The Trouble with Green Tea

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Trouble with Green Tea
http://www.realage.com/ct/tips/5248
Did you know that most of the free-radical fighters in green tea never make it to your bloodstream? But there's a solution.
To get a better grasp on the healthy catechins in your green tea, flavor your cuppa with a squeeze of citrus juice.
Green Tea Booster
Catechins -- the antioxidants in green tea famous for lowering your risk of chronic disease -- quickly lose their power in your intestine. In fact, as much as 80 percent of the catechins in green tea are never absorbed. The solution to boosting absorption, researchers recently found, is as simple as flavoring your tea with freshly squeezed and strained lemon, orange, lime, or grapefruit juice.
I love green tea and try to drink a 16 oz bottle of it once a week (arizona brand green tea with ginsing or the wonderfully flavored Pomergrante). Since I take Vitamin C each day at least I know this is going to help. :D

Any of you Green Tea lovers? Do you like it hot or cold or both? How long you been drinking it. Did you start drinking it before/after starting MA?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I love green tea and try to drink a 16 oz bottle of it once a week (arizona brand green tea with ginsing or the wonderfully flavored Pomergrante). Since I take Vitamin C each day at least I know this is going to help. :D

Any of you Green Tea lovers? Do you like it hot or cold or both? How long you been drinking it. Did you start drinking it before/after starting MA?

Hot, unflavored, unsweetened, Chinese green tea and many times chinese style too. And I started drinking it after I started MA but then I started MA in the early 70s so I started drinking a lot of things after I go into MA

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I love Green tea my teacher said drink Gun powder Greent tea and Dragon well Green tea. My wife being from Japan I drink Bancha or Matcha as well as other highly graded Green tea. Its going to be tough drinking it with some flavoring.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My mom is Japanese so I grew up with it in the house but really didn't start drinking it regularly until about 5 years go. Now I have a cup daily, always hot and unsweetened, though the tea I use for drinking is flavoured with a bit of ginger.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer white tea - naturally sweeter, supposedly higher in antioxidants (which, apparently, never make it to your bloodstream) and just a better flavor.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes green, sometimes red or black. White has such a "delicate" and "refined" flavor that it's like drinking hot water homeopathically treated with grass. Emperor's new clothes and all that.

I like the Arizona one with ginseng and honey, but with a little jiggery-pokery you can make a really good taste-alike for a fraction of the cost.

My favorite is the Tanzanian grocery store tea "African Pride". It's hard to find in North America. Most of the exports go into Irish Breakfast blends. I finally found a place in Canada called African Treasures which sells it and a few Tanzanian and Kenyan Estate teas. The best thing about it is the really low tannin level. You can brew it strong enough to lift bricks, and it doesn't stew.

The only one I can't stand is Lapsang Souchong. It's like someone let the tea rot and then ran it through a barbecue smoker.

Portland is a very beverage-friendly city. First microbrews, then espresso, then tea and now microdistilling. There are two very nice tea-houses in the neighborhood and others like The Tao of Tea a short drive away.

Karate_Warrior

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I actually started today:) (so, yes after I started with Martial Arts.)

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I drink longjing (long ching) a high grade Chinese green tea.

I also drink gyokuro a high grade Japanese green tea.

You can taste the difference between the different types of green teas.

You can order these teas at:
http://www.chadotea.com/

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like green tea and white tea. I order my green tea online, as like Hawke stated, there is a difference in the way green teas taste and I found a Chinese green tea online that I like hot and unsweetened. I also take a green tea supplement in the form of capsules.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK A moment to brag and play on my familial ties to China.

I get my green tea directly form Beijing.... for free. :D

OK I await my much deserved beating for that statement… but I just HAD to do it :uhyeah:

On occasion I will admit I do buy various types of tea in Chinatown but not often.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For store-bought, cheap American stuff, I like Tetley brand Green tea - NOT because the tea is so much better, but because the BAGS are so much better. I brew green tea by the gallon almost every day, and I have never had one of the Tetley bags burst open. I have had every other major store brand tea bag break open. Also, the Tetley bags have no staples, papers, or string (all of which I can taste in the tea for other bags).

Yes, being an Amerian "Tea Neanderthal", I then cool the entire pot and drink it cold/iced. For flavoring, I will add just a bit (about 3 tablespoons to the gallon) of any Welch's frozen juice concentrate (readily available with kids in the house). This adds that bit of vitamin C for absorption, and a whole variety of flavor. I particularly like adding Raspberry Cranberry, Cranberry, or Passion Fruit, although Apple, Apple/Grape, CranApple, etc. all work well.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK A moment to brag and play on my familial ties to China.

I get my green tea directly form Beijing.... for free. :D

OK I await my much deserved beating for that statement… but I just HAD to do it :uhyeah:

On occasion I will admit I do buy various types of tea in Chinatown but not often.

:whip: ;)

Lucky.

Latest Discussions