The Single Greatest Disclaimer EVER

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Read down half way through all of that then ... sheesh!
Covering their butts purty dang good.

Had to been written by an attorney :rolleyes:

No, I probably wouldn't go there either. Wouldn't be able to sue them for a mosquito bite.

Sheesh.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why not just say, Stay the hell away from here, idiot! and be done with it??

PS: I notice from their photos that they have no problem with drilling, and probably putting expansion bolts, in the rock faces. Great folks, these...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The same sort of disclaimer could be made for most any place where physical activity takes place. I think it's a sad statement of our "sue happy" nature in this country that anyone would feel the need to do a disclaimer like that to cover their butts.:rpo:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personally like the last line.

In short, ENTER AND USE THE PRESERVE AT YOUR OWN RISK. And have fun!

And have fun! lol

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watching the evolution of disclaimers vs novel theories of liability by lawyers is something like studying the arms vs armor races in the military sphere.

This is the state of the art disclaimer, which essentially says you can pay to use our premises but we accept no liability for anything.

As more businesses see trial lawyers advancing theories for idiot clients like the McDonald's customer who put hot coffee between her thighs - and juries granting huge awards to the fools - expect to see more disclaimers like this.

Businesses once sought precautions to guard against everything foreseeable - and got successfully sued anyway by plaintiffs many of you would find undeserving..... resulting in this new disclaimer 'armor' which says the owners take no responsibility for anything real or unlikely, actual or fanciful.

They will eventually be sued anyway, and it will be interesting to see what protection this gives... if any.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... couldn't the disclaimer just say THAT? :rolleyes:
Nah, probably not. 'Cause you know someone would get poked in the eye with a sharp stick and scream "They didn't say that 'anything' meant sharp sticks too!" Good grief, it burns me when people are too lazy to work for a living so they try to get set up for life at the expense of someone else. Genuine neglegence I can understand a lawsuit for a REASONABLE amount but suing for some of the crazy stuff that goes on just drives me batty! yes, Caver. I said "batty".

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nah, probably not. 'Cause you know someone would get poked in the eye with a sharp stick and scream "They didn't say that 'anything' meant sharp sticks too!" Good grief, it burns me when people are too lazy to work for a living so they try to get set up for life at the expense of someone else. Genuine neglegence I can understand a lawsuit for a REASONABLE amount but suing for some of the crazy stuff that goes on just drives me batty! yes, Caver. I said "batty".

Batty.... BATTY? BAT? BAT! BAT!
you mean one of these things?

ok back on topic... :
It's still a lot to say just to make sure all the bases are covered. Ridiculous is just the only word for it.

Attachments

• $pallid-mouth-open.jpg
    $pallid-mouth-open.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 252

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, Caver you know how it can be... Im sure you have run into dangerous situations Caving, I know I have climbing... we have run into snakes on ledges, falling rock, loose ground on steep trails... a lot of stuff they mention on their disclaimer.

You know that disclaimer is meant for the average idiot who thinks "gee, this wilderness would be a fun place to go... its open to the public so it MUST be safe." Of course anyone with 1/2 a brain knows that the first part of Wilderness is "Wild" and that means exactly what it says...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, Caver you know how it can be... Im sure you have run into dangerous situations Caving, I know I have climbing... we have run into snakes on ledges, falling rock, loose ground on steep trails... a lot of stuff they mention on their disclaimer.

You know that disclaimer is meant for the average idiot who thinks "gee, this wilderness would be a fun place to go... its open to the public so it MUST be safe." Of course anyone with 1/2 a brain knows that the first part of Wilderness is "Wild" and that means exactly what it says...
Yeah, true.

Oddly enough of all the dangers and hazards I've faced while out in the wild(s)... none have been more dangerous than the "wilds" of the city streets where I've lived.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Had to been written by an attorney :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but at least it's written using common language instead of legaleze. That counts for something in my book.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I wonder what kind of disclaimers politicians should have to write? I think something along the lines of 'by voting for me I promise you nothing' would be a good and accurate start. . [/FONT]

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me nothing still beats the simple coffe cup marked with "Warning, contents might be hot!" It kind of sums it all up.

"I'm sorry to say that the world has become a *****-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of robed sissies." -Simon Phoenix

jamz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think it was hysterical. Obviously written by climbers with a sense of humor. :)

I also note it's privately owned, that might have something to do with it. Loks like an incredibly fun place to climb!

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nelson is a fun place. it's close to Seneca Rocks WVA and was a good place to just get out of the car and climb for a while. Its a bit harder to use these days and Seneca is free access (not to mention the greatest climbing around) so...

Disclaimer: I have not been there for over three years and and all information in this post may be wrong. In short, I am not responsible for your failure to properly understand the area called Nelson Rocks, but read this post and have fun!

Latest Discussions