The Side Parry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anything you do knife against knife is risky and you can sit back and second guess it until the cows come home. I didn't make this up. Its been part of using a big knife. And no one said anyone would be "standing in the pocket." Everything is dynamic and used when the opportunity presents itself. If the opportunity isn't there....you do something else instead. And I specifically stated in the video that this comes into play when you find yourself at middle range. Its better to be further out so you can evade. But that isn't always possible.
But the video shows you standing in the pocket doing knife parries in slow motion. I just wonder how many of those would be stopped at full speed, when you aren't aware exactly when it's coming.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anything you do knife against knife is risky and you can sit back and second guess it until the cows come home. I didn't make this up. Its been part of using a big knife. And no one said anyone would be "standing in the pocket." Everything is dynamic and used when the opportunity presents itself. If the opportunity isn't there....you do something else instead. And I specifically stated in the video that this comes into play when you find yourself at middle range. Its better to be further out so you can evade. But that isn't always possible.
yes it is, people tend to die in a knife fight, which is why any training you do has to be based on some reality.

this is what a knife fight looks like, it's a game of speed, , you'll notice that no one is standing there like a wardrobe try ingto parry, because you will end up dead

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes it is, people tend to die in a knife fight, which is why any training you do has to be based on some reality.

this is what a knife fight looks like, it's a game of speed, , you'll notice that no one is standing there like a wardrobe try ingto parry, because you will end up dead

you'll also notice the looser got stabed 3 times in 30 seconds, that's30$ right there and anothe 59 and a half mins to go,

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you'll also notice the looser got stabed 6 times in 30 seconds, that's 60$ right there and anothe 59 and a half mins to go,

I have heard you talk of reality in training a few times, and a lot of the time you are correct, the 2 gentleman in your video have obviously trained for a while, if you bring knife drills into class at that speed, you will get chaos, it will look like a muppet movie gone wrong, and the students would have learn't jack.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with most of the comments on this not working very well. However this technique concept becomes much more usable with an increase in blade length such as a machete. I have used similar techniques side parry at decently high speed while sparring with machete.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have heard you talk of reality in training a few times, and a lot of the time you are correct, the 2 gentleman in your video have obviously trained for a while, if you bring knife drills into class at that speed, you will get chaos, it will look like a muppet movie gone wrong, and the students would have learn't jack.
well if they learn that the fastest one tends to win, , and that people don't do attacks like a tennis backhand, then that in it's self might be enough to keep them alive,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with most of the comments on this not working very well. However this technique concept becomes much more usable with an increase in blade length such as a machete. I have used similar techniques side parry at decently high speed while sparring with machete.

maybe, it most certainly a technique will could work with a long blade designed to slash, then it's traveling a long way, but to try and make it work, they have people slashing from unnatural positions, instead of trying to stick you with the pointy end, or knifes are just faster th swords to manipulate

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well if they learn that the fastest one tends to win, , and that people don't do attacks like a tennis backhand, then that in it's self might be enough to keep them alive,
Jobo tactic coming here, my guess is you don't teach, or if you do, you have a high turn over of students, hey new boy, your in, this blue belt and you are gonna knife fight, forget techniques just be real fast.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jobo tactic coming here, my guess is you don't teach, or if you do, you have a high turn over of students, hey new boy, your in, this blue belt and you are gonna knife fight, forget techniques just be real fast.
well yes really, if you haven't got the whole body speed, you r techniques are useless and that's not counting techniques like the parry, which are useless to begin with.

really if you want to knife fight , play tag, it's the same game, but with much less consequences

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well yes really, if you haven't got the whole body speed, you r techniques are useless
For an experienced MA, I would agree, but for students no, technique before speed, if you watch his video again, you will see it is for educational purposes.
And to dismiss the parry as a useless technique, you have lost the plot. FMA, JMA, CMA, all use them

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For an experienced MA, I would agree, but for students no, technique before speed, if you watch his video again, you will see it is for educational purposes.
And to dismiss the parry as a useless technique, you have lost the plot. FMA, JMA, CMA, all use them
but it's those " experience knife fighters in that vid didn't, and are you really putting forward a point that if it's in CMA it MUST work? really.

if it's completely useless to the pint of getting you killed, does it really come under the heading of educational, rather than just dam right dangerous.

the only " techniques that matters is keep the pointy end pointing towards your opponent andbeing fast enough to hit your opponent before they hit you, that's it, if your incapable of developing that speed and co ordination, then you are wasting your time and should practise running instead

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are just trying to get the most posts in a month award arn't you

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you telling me that knife parry works reliably with a high% if success, ? If not I'm not sure what point your making, that doesn't end with a Bowie knife stuck in your chest,
In the right situation, it's reasonable. As for high %, that depends how you view that term. I doubt there's much that's 90%+ in dealing with a knife. And I also doubt there's much that's even relatively high % unless it's well trained.

Reactions: KPM

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the video shows you standing in the pocket doing knife parries in slow motion. I just wonder how many of those would be stopped at full speed, when you aren't aware exactly when it's coming.
I suspect the slow motion goes with staying in the pocket - or rather, the other way around. In order to be able to make the technique simpler to view/easier to practice, it's done with a regulated environment that allows standing in the pocket. The same happens in every art/style/system I've seen, at the beginning level of most techniques. Watch the first intro of a single-leg, and it's never as chaotic as an actual match. It's also more static, less resisted, and slower. This is the same principle.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's closer to the dynamic. The Bowie knife is a bigger knife, so some of what's possible with it is more akin to sword work. If someone is coming in charging hard (like the winner in that video), I'm guessing there's less opportunity to parry. Probably more chance to parry the loser's approach, but that's a guess.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Its an instructional video! What do you expect? There isn't room to move around much when we have to stay inside due to the weather. And again....see my post on the sparring drill to develop the side parry. How is this so different than blocking a punch with a Pak Sau when you aren't aware exactly when it's coming?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

And that is a sparring match, not an instructional video. You have to first learn something, practice it, and develop it if you want to have any hope of using it in that kind of scenario. Don't you even understand the basics of how martial art training works??? :eek:

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

True. And I am using a Bowie Trainer with a 10 inch blade. But the side parry is not going to work with a blade any less than about 8 inches long. Maybe Jobo is picturing something much shorter and simply doesn't understand Bowie Knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions