The role of an assistant instructor

jacktnicol

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For my up and coming WTF 2nd dan test (currently school 2nd) i have to right an essay with a min. of 8 pages on the role of an assistant instructor. I am still laying the ground work for the essay and would greatly apprreciate any ideas on the topic.

J.N.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No offense, but I'd start with making sure you don't confuse write and right. A bit of the grammar police coming out in me. I'll be testing for my 2nd dan in June as well, good luck. The topic is a bit vague, an assistant instructor's role will vary from school to school. What is the general setup. Do you help teach at all, what have you done? Give us a bit more info to work with.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First thing you should do is apply a little brain storming, think about your routine as an assistant instructor write down everything that you do, what your duties are like, your responsibilities, then read it over make sure you have everything then begin to type your essay.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. How do you buff "Assistant instructors assist with simple exercises" out to eight pages? I mean, you could maybe fill it out to two pages, covering just about anything he (the assistant) may be called upon to do, but eight?

Use lots of big diagrams.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
No offense, but I'd start with making sure you don't confuse write and right. A bit of the grammar police coming out in me. I'll be testing for my 2nd dan in June as well, good luck. The topic is a bit vague, an assistant instructor's role will vary from school to school. What is the general setup. Do you help teach at all, what have you done? Give us a bit more info to work with.

Grammar police:partyon:.

Seriously, Evenflow has good a thought on this. Your essay isn't on the on the culture of the fruitflies of Outer-Mongolia, its on something you do all the time. I know that because its martial arts, you want to do & say the perfect thing to impress your instructor. We all tend to put pressure on ourselves to do that 'round here. I'd write down the things you already do & maybe the things your instructor does. This might help you learn how to be a bigger help to him (as an assistant) & also to grow into the role of Senior in the future.

BTW, Welcome to MT!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first thing is find out what your school hold for the title assistance instructor and go from there, so many schools have different roles for there instructors and without the fine print we can not make an intelligent contribution to your question
Master Stoker

OP
J

jacktnicol

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry about the grammer i wrote it after a long training/teaching session.

At our branch school i am assistant head instructor and run the shcool when the head instructor ins't able to. So basically i'm 2nd in command. I've trained under this instructor since white belt(9 years) and have seen many people in my current role. I also feel that he thinks that I will leave on short notice as many passed instructors (of course I have no intention of doing so). Dispite this we have a close master-student relationship and he has coached me at many tournmants (sparring and form) and I have also had the chance to sit in his coach chair at one sparring comp.

J.N.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jacknicol,

Welcome to MT!

It sounds to me that you are doing more than just assisting in classes (this is not meant to minimize the contributions of any assistant instructor)? When you say "run the school", I am thinking you are helping with administrative work (i.e. keeping track of attendance, doing marketing, inventory, payroll)? One could eail write a book let alone a paper of each of these areas as they relate to running a business whether it is a martial arts school or a book store.

Miles

OP
J

jacktnicol

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yep
Its alot more then any of the other assistants do but with that and my technical/teaching abilities it's what puts me 2nd in command.

Thinking about it now I probaly got the admin. work because of the fact that I teach an itense number of class and make it seem like TKD is my whole life(which it pretty well is).

J.N.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Will vary greatly...

Could be anything from helping the new people get the basics to running most of the general classes.

You'll have to look at your school and how it runs things to get an answer.

Latest Discussions