The power of the .50

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have an interesting video clip. As its kinda graphic, Im not certain how it will be recieved here. I wont directly link it, but we can discuss it. Go to my webpage link below and check the media section.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
when I clicked on your link this is what I got.

The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

V/R

Rick

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Too many people looked at it I guess. Have to try again in an hour. Sorry. Its a free site.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now my sites back up too...

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kaa-booommmmm!!!

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So much for the "You cant use a .50 cal on individual troops" myth. That one still floats around even in some military circles.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I have an interesting video clip. As its kinda graphic, Im not certain how it will be recieved here. I wont directly link it, but we can discuss it. Go to my webpage link below and check the media section.
They look like watermelons exploding. I wonder why they chose to film.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
They look like watermelons exploding. I wonder why they chose to film.
At first I wasn't totally sure what they were shooting at... no, they certianly weren't watermelons... you can see from one shot the skull and spinal column goes flying along with other pieces of viscera and meat. On the last one it looked like a large rodent or something of the sort. The video's name is Counter Sniping in Afganistan.
So it's a .50 caliber sniper rifle then. Barrett I presume. I recall reading Marcinko's account of the S.E.A.L.'s and how they nick-named the shooters of those weapons "God" because they could reach out and touch someone without being seen.
Yeah, hit your target and there's no question that it's down.
Neat.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well that's certainly an effective method of dealing with a problem. I once knew a guy who was a former army sniper who said that a lot of guys referred to them as the AT&T guys. "AT&T?" "Yeah, AT&T, 'reach out and touch somebody" :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Well that's certainly an effective method of dealing with a problem. I once knew a guy who was a former army sniper who said that a lot of guys referred to them as the AT&T guys. "AT&T?" "Yeah, AT&T, 'reach out and touch somebody" :D
Ah okay that's where that part comes from... forgive me I was mixing metaphors and their sources. :rolleyes:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. Probably not a lot of "wounded" on the receiving end of that thing.

James Patrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not to be wimpy, but those ARE people on the receiving end of the .50 cal. It may be awe-striking to see the damage it can do, and academic discussion here is good, but let’s be careful that we are respecting life, huh? They may be “terrorists” and it may be “war,” but they are human lives and perhaps we should err on the side of somberness here.

James

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m107.htm

The .50 caliber Barrett Model 82A1/XM107 produces modest recoil energy. The weapon operating mechanism combined with an efficient muzzle brake reduce recoil energy to about 36 foot-pounds. The 25mm XM109 fires ammunition with essentially the same impulse as .50 caliber ammunition. However, the 25mm launches a much heavier projectile and uses much less propellant. The small amount of propellant limits the muzzle brake effects. The recoil energy of the XM109 exceeds 60 foot pounds. The suppressed version of the Model 82A1/XM107 produces significantly greater recoil energy than the muzzle brake variant of the 82A1/XM107, and is also a good candidate for recoil reduction efforts.

According to Operation Iraqi Freedom PEO Soldier Lessons Learned [LTC Jim Smith 15 May 2003] "The Barrett 50 cal Sniper Rifle may have been the most useful piece of equipment for the urban fight – especially for our light fighters. The XM107 was used to engage both vehicular and personnel targets out to 1400 meters. Soldiers not only appreciated the range and accuracy but also the target effect. Leaders and scouts viewed the effect of the 50 cal round as a combat multiplier due to the psychological impact on other combatants that viewed the destruction of the target.

“My spotter positively identified a target at 1400 meters carrying an RPG on a water tower. I engaged the target. The top half of the torso fell forward out of the tower and the lower portion remained in the tower.” 325th PIR Sniper

"There were other personal anecdotes of one round destroying two targets and another of the target “disintegrating.”

"The most pervasive negative comment was that snipers felt the Leopold Sight was inadequate for the weapon – that it was not ballistically matched. It the sight was zeroed for 500, 1000 and 1500 meters, soldiers did not feel confident in their ability to engage targets at the “between” distances (e.g. 1300 m). Snipers felt there were better sights available for this weapon such as the Swarovski. Sniper team spotters felt the tripod for the Leopold Spotter Scope could be better designed. COL Bray, Commander, 2d BCT, 82d Airborne Division supported an Operational Needs Statement for a Sniper Sight that would allow the sniper to identify targets as combatants or non-combatants out to 2000m."

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
James Patrick said:
Not to be wimpy, but those ARE people on the receiving end of the .50 cal. It may be awe-striking to see the damage it can do, and academic discussion here is good, but let’s be careful that we are respecting life, huh? They may be “terrorists” and it may be “war,” but they are human lives and perhaps we should err on the side of somberness here.

James

Not to sound like a 8 yr old... but I'll be somber if they'll be somber for the people they are killing on a daily basis. As you said it is war in war people die by whatever weapons are brought to bear upon them. The idea and intent is to get rid of the enemy in as quick and as effective method as possible.
This weapon is obvious fired from an extreme distance to targets well hidden and that they are bringing their weapons to bear upon our troops. Note the title of the video clip... "Counter-sniper".
I see and respect your view that these are fellow human beings. Problem is that they don't share your respect and view point. Given the opportunity they will kill as many as they can.
Thus they are a threat to those who are civilized enough to know that while killing is wrong... it is ... sometimes necessary.

Latest Discussions