The outsourcing of the US Military

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another thread started to touch on Military outsourcing. This is becoming a huge issue now as we use contracts to fill a lot of gaps that we either don't have the manning, funding, or capability to fulfill.

Outsourcing is particularly hitting the support world hard. Civil Engineering, Security, Morale and Welfare, Food, etc have large portions now handled by contract. It has started to bleed over into the combat zone as well, using contractors for armed security details (as opposed to base security) and logistics patrols (read: Convoys).

So is all of this outsourcing a good thing or will we come to regret it in the near future?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is a good thing.... if we control it. There are many things that contractors can provide that the military just isnt capable of doing it.

But I am affraid some of the decisions to outsource certain things arent the smartest or well thought out decisions.

One negative thing I Have seen is some military members are pawning the work off on the contractors and not doing thier job. And no one is holding them accountable (the military member). The "thats not my job" is running wild and its because their is a contractor there to pick up the slack.

Another is the lack of accountability of a contractor. Depending on the job or contract, their is no one that can do anything about the problem anywhere around.

I know you probably want WAY more details, but those of us who see it know what i mean. If I get more time I will try to get specific.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The less KP duty, laundry, vehicle washing and gate duty I would have to do the better I say.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The less KP duty, laundry, vehicle washing and gate duty I would have to do the better I say.

Weeeeelllllllll...... you might rethink that when you have KPM contracters from 3rd world countries serving and prepairing your food while deployed overseas. I have a friend who is a DCMA (the guy who audits contractors) tell me about his last ordeal in Iraq. Of the 75 KPM workers in the Chow hall, 40 did not have the proper medical documentation needed to work(AKA shots, test results, etc), 3 tested positive for Hep b, and 20 more had infectious diseases when screened. THESE people were handling the Food served to our troops!

That my friend is no lie. Straight from the report he wrote. It is very scary to hear what he found throughout all of his inspections.

Like 19 deaths due to electrical shock from improper grounding of water heaters. All maintained by contractors who sub-contract workers from poorer countries.

And this was in a WARZONE (Iraq)

That is the contractors I have issues with. The American Contractors are doing a great job, but when it is sub'd out to 3rd world countries who have no pride or care about our soldiers......

Latest Discussions