The Return of the King

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK folks ... I just got back from the 10:30 show... and will shortly be leaving (with the family) for the 7:05 show.

It is a must see. Many of the same points mentioned in the Two Towers thread hold true in ROTK. Gimli gets most of the good lines. The Battle scenes are impressive, but not as much as I expected. The score is wonderful.

They had to edit some of the stuff to make the story work, of course, but for those familiar with the books, it does a really good job.

I think the movie will seem extra long to those who have not read the book. Several of the people sitting near me made comments to that effect.

Perhaps my biggest disappointment is that Jackson never fully reveals who holds the Three Elvish rings, and even hints in the wrong direction.

Oh, yeah .... and Bilbo, in his final scene, looks an awful lot like Noonian Sung from Star Trek the Next Generation (He created Data and Lore and was played by Brent Spiner in heavy makeup).

Enjoy - Mike

T

TheRustyOne

*bounce* I loved it! My sister and I went to the 11:45 show, first show of the morning. It was way better than I thought it could be...and the Paths of the Dead scene was wonderiferous! Done so well...

He kind of hinted as to who owned the Elvish Rings. I think you've seen them on Galariel, Elrond and Gandalf's fingers in the previous movie.

Wonderful! Worth seeing again! *fangirl grin*

T

TheRustyOne

And there's nothing like arguing about the books (including Silmarillion) with fellow fans in line while waiting for them to start selling tickets...and getting weird looks from the sibling...hehe!

They could make the Silmarillion into a movie...the first half would have to be a musical, tho...since that's how Illuvitar made the world....:p

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We went to see the 10:30 showing yesterday morning and we loved it! After it was over, we couldn't hardly speak and our brains just felt totally overwhelmed! We're trying to figure out when we can see it again and I can't wait until the Extended Version with the extra scenes comes out!!!

Robyn :asian:

Attachments

• $cdcover.jpg
    $cdcover.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 232
C

clapping_tiger

I went and saw it last night. And even though I enjoyed most of the movie and give the Movie version the "thumbs up". I thought that the end really dragged on. After all that action and excitement and the incredible battle scene, to have to sit through the ending was tough. They bring you in and keep you at such a high point, they should try to have you leave the theatre in that mood, not let that feeling pass. When it comes to movies I don't think it is a good idea to put the audience through that. Especially if they are not hardcore fans (which I do not consider myself, I only read 2 of the books). The best thing to have done, in my opinion, would have been to wrap things up in just a few minutes. After all the good stuff they cut out of the books, I was confused on why they showed all they did in the end, they should have saved it for the extended version DVD. The movie could have been at least 20 minutes shorter I think. But don't get me wrong, I really liked the movie and will be seeing it again I am sure.

Just one side note, Sam is the bravest character in the movie. What do you think?

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Long Ending ...

If you haven't read the end of the book, it certainly does seem like a long ending. The book ends with several lengthy chapters that wind down the events of the 4 hobbits.

From the book point of view ... Jackson cut a lot from the ending of the movie to keep it as short as he did.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seig bought our tickets for yesterday's showing at 4:20 on the phone, good thing cuz they were sold out when we got to the theater. And those front row seats sure aren't good spots.. Gawd I had to sit with my self all scrunched down and they left the mini lights on straight above our heads all the while. It was an excellent movie and I tend to agree the ending scene did drag out. I definitely will have it to add to our collection as soon as it comes out on DVD :D

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam is the bravest character in the movie. What do you think?

I'd say Eowyn. If the Witch King was in front of me, only thing he'd be looking at is my bum running away. Of course...Theoden was in trouble...soo.

SPOILER ALERT

I was really disappointed that the Scouring of the Shire was taken out. Jackson apparently never liked that part of the story. The way he laid everything out, it completely leaves you hanging on what happens to Saruman, etc. Didn't care for that.

He also never explained how Meri was able to injure the Witch King....again...it just didn't make a lot of sense (to people that never read the books). The Witch King standing there boasting (as well as Gandalf saying the same) that no man can kill him, then he's dropped to the knees by a hobbit and killed by Eowyn. A few people in the theater near me said, "Huh???" right about that time.

The struggle with Frodo and Gollum dragged on. I just sat there thinking, "FALL ALREADY".

Otherwise, I loved it. I can't wait to see the extended version...maybe some things that I'd hoped to see in the movie will show up...except the Shire battle :(

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eowyn didn't get the recognition deserved. I agree with you Jay she was very brave~!
I guess not many 'saw' her kill the Witch King... so she wasn't even 'recognized at the end'

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed that the Scouring of the Shire was left off as well, it was always one of my favorite chapters.

Regarding the Witchking death, without the Barrowdowns in Fellowship you don't have the Arnor-origins of the blades that Sam, Merry, and Pippin carry. Blades that were in part created to oppose the forces of Angmar. It was this weapon that was able to wound the Witchking.

Glorfindel sometime in the second age made the prophecy that "no mortal man" could kill the Witchking. Merry is not a Man, he is a Hobbit. Eowyn is not a man, she is a woman (talk about a stupid clarification, as every guy in the audience knows who the real woman in the LOTR is, but I digress....)

Theoden did not proclaim Eomer to be his heir, nor does the movie bring out the relationship between Theodon and Merry, oh well, every extended version has been better than the original, I suspect this one will be as well.

I liked this movie, but it doesn't have the same appeal to me as Fellowship did.

Lamont

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SPOILER -

Its about a Ring.

Oh wait...you knew that. :)

Def. a good movie....am planning on seeing it again....next time possibly on the local IMAX.... (Definately want an IMAX theater in my mansion....) :)

T

TheRustyOne

Did anyone else really wanna smack Elrond throughout all three??

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I am the only one who is

"BORED OF THE RINGS"

Hahahaha

Ok, I admit it... I stole that line from a parody book title.

heh heh. I actully really liked these movies.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Saw it and LOVED IT! Will consider seeing it again (when it's captioned ;) ).
Battle scenes were very well done considering. I too was bummed out by the missing "Scouring of the Shire" which I felt was very important as it helped establish how the entire journey had affected the four hobbits. Before you could scatter them to the four points of the compass with a simple "BOO!" but now... they won't take crap from no-body.

Samwise Gamgee definitely the bravest of them all. Eowyn yes definitely brave for standing up to the Witchking and defying her Uncle's orders to remain behind. Merry's part could've been played out longer as well. Pippin's was given reasonable due but could've use a few more moments. Hopefully all of it will be on the expanded version of the DVD.

Great movie without a doubt. Rumors abound that the studio plans to release all three again at once to marathon showings around the country... time to stock up on the caffine.

T

TheRustyOne

Originally posted by Technopunk
I guess I am the only one who is

"BORED OF THE RINGS"

Hahahaha

Ok, I admit it... I stole that line from a parody book title.

heh heh. I actully really liked these movies.

I think I've read that...

somewhere I have "Roadkill of Middle Earth." really funny stuff!

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Saw it on Sunday... great movie.

I agree with the Elrond opinion. He was not like that in the books, neither was Arowen (sp). Did anyone else think that she was stong in the first half of Fellowship? After that she went into "lip-quiver" mode.

Also during the Eowyn moment, when the line "I am NOT a MAN" came out, all the females in the theatre cheered!

Waiting on DVD

Latest Discussions