They Finaly Caught One

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I live across the street from a Good Will drop off point, and I can't tell you how many times I see people using it as a Good Will pick up point. Sometimes they get loud and people yell at them to be quiet while they steal, and I have called 911 once or twice, but the people are always gone when the police finally arrive. Tonight, however, I was walking to work after lunch, and, of course there was a truck leaving the site loaded with whatever, when what do I see, and undercover (as if) police SUV slowly following. I was elated and then watched the truck break at least three laws, mostly because I think he saw the SUV too, and was nervous. He pulled into a driveway believing it was a road, cut through a parking lot, and then drove the wrong way on the road, for a bit, due to a median. He was screwed. I don't know why they don't post police there more often.:)
Sean

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key is always, awareness of our surroundings while out and about, as well as our neighborhoods. Obviously the times you called 911 along with other calls that may have come through to 911, made a difference. Criminal activity gone unchecked could lead to more of the same, while endorsing in the minds of these individuals that this whole area is fair game. "Good Job".

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I live across the street from a Good Will drop off point, and I can't tell you how many times I see people using it as a Good Will pick up point. Sometimes they get loud and people yell at them to be quiet while they steal, and I have called 911 once or twice, but the people are always gone when the police finally arrive. Tonight, however, I was walking to work after lunch, and, of course there was a truck leaving the site loaded with whatever, when what do I see, and undercover (as if) police SUV slowly following. I was elated and then watched the truck break at least three laws, mostly because I think he saw the SUV too, and was nervous. He pulled into a driveway believing it was a road, cut through a parking lot, and then drove the wrong way on the road, for a bit, due to a median. He was screwed. I don't know why they don't post police there more often.:)
Sean

First thing I thought was... how can you steal what was "given away?" But of course ... it wasn't given to THEM. Yet if it's "free stuff" it can't be called stolen could it? Taken without permission? Umm, yeah okay but it's still free?
Yet Goodwill and other thrift places sell to make money to pay the people working there and other overheads that running a not-for-profit business (??) entails. So yeah it's stealing, even if it is 70-90% cheaper than when it was new at the store some years ago.

Look around your city and see how large it is... then divide that area size by the number of on-duty cops at any given time and it's a good indication of why a cop simply isn't posted in one location to watch one goodwill box. Maybe they'll catch more but someone else 4-5 blocks away just might really really NEED that officer.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yet if it's "free stuff" it can't be called stolen could it?

I don't know about American law but over here, yes, it's still stolen. Even if you have literally thrown something away, it is still 'yours' in the eyes of the legal system.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a bit of a problem when people drop things off and do not specifically put them into the bins designed for them. Technically, I believe it can be argued that the goods are abandoned; and anyone can take abandoned goods. An example (and one people don't like, but it's true in general) is that people can paw through your trash once you put it out. You've 'abandoned' it and you have indicated that you do not want it anymore. It's free to take by anyone who wants to.

Some cities may have specific legislation which makes taking things from a designated charity drop-off point a crime. In any case, I've seen it, and it's unfortunate. Whilst I hope that people who take from the donation bins are those who need the items. But from my own personal observation, I presume that many are 'pickers' who wish to resell.

I have also noted that in my neighborhood, people are reticent to set out things they no longer want for pickers to take - the pickers used to either take or not take, but now they paw through everything and leave a huge mess, all over the yard and street, and people get tired of cleaning that up. The same for donation drop-off sites; some places that used to permit drop-off boxes on their property do not anymore because of the added cost and eyesore of the mess the pickers leave behind. It's a sad indictment on human greed.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know about American law but over here, yes, it's still stolen. Even if you have literally thrown something away, it is still 'yours' in the eyes of the legal system.
Yeah... don't touch my garbage, even if I won't. Kinda stupid if you ask me.

Reminds me of something that I read a while back... where a lady was trying to get rid of an old fridgerator (or something like that) and set it out in her yard with "Free!" sign taped on it... nobody touched it. So, she put "For Sale $25.00 O.B.O." in a couple of days it was "stolen", go figure.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally speaking -- abandoned property is fair game. And donations are often simply piled, not placed in collection areas.

Once property is abandoned on public space (it gets complicated when you're talking a commercial lot or area that's open to the public as to whether the stuff is in the curtilage or not), and nobody has asserted any dominion, control, or custody over it, it's nobody's. That's how cops get access to people's trash... Trash runs aren't fun (I've never done one without finding dirty diapers, fuzzy food, and other "fun") but they're a great tool.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Theft here is 'dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intent to permanently deprive'

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Theft here is 'dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intent to permanently deprive'

Similar definitions, not surprisingly since most US law (outside of Louisiana) has roots from the Old Common Law. Theft or larceny is "the taking and carrying away the property of another with the intent to permanently deprive them of the use or benefit of the property." In a case like this, the question becomes who the owner is, and we start getting into issues of care, custody, dominion and control, as well as curtilage. If it was reported as an ongoing problem, I'd probably run it by the prosecutor to see their opinion rather than make charges that they'll drop.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't have the drop off areas anymore in our city, you just go to the stores themselves and they usually have signs saying not to leave the property unless there is an attendant there.

Latest Discussions