The O'Franken Factor

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps this belongs in the 'Comedy Room' forum, but for now, we'll see how it does here.

On Wednesday, March 31, 2004, Air America Radio begins broadcasting in four major markets. Billing itself as 'progressive talk radio' ... for 'millions of Americans who for far too long have been and are being neglected by talk radio broadcasters'.

Of course, the most notable on air personality is going to be Al Franken. Others include Randi Rhodes (a 20 year veteran of liberal broadcasting in South Florida), Janeane Garofalo, Chuck D, Sue Ellicot and more.

Originally, broadcasts are set up for New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco. However, programs will be available at http://www.airamericaradio.com for audio streaming.

For decades now, the conservative, or even 'hyper-conservative' political point of view has dominated talk radio, while playing a large part in the political shaping of the United States.

So, if you are so inclined, keep your radio dials and web browsers tuned in this week, for the logic of the 'light side'.

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
For decades now, the conservative, or even 'hyper-conservative' political point of view has dominated talk radio, while playing a large part in the political shaping of the United States.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the info, and nice term 'hyper-conservative'. I tend to raise an eyebrow at a lot of these talk radio shows, regardless of topic/stance.... because radio is an advertising platform with a few interesting shows that play music so that we stay there long enough to hear those ads. And, just as wrong as political propaganda is, corporate propaganda for the sake of ratings/sales or the station owners personal agenda is wrong too.

Honestly, a lot of 'talk radio' now seems to be more about 'shock talk radio' to stir people up and get them to listen more - not so much about reasonable, adult conversations about any issues. Maybe the topic seems more substantial, but they are all going the way of Howard Sternish production. Real Time with Bill Mahar is my favorite for entertainment, but that is HBO.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chances are they won't play it on any stations in my town. We never had Howard Stern, lost Tom Leikis years ago, and never had "Laugh In" during the late sixties and early seventies. Our entertainment is chosen for us by Philosipher Kings.
Sean

S

shasticon

If you've got Realplayer and a broadband connection, you can stream it to your PC. I've been listening for about an hour now, and it's pretty good stuff. Oh, and I hear that they're broadcasting on XM Radio too, though I don't have one myself.

Latest Discussions