The worse rule ever enacted

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The no head contact rule is the worse thing someone ever came up with!
What is up with this? It teaches bad technique, bad defense, and bad offense. Last weekend I went to a tournament were they had no head contact for every age group and belt level and even allowed the black belts to decide if they wanted head contact or not. USAT goes from no head contact for kids and then they jump into a full contact knock out devision when they turn 14? Does that even make sense? Especially after they have just been taught that all they have to do is low roundhouse, low roundhouse, low roundhouse, low roundhouse forever and now they get to full contact with 17 year olds. One more reason we fight AAU. At least they do controlled head contact for the kids and then move them to the full contact. I hate to watch these no head contact tournaments. Terrible technique (or lack thereof) and no strategy. The no head contact rule is the biggest disadvantage done to the kids in the long run.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the non sport side no head contact is very bad too, I think for security sight inside dojang controled blows to the head using the helmet for the kids must be allowed, for adults must be the same, the head/face area is a critical zone to atack so controled blows to the head must be considered.

I have recivered several head/face kicks inside TKD all where at full speed and power and afther a set of broken theet, a broken nose and a well knock out I can tell you we don't want this for the kids.

Manny

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
What is up with this? It teaches bad technique, bad defense, and bad offense. Last weekend I went to a tournament were they had no head contact for every age group and belt level and even allowed the black belts to decide if they wanted head contact or not. USAT goes from no head contact for kids and then they jump into a full contact knock out devision when they turn 14? Does that even make sense? Especially after they have just been taught that all they have to do is low roundhouse, low roundhouse, low roundhouse, low roundhouse forever and now they get to full contact with 17 year olds. One more reason we fight AAU. At least they do controlled head contact for the kids and then move them to the full contact. I hate to watch these no head contact tournaments. Terrible technique (or lack thereof) and no strategy. The no head contact rule is the biggest disadvantage done to the kids in the long run.

USA is the only WTF nation that does that. Might be fear of lawsuits. America is sue happy.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Was this a sanctioned event? Or did the tournament director come up with this. I remember 2 years ago the USAT Event Staff changed around the head kick rules where groups that had been able to kick to the head, then couldn't and vice versa. I was unhappy about the non-notification (buried on page 14 of the Qualifier Book) and the BOD made a specific rule that no one could change the rules without major notice yadadada. So has USAT started ignoring this? or is it not a sanctioned event and for once USAT is innocent?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well this cannot be a USAT event as USAT allows light head contact for all black belts 8 - 13. Full head contact for all black belts 14 and up.

USAT also allows light head contact for all color belts 12 and up.

With that said, there are a ton of techniques that you can do and perfect with no head contact. Just being allowed to kick to the head does not mean you will be able to kick the head. When you sparr with no head contact you should be working on your timing and distance, footwork, checking (fainting), movement, ring management, setup skills, and thinking abilities. Once you have all those things down then you really don't need to go to the head. Most people have none of the skills I listed. They simply kick or punch always trying to simple hit what they see. They do not know how to create opening or opportunities.

I think that playing the game with no head contact creates a better fighter when head contact is allowed. Head contact is simply a small part of a much larger picture.

Also just because they don't allow head contact does not mean you can practice it in your dojang either. But like I said just because you are allowed head contact does not mean that you will be able to hit the head.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
USAT goes from no head contact for kids and then they jump into a full contact knock out devision when they turn 14?

Not sure where you're getting your information. By USAT rules 8-9 BB is light head contact, and all colored belts are also at 12-13. I believe that most schools that regularly compete spar with head contact sooner. Our 6 year olds do once they've been sparring long enough to know what they're doing...and of course everyone older than that.

I've occasionally seen tournaments go overboard with light head contact for everyone or not allowing kids any head contact. I agree that's a bad practice. Tournament directors in all organizations have been known to do their own thing. I don't think that makes it a bigger policy.

OP
T

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For once the USAT is innocent... this was a Canadian tournament... sigh... the Canadians used to be so tough. Although we have run into this same problem in the good ol USA as well.

Was this a sanctioned event? Or did the tournament director come up with this. I remember 2 years ago the USAT Event Staff changed around the head kick rules where groups that had been able to kick to the head, then couldn't and vice versa. I was unhappy about the non-notification (buried on page 14 of the Qualifier Book) and the BOD made a specific rule that no one could change the rules without major notice yadadada. So has USAT started ignoring this? or is it not a sanctioned event and for once USAT is innocent?

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I absolutely don't want any head contact at TKD tournaments regardless of rank for kids ages 11 & under. Trish Bare is a personal friend of mine, and she showed me her research she did on head trauma. I train ALL of me students regardless of age to do head kicks, but the 11 & younger are prohibited in sparring. I coach my kids to cover/cover punch and to break-fall to prevent their back of the head from hitting the ground. If anyone shows any signs of head trauma at my club, they can't spar CAN'T for 30 days and they have to see a Doctor!!! Had a female Blue Belt that got kicked in the head last year, and she wanted to come back early. I made her to home....

Both hemispheres of the brain are starting to work together between the ages of 8-12. Girls tend to start before boys do in the neurological & cognitive developmental stage. Trish told me that even the slightest of brain damage won't show up til years later. Before I was very hardcore and thought if you compete, then suck it up. Now as a Father, Coach, Sports Science, and Physical Education teacher......this safety issue puts kids first.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I absolutely don't want any head contact at TKD tournaments regardless of rank for kids ages 11 & under. Trish Bare is a personal friend of mine, and she showed me her research she did on head trauma. I train ALL of me students regardless of age to do head kicks, but the 11 & younger are prohibited in sparring. I coach my kids to cover/cover punch and to break-fall to prevent their back of the head from hitting the ground. If anyone shows any signs of head trauma at my club, they can't spar CAN'T for 30 days and they have to see a Doctor!!! Had a female Blue Belt that got kicked in the head last year, and she wanted to come back early. I made her to home....

Both hemispheres of the brain are starting to work together between the ages of 8-12. Girls tend to start before boys do in the neurological & cognitive developmental stage. Trish told me that even the slightest of brain damage won't show up til years later. Before I was very hardcore and thought if you compete, then suck it up. Now as a Father, Coach, Sports Science, and Physical Education teacher......this safety issue puts kids first.

I'm not a fan of full contact head blows either, but that's how fighters are currently training because that is the current rule. I'd be happy to see it changed.

OP
T

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Havent done USAT for a while due to their politics... they must have went back to light contact. But it all started with them.

Not sure where you're getting your information. By USAT rules 8-9 BB is light head contact, and all colored belts are also at 12-13. I believe that most schools that regularly compete spar with head contact sooner. Our 6 year olds do once they've been sparring long enough to know what they're doing...and of course everyone older than that.

I've occasionally seen tournaments go overboard with light head contact for everyone or not allowing kids any head contact. I agree that's a bad practice. Tournament directors in all organizations have been known to do their own thing. I don't think that makes it a bigger policy.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sue were this was supposed to get me? It took me to google search engine...

And did you bother reading any of the search results it gave you. Perhaps you could make a more informed decision on the matter if you read some of the opinions of the medical experts.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm much more cautious about head injuries than I once was. We've just learned too much about how much damage is done with even "mild" injuries...

That said -- I'm not a fan of "no head contact" rules. They tend to make for sloppy fighters, who don't protect their head. Or at least that's what's happening today...

OP
T

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually it didnt give me anything but a search engine thats why I said it gave me a search engine if it had given me some sort of results to read I would have read them with interest but since it didnt I couldnt. Since you have no idea of what I have read and what I have not read you have no idea of what I have based my decision on do you. So that would make you what?

And did you bother reading any of the search results it gave you. Perhaps you could make a more informed decision on the matter if you read some of the opinions of the medical experts.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I did provide appropriate keywords to search for also. Maybe you should try them or similar keywords. Unless you are happy to remain ignorant.

OP
T

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thats what I love about this site. Ignorant people assuming that everyone else is ignorant just because they are.
I have actually done some pretty extensive research on this subject for personal reasons. Have you? Have you ever found a study SPECIFICALLY done on head impact for TKD? Have you ever found one that specifically studies the impact that a 8 to 11 year old can produce? How much the head gear absorbs? To my knowledge there isnt one (although I remember a guy at Nationals one year trying to do a experiment on it but never found out what happened with it). Everyone wants to quote or refer to the mysterious study that says that TKD head kicking is bad for the younger kids. Asked for it. No one has ever been able to produce it other than general studies that say that kids getting hit in the head is bad for them... no kidding. But those studies are GENERAL studies that cover all impact to the head. They do not specifically study TKD. They have not studied the average impact of an 8 year old. They are general studies. These same studies say the same thing for adults by the way.... getting hit in the head for any age is bad for you. Heck I could have told you that and I didnt even need to do a study to tell you it.
In no way do I advocate full contact for this age group. But controlled kicks to the head should be allowed. I ask you this: How many times have you seen a 8 to 12 year old suffer a concussion at a tournament were head kicking was allowed (or in your gym)? Thats not the age you see it in. You see it in the 12 and up were they are starting to be able to generate more power and have the leverage and body weight to put behind it.
Another solution would be to put those red foam bootys on them and only allow them to kick with the top portion of the foot. This would allow for more padding and less impact.

Well I did provide appropriate keywords to search for also. Maybe you should try them or similar keywords. Unless you are happy to remain ignorant.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe this should be another thread, but I wonder how the idea of full contact got started in tournaments?

When I studied TKD in the mid-60s, contact was not allowed except in blocks. Now I understand the idea of feeling pain in a fight so you learn to ignore it as much as possible. That has some merit.

But the way we were taught, the power we were taught to develop, full contact would break limbs and kill. BTW, that is a corporate we, I only got to 8th green, but I had power at or above my level. Is that type of control not taught any more?

I didn't go to any, but I was told by other students, not exercising control at a tourney would get you disqualified. It would certainly get you some stern warnings from our teacher in the dojo. You had to miss by a lot until you had the control to get closer.

Latest Discussions