The Neutral Bow for Transition

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When executing techniques do you eliminate the neutral tranitions for speed? If so, which techniques have you rui... I mean, altered?
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When executing techniques do you eliminate the neutral tranitions for speed? If so, which techniques have you rui... I mean, altered?
Sean

Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, but here goes. :)

When I do techniques, I adapt the technique to me, not the other way around. We're all built differently, therefore, adjustments are going to have to be made. I'm not going to put myself into an awkward position just to keep the technique pure.

Some will disagree with this and thats fine.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, but here goes. :)

When I do techniques, I adapt the technique to me, not the other way around. We're all built differently, therefore, adjustments are going to have to be made. I'm not going to put myself into an awkward position just to keep the technique pure.

Some will disagree with this and thats fine.
The stance is a safety measure, not a position of awkwardness!
Sean

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Could you give an example?

How do you move if you don't transition through a neutral?

Lamont

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could you give an example?

How do you move if you don't transition through a neutral?

Lamont
That is a very good question! The question is why would you skip a basic transition point that should be in-bedded in your basic motion anyway. The answer is... I don't know but here are two examples:
Launching back to 4:30 directly into a forward bow as per "Thrusting Salute"

Or

skipping the neutral after the block in "Delayed Sword" to speed the kicking process in both cases.
Sean

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
skipping the neutral after the block in "Delayed Sword" to speed the kicking process in both cases.
Sean

Definitely don't skip the neutral bow on Delayed Sword. Without stabilizing yourself against the punch, you will simply get knocked over as you try to kick.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Launching back to 4:30 directly into a forward bow as per "Thrusting Salute"
Or

Well fortunately, I know those AK techs. :D
On Thrusting Salute, if you are moving with speed your back leg will be weighted at least 60%, I use that bent back leg as a shock absorber, then push off as I transition through the neutral and into the front kick. If you step directly to the forward bow, your leg can’t push off into the kick, so you can’t push forward into the kick, and you don’t have a hip pivot, it turns you into just a “leg kicker.”

With Delayed Sword, I am assuming the stance transition you are referring to is as you step down from the kick, and when you do the handsword. If you land in a forward bow you lose the defensive positioning of the forward leg, and the hip torque of the handsword. It turns you into an arm puncher, albeit an arm puncher with MOG.

It doesn’t feel comfortable to me, and really not something I want to ingrain in my students at early ranks. But I’m just a Tracy guy, what do I know.

Lamont

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the neutral bow stance? Is it a sort of high horse stance? If so, Choki Motobu thought that was the stance for real fighting.

"Twisting to the left or right from the Naifuanchin stance will give you the stance used in a real confrontation."

and

"The position of the legs and hips in Naifuanchin (the old name for Naihanchi) no Kata is the basics of karate."

---Choki Motobu

180px-

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
So the answer is "yes" it's a sort of high horse stance wher you twist to face your opponent.

Well you know how geeky kenpoists get about describing something....

I figured a pic was worth a bunch of words.

SL4Drew

Green Belt
Reaction score
So the answer is "yes" it's a sort of high horse stance wher you twist to face your opponent.

Not the way I do it. The "twist" with the upper body is bad. It is a horse stance, but the whole body is angled toward around 10:30.

I'm not sure I'd say that eliminating the neutral bow for speed is either desirable or good. Sometimes I'll use 'other' stances, but I wouldn't call that eliminating the neutral bow. I wouldn't call the Thrusting Salute example eliminating the neutral bow, it is just choosing a different stance.

And for me 'speed' is not the paramount concern. Having a stable lower platform and abiding by anatomical constraints are more important. This way you get both speed and strength through optimal physical performance.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not the way I do it. The "twist" with the upper body is bad. It is a horse stance, but the whole body is angled toward around 10:30.

I'm not sure I'd say that eliminating the neutral bow for speed is either desirable or good. Sometimes I'll use 'other' stances, but I wouldn't call that eliminating the neutral bow. I wouldn't call the Thrusting Salute example eliminating the neutral bow, it is just choosing a different stance.

And for me 'speed' is not the paramount concern. Having a stable lower platform and abiding by anatomical constraints are more important. This way you get both speed and strength through optimal physical performance.

My understanding of the NB is it is identical to a horse stance for the lower half, with the following exception (for a right stance in this example):
Horse = Toe/Toe line, head aligned to 12:00, whole body except head would face 9:00. Both toes would touch the 12:00/6:00 line.
NB = Toe/Heel line, head aligned to 12:00, whole body except head would face 10:30, right toe on right side of 12:00/6:00 line, left heel on left side of 12:00/6:00 line.

Essentially a NB for the lower half is a horse stance split by a toe/heel line instead of toe/toe. The upper half of the stance varies upon who teaches it and for what purpose.

SL4Drew

Green Belt
Reaction score
My understanding of the NB is it is identical to a horse stance for the lower half, with the following exception (for a right stance in this example):
Horse = Toe/Toe line, head aligned to 12:00, whole body except head would face 9:00. Both toes would touch the 12:00/6:00 line.
NB = Toe/Heel line, head aligned to 12:00, whole body except head would face 10:30, right toe on right side of 12:00/6:00 line, left heel on left side of 12:00/6:00 line.

Essentially a NB for the lower half is a horse stance split by a toe/heel line instead of toe/toe. The upper half of the stance varies upon who teaches it and for what purpose.

Yes, I do it that way. A properly execute neutral bow is a horse if you turn your head to 10:30. And from a neutral bow if you turn head to 1:30 you'd be in a side horse. But I'd say that your upper body for a neutral bow needs to essentially be in the position it was when you are in a horse. That's why the 'twist' is incorrect. For example, if you execute a braced index and have someone apply forward pressure you'll find the twist weakens your ability to resist forward pressure.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stance is a safety measure, not a position of awkwardness!
Sean

You're right, the stance is there to make the moves stable. However, considering we're not all robots, we may need to, on an individual basis, make a modification in our 'stance.'

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're right, the stance is there to make the moves stable. However, considering we're not all robots, we may need to, on an individual basis, make a modification in our 'stance.'
Thats not the only reason but... What are some reasons that justify skipping it?
Sean

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Of course you need to make a distinction between a "training horse," and "side horse" stance. But to put it simply, Ed Parker described a neutral bow to me as simply "a horse stance viewed and utilized from a different perspective." This becomes clearer and more important with the realization that, ALL stances are a physical and/or perspective derivation of the training horse.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Actually sir, that's true only on a limited basis. One of the things promoted in the commercial system is the concept of tailoring to allow flexibility for short term results. This is a major departure from "Old World Concepts" that taught for the long haul, over quick skills that diminish quickly as well. The business requires this perspective as customers are looking for immediate results, sometimes to their own physical detriment. Back, hip, shoulder, rotator cuff, elbow, and knee problems abound.

While it is true we all have different physiological geometrical differences, the base structure of human anatomy is the same for everyone. The underlying skeleton, the placement of various viscous materials of muscle, ligament, tendons, all organs, etc are all the same. Human anatomy is an exact science, with primarily only dimensional variances. A Medical Doctor will tell you essentially all humans ARE all built the same. Simplistically, much like two buildings utilizing the same platform, although one has more floors than the other, and therefore is taller, or one being broader at its base therefore "fatter." While they have different geometrical proportions, they share an underlying architecture that is the same. What does that mean? Well it means in one building the elevator may reach higher up than the other, and in another you may take up more space on the ground, but they're still the same.

The base movements of all martial art activity should be anatomically the same no matter the style, or preference, for maximum efficiency and longevity. What corrupts these things are "philosophical, cultural, or conceptual differences of execution." The "everybody is built different" is a "business concept" not found in the traditional martial arts for a reason. It doesn't sell well.

However, I do agree that because of anatomical, geometrical discrepancies, between individuals forced by circumstances, to interact with each other, that adjustments must be made for effective execution. Or simply "if the building is so tall you can't hit the top floor, strike a lower floor instead." But, when you do so, you should be striking with the same foundation sir. :)

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually sir, that's true only on a limited basis. One of the things promoted in the commercial system is the concept of tailoring to allow flexibility for short term results. This is a major departure from "Old World Concepts" that taught for the long haul, over quick skills that diminish quickly as well. The business requires this perspective as customers are looking for immediate results, sometimes to their own physical detriment. Back, hip, shoulder, rotator cuff, elbow, and knee problems abound.

Doc,
I have taken notice of the fact that many of the old-time Karate and Kung Fu practitioners such as Motobu, Kyan, Funakoshi, Wong etc., practiced well into their 70s and even 90's without stopping. Now, we have modern Karateka getting their hips and knees replaced by the time they're 60 (Bill Wallace and Chuck Norris come to mind, though I've read of many others). I'm sure this has to be related to what you're saying here.

Latest Discussions