the summer-something similiar to a furnace. Oh yeah, that's what its like now. TW

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The downside is that disspite much warmer winter then usual I don't think we went more then a few days without a thunderstorm last summer, and that is definately not normal...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
The downside is that disspite much warmer winter then usual I don't think we went more then a few days without a thunderstorm last summer, and that is definately not normal...

..and we had snow flurries into the beginning of May :(

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We had snow last night, and it's not supposed to get above 35 all week.

Really, I was ready for Spring.

Oh well.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well here in Texas it means that summer will be hotter than usaully and that means 100 plus days of over a 100% weather Golf in the AM before noon and TKD inside the rest of the day YEA!!!!!!!
Terry

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well here in Texas it means that summer will be hotter than usaully and that means 100 plus days of over a 100% weather Golf in the AM before noon and TKD inside the rest of the day YEA!!!!!!!
Terry

Yeah, that may be good for business! One hundred days of over 100°???!!!
We NEVER get over a hundred degrees in Minnesota. We think its wonderful for 80's to happen. TW

Latest Discussions