The Power of Hung Gar in Self Defense

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The following self defense video is Grandmaster Lam Chun Sing's . It shows him defending himself from a neutral standing position from all different types of attacks.

His speed, technique, and power is what real kung fu in practice is all about. All martial artists would love to be able to defend themselves like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GdxrbowD5s

This video is also was also spotlighted on . . .
http://www.hungkyun.com/forum/

This forum has a wealth of information on Hung Gar Kung Fu

Regards,
Steve

RedRonin38

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The following self defense video is Grandmaster Lam Chun Sing's . It shows him defending himself from a neutral standing position from all different types of attacks.

His speed, technique, and power is what real kung fu in practice is all about. All martial artists would love to be able to defend themselves like this.

Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve, as a former practitioner of Hung Ga with many years under my belt (so to speak), I have to disagree with you on what the above video displays.

To my eyes, it showcases a huge issue with the way many people train thier Hung Ga applications. Staged, one move attacks from a cooperative partner are not a great demonstration of skill or technique. Its also clear from the video that the students involved do not know how to fall safely, and probably should refrain from practicing takedows until they do.

I'm not saying those things to be cruel or a "naysayer", because I have a deep love for this system. However these days its far more of a performance based art focused on forms and appearance rather than a fighting one based on function and experience.
Truth to be told, there are precious few Hung Ga people who are actively involved in San Shou, MMA, or any other full contact venue and one would be hard pressed to find a current generation of legitimate, experienced fighters within the main lineages of Hung Ga. Most schools shun these things and claim that they train for self defense, but the reality is they simply do not have the relevant experience to be involved in them on a competative level. There are exceptions of course, but overall it's a shame to see a video like this being touted as representative of good Hung Ga.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Steve, as a former practitioner of Hung Ga with many years under my belt (so to speak), I have to disagree with you on what the above video displays.

To my eyes, it showcases a huge issue with the way many people train thier Hung Ga applications. Staged, one move attacks from a cooperative partner are not a great demonstration of skill or technique. Its also clear from the video that the students involved do not know how to fall safely, and probably should refrain from practicing takedows until they do.

I'm not saying those things to be cruel or a "naysayer", because I have a deep love for this system. However these days its far more of a performance based art focused on forms and appearance rather than a fighting one based on function and experience.
Truth to be told, there are precious few Hung Ga people who are actively involved in San Shou, MMA, or any other full contact venue and one would be hard pressed to find a current generation of legitimate, experienced fighters within the main lineages of Hung Ga. Most schools shun these things and claim that they train for self defense, but the reality is they simply do not have the relevant experience to be involved in them on a competative level. There are exceptions of course, but overall it's a shame to see a video like this being touted as representative of good Hung Ga.

I understand the point you are making, but I'm not in full agreement with you.

Sure, the maneuvers were staged as such and were not true attacks. But it was such an edited video that it struck me as more of a demonstration of ideal technique, rather than an all out attack/defense kind of thing. So for that, I think the demo was interesting, to show how hung ga may deal with an attack.

Also, I didn't see any grossly poor falling techs. I saw some slapouts, as well as rolls, and I didn't see anything that struck me as dangerous or uneducated.

Third, I have never been convinced that MMA or similar competitions are the yardstick against which any other method must be measured. One can certainly be very capable with self defense, and have zero experience, or interest in, competition of any sort.

RedRonin38

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I understand the point you are making, but I'm not in full agreement with you.

Sure, the maneuvers were staged as such and were not true attacks. But it was such an edited video that it struck me as more of a demonstration of ideal technique, rather than an all out attack/defense kind of thing. So for that, I think the demo was interesting, to show how hung ga may deal with an attack.

Also, I didn't see any grossly poor falling techs. I saw some slapouts, as well as rolls, and I didn't see anything that struck me as dangerous or uneducated.

Third, I have never been convinced that MMA or similar competitions are the yardstick against which any other method must be measured. One can certainly be very capable with self defense, and have zero experience, or interest in, competition of any sort.

We'll have to agree to disagree then :) In my experience, in a fight whether it be in a ring or in a parking lot, no one throws a single technique and then freezes and allows a counter outside of a martial arts school. Staged demos are what they are...staged. Which in my opinion is particularly unrealistic and not at all representative of how things work under pressure.

I like some of the things in this video, although its not Hung Ga:

I also like this old demo. It's Hop Ga, but the spirit and intent of the old man is a pleasure to see:

I'm not interested in a mma vs. self defense debate but I will pose this question: What is the yardstick to measure capability to defend oneself if not competition?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not interested in a mma vs. self defense debate but I will pose this question: What is the yardstick to measure capability to defend oneself if not competition?

Hard work and realistic training. It's a nebulous yardstick. It's something that cannot really be measured in a truly objective way.

Why do you believe competition IS the yardstick to measure self defense capability? (I'm inferring from your posts that you believe this)

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How far in the system did you get & who was your Sifu?

RedRonin38

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hard work and realistic training. It's a nebulous yardstick. It's something that cannot really be measured in a truly objective way.

Why do you believe competition IS the yardstick to measure self defense capability? (I'm inferring from your posts that you believe this)

Fair question.
I beleive it serves in that capacity because its about as close as one can be to the adversarial nature of actual combat while maintaining enough elements of safety to do so on a regular basis. Its also much easier to document and gauge success in competition, and provides that elusive objectivity.

RedRonin38

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How far in the system did you get & who was your Sifu?

How far? 18 years. In terms of depth, I'm sure you would translate that into knowledge of forms. The answer to that is many. Too many, because beyond the pillar forms I see little need for more choreography.

My sifu? No. I'm not interested in Hung Ga/Gar/Kyun politics anymore and neither is he.

Also, My apologies...Clearly this thread has changed its focus due to my comments. I maintain that staged, one move demo's show nothing about a person's skill or technque. In my opinion the video presented in the original post is nothing special at all. I'm sorry if that opinion upsets or offends anyone but I'm not going to withold it for any quasi famous grandmaster.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fair question.
I beleive it serves in that capacity because its about as close as one can be to the adversarial nature of actual combat while maintaining enough elements of safety to do so on a regular basis. Its also much easier to document and gauge success in competition, and provides that elusive objectivity.

again, I see your point, and to an extent I believe that competition CAN be used as A yardstick to measure ability, but it is not THE yardstick in evaluating one's self defense abilities.

Light contact point sparring competition has little to offer real combat, in my opinion.

Heavier/full contact competitions have more to offer, depending on the rule structure and whatnot.

I don't deny the skills and abilities of those who train for MMA type competitions. They are tough, they train and push to the extreme, they can dish out and take a lot of punishment, and they use their techniques for real, within the context of how they train. The skills that they develop certainly have a valid carryover to real life self defense. I do not deny that. I just don't believe this is the only way to develop self defense skills, that's all. I believe that many people with zero experience in competition, and zero interest in competition, are very capable with self defense.

This is why I don't put any stock in the argument that a style or a method is no good for self defense, just because it isn't seen in MMA competitions, or any other competitions for that matter.

RedRonin38

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just don't believe this is the only way to develop self defense skills, that's all. I believe that many people with zero experience in competition, and zero interest in competition, are very capable with self defense.

In my time I've known a few of those people too. Some were natural, some were LEO's, some were military. The one thing they all had in common was the mental attributes of a fighter. I believe competition is a way to develop those, but can't deny that some poeple are just wired that way from the start.

Anyway, these kinds of discussions can get a bit dicey and it seems like its stayed away from getting out of hand and I thank you for that.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How far? 18 years. In terms of depth, I'm sure you would translate that into knowledge of forms. The answer to that is many. Too many, because beyond the pillar forms I see little need for more choreography.
My sifu? No. I'm not interested in Hung Ga/Gar/Kyun politics anymore and neither is he.
The politics arent my thing either. We have just had different experiences.
Also, My apologies...Clearly this thread has changed its focus due to my comments.
No need to apologize. This forum is more tolerant than most when it comes to a difference of opinion.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I do not know the Hung-Ga. But it is my favourite of all of the Chinese Martial Arts!

This may be the ideal phase, but do not all Students at some time practice this way? How can one learn without practicing this?

Look at this technique here, it is beautiful. Surely no one can say that to defend against the committed "haymaker" strike (which yes, DOES happen sometimes in the real-life attacks), would not be effective???

hungartt9.jpg

He is moving from this relaxed "normal" position. This must be seen as useful exercise, right? He is not in some stance, but from a normal standing position.

RedRonin38

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Look at this technique here, it is beautiful. Surely no one can say that to defend against the committed "haymaker" strike (which yes, DOES happen sometimes in the real-life attacks), would not be effective???

hungartt9.jpg

He is moving from this relaxed "normal" position. This must be seen as useful exercise, right? He is not in some stance, but from a normal standing position.

Well it might seem that way, however in my experience if you're not aware and prepared for such an attack. i.e. already posturing defensively and moving, you're probably going to get jacked. Remember, this is a demo. There's no real threat, there's little or no adrenaline, and the actor knows that the actee only throwing one attack because it agreed upon or choreographed. A single punch followed by freezing to allow the counter is not going to happen outside of a martial arts class or a movie set. Would it be effective? There's no way of telling without pressure.

This is why these things are misleading. Yes, he has great looking form. Yes, he uses technique representative of what's found in the forms of that system. Yes, he comes from a famous family. However, its a staged demo and does not show real skill because there is no real threat or pressure. Show those two sparring with heavy contact and a broad range of allowed technique and I garauntee that it will look nothing like what is in that video. Substitute a large opponent into that scenario, and it will change even more.

Anyone can make a great looking choreographed segment. Here's an example of what I'm talking about, but I'll use Judo because that's what I'm into at this time. This is sode tsurikomi goshi, basically a sleeve throw, first is demo version the second is in serious competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LLDjna0I1Q&feature=related

The first video is clean and nice, it looks great and no offense to the person demonstrating, it does not reflect a high degree of skill because there is no resistance. The second video is rough and not so clean compared to the first one, but in my opinion, shows a high degree of skill because its done under serious pressure.

Taking back to CMA...

Here's a demo of some Tang Long/Mantis Boxing. It looks nice and clean and shows technique, but is not reflective of much skill because once again there is minimal or no pressure.

Same system under a bit more pressue and demonstrating some tactical skill:

Same system, even more pressure. If we could see the technique from the first video, done under the pressure level in this one, I'd be really impressed!:

The Hung Ga video, is not bad or wrong, and the players in it are doing a great demo. But in my opinion its not representative of a high level of skill, power, or any sense of realistic application.

RR

Last edited by a moderator:

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
*EDIT*I'm not saying those things to be cruel or a "naysayer", because I have a deep love for this system. However these days its far more of a performance based art focused on forms and appearance rather than a fighting one based on function and experience.
I'm curious, what happened in your 18 years of training that brought you to this conclusion?

RedRonin38

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious, what happened in your 18 years of training that brought you to this conclusion?

I came to the realization that from the top names on down in Hung Ga there's far more myth than fact when it comes to people's ability and skill. Typically, through Hong Kong lineages (which are the most prevalent) there are 3 families considered to "carry the torch" for this system. None of them have produced a fighter with a documented or repeated record of defeating anyone, anywhere, in anything. The assumption always is: He learned from "so and so" and knows "these forms", therefore he must be good. Good, being a rather vague term for some sort of skill that is never actually tested or self evident through thier actions.

Finding that conclusion took years of talking with, meeting with, and touching hands with people who either were, or trained with big names in the system. Across the board with precious few exceptions, they would all rather demo or stack the deck with a cooperative minion than actually fight. In a martial art touted as a "hard as nails" fighting system, this is unacceptable. Of course its my opinion, and I do hope that other people are out there with different experiences, but most of the ones I've met who claimed so were no different from the others in the long run.

Lets turn that around. What is it about Hung Ga that makes you believe otherwise? I think its a great system mind you, but is lacking in representation based in fact.

RR

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Regards,
Steve
An interesting discussion/thread, which has manged to remain very civil. :asian:

I have no problem with the video insofar as it represents what I'm assuming it was intended to do: display how the defender might respond against various attacks (I have no background in the particular art, so am intruding, but hopefully in an acceptable manner :D).

There is one minor point I'd make regarding the OP, though, which is that I didn't see any speed on display. I have no problem with this, in that being a Kung Fu San Soo practitioner myself, I understand and appreciate practicing at less than full speed at times. And truth be told, I don't see a lot of power, either--leverage, yes, which imho is actually better, but not raw power. This is not a criticism of the video. It's just that in this thread sweeping claims are made, but not apparent to me in the vid.

Now technique, yeah, saw a lot of that. ;)

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I came to the realization that from the top names on down in Hung Ga there's far more myth than fact when it comes to people's ability and skill. Typically, through Hong Kong lineages (which are the most prevalent) there are 3 families considered to "carry the torch" for this system. None of them have produced a fighter with a documented or repeated record of defeating anyone, anywhere, in anything. The assumption always is: He learned from "so and so" and knows "these forms", therefore he must be good. Good, being a rather vague term for some sort of skill that is never actually tested or self evident through thier actions.
So much for staying out of the politics.
Lets turn that around. What is it about Hung Ga that makes you believe otherwise? I think its a great system mind you, but is lacking in representation based in fact.RR
My belief comes from personal experience. It has been there for me when needed. As I've stated in other threads Hung Ga is a wonderfully deep martial art with a lifetimes worth of study.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Typically, through Hong Kong lineages (which are the most prevalent) there are 3 families considered to "carry the torch" for this system. None of them have produced a fighter with a documented or repeated record of defeating anyone, anywhere, in anything.

what kind of documentation would you be satisfied with?

And why do you believe documentation is necesary? How many street fights or other self-defense situations might have gone unnoticed by the public? Maybe these guys have had their fair share of scrapes and whatnot in the street, and they don't go around bragging about them. They obviously didn't get filmed for our Youtube entertainment, so we don't hear about it. Why do you believe there would be ANY documentation for this kind of thing? Why do you believe it is reasonable to even hope for documentation of this kind of thing?

Just because something doesn't happen on TV in the MMA ring, or isn't on Youtube, doesn't mean it isn't out there.

Across the board with precious few exceptions, they would all rather demo or stack the deck with a cooperative minion than actually fight. In a martial art touted as a "hard as nails" fighting system, this is unacceptable.

RR

well, were you expecting them to fight with you? Just because you show up demanding answers, doesn't mean they are going to give them to you, especially if you are not their student. Showing up and demanding to see their fighting prowess is also unlikely to get the results you want. It seems to me that a lot of these guys can be kind of private about these kinds of things. You don't get these answers, or get to see this kind of thing, until you've shown a great deal of committment to learning what they have to teach, and they need to feel they can trust you. If you haven't built up that repoire, you just won't get to see it or hear about it.

RedRonin38

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane, HG1, I'm only expressing my opinion. We don't have to agree, and I'm certainly not interested in proving myself right because its a highly subjective situation. I will respectfully withdraw from this conversation because I'm nolonger actively involved with CMA other than some occaisional personal training.

Best to you in your continued studies of Chinese martial arts!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Flying Crane, HG1, I'm only expressing my opinion. We don't have to agree, and I'm certainly not interested in proving myself right because its a highly subjective situation. I will respectfully withdraw from this conversation because I'm nolonger actively involved with CMA other than some occaisional personal training.

Best to you in your continued studies of Chinese martial arts!

I'm not trying to beat down your opinion. I'm just pointing out a different perspective. I really think this discussion has remained very civil and I don't see any reason for you to back out of it, if you have more to say. Don't take anything I've said as a personal attack, it certainly was not meant to be such.

Latest Discussions