The Kajukenbo Fist

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok this is really new on me.. The two distal digits of the forefinger are extended and held under the thumb. This is to avoid finger breakage from a poorly closed fist.

First let me say, I study Kajukenbo now, and if that is the Kajukenbo fist then it is my fist. I practice with it, and in time after training, if I end up fighting chances are I will fight with it.

However, what about a poorly *aimed* fist? Does the un-tucked forefinger not stand more of a chance of breaking at the distal digits in the case of a lamely performed punch? I honestly have never heard of someone breaking a proximal finger bone with a regular punch, having been in TSD I saw plenty of boards punched in two, and in KF we put some serious holes in punching bags.

My semi-educated logic tells me to make a regular fist. Any thoughts?

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kajukenbo fist is basically the fist configuration that was commonly used in Okinawan systems. Many of the Japanese systems abandoned that fist configuration because it was simpler to make a tight fist by curling all four fingers.
If the punch was not executed properly with the 2 large knuckles, the small knuckles would be injured, since the Okinawan fist configuration left the two small knuckles clenched a little looser then the two large knuckles. Some of the Japanese systems do use the Okinawan fist, but they teach it as a advanced strike.

Here's a picture of Joe Emperado, where you can obviously see the Okinawan fist. This fist was taught to him by Prof. Chow, who learned it from James Mitose. Just another one of the Okinawan atributes that were a part of James Mitose's teaching methods. Most if not all of the Hawaiian derived kenpo systems have abandoned the use of the Okinawan fist.
ee6d0d5b.jpg

Here's a good article on the Okinawan/Kajukenbo fist:
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=215

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I don't think I could punch anyother way than the Okinawan punch. How would one cover all four fingers? I am trying it now to no avail....

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Master Bishop. Thank you for the info. I am getting used to the fist. Are there any other stiking methods that are peculiar to Kajukenbo?

Respectfully,
Marlon

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
marlon said:
Hello Master Bishop. Thank you for the info. I am getting used to the fist. Are there any other stiking methods that are peculiar to Kajukenbo?

Respectfully,
Marlon

About the only type of strikes in Kajukenbo that I don't see in many karate or kung fu systems is the escrima empty hand cutting type strikes. These strikes are usually used to strike the attackers limbs, what is termed "limb destruction" in the Filipino arts.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you master Bishop,
the limb destruction concept has been passed on in my training but the type of cutting strike you mention has not been specifically designated for it.

respectfully,
Marlon

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
marlon said:
Thank you master Bishop,
the limb destruction concept has been passed on in my training but the type of cutting strike you mention has not been specifically designated for it.

respectfully,
Marlon

Yes, "limb destruction" is a phrase or philosophy that can be applied to both strikes and joint dislocations. And you see it applied both ways in Kajukenbo. The cutting type strikes I was referring to are most often used to strike the muscles of the attacking limb, re:bicep, tricep, hamstring, and thigh muscles. Done with a hammer fist, these strikes are easily converted to knife slashes, and stick strikes.

Reactions: MJS

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
About the only type of strikes in Kajukenbo that I don't see in many karate or kung fu systems is the escrima empty hand cutting type strikes. These strikes are usually used to strike the attackers limbs, what is termed "limb destruction" in the Filipino arts.

That's odd. I was taught that the whole reason you have hard "karate" style ukewaza was to attack the limbs.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
That's odd. I was taught that the whole reason you have hard "karate" style ukewaza was to attack the limbs.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "ukewaza". Could you explain more?

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
Yes, "limb destruction" is a phrase or philosophy that can be applied to both strikes and joint dislocations. And you see it applied both ways in Kajukenbo. The cutting type strikes I was referring to are most often used to strike the muscles of the attacking limb, re:bicep, tricep, hamstring, and thigh muscles. Done with a hammer fist, these strikes are easily converted to knife slashes, and stick strikes.

Johh Bishop,

Thank you for the link to the excellent article about the Kajukenbo fist. Re. the cutting type strikes I was also taught two variants to the hammer fist: (1) a shearing strike wherein a punch to the bicep converts to a shear with the forearm and (2) a slap to the bicep that, as you say above, can convert to a knife slash.

Re. the hammer fist strike as a "limb destruction": these convert well to a small knife or yarawa-type weapon held in "ice pick" grip - particularly if the knife is too small with which to slash effectively.

Best,

Steve Lamade

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "ukewaza". Could you explain more?

That's what I was told the "blocks" were ("uke-waza"= "receiving techniques"). One example is jodan uke, the stereotypical "square" upper block. The non-blocking hand does a drawing motion back to chamber while the forearm rises.

Y'know, this thing that you see absolutely everywhere:

http://www.lyon-karate.com/upper_block_age_uke.php

I was actually showing one to my son the other day. If someone sticks out their arm too far, your non-blocking arm grabs or hooks it down it while the "block" hits the inside of the elbow joint. If your rising right arm hits the left arm it's a strike; if it's their right arm you apply less torque and it turns into a standing control (or, I suppose and elbow hyperextension).

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
eyebeams said:

It's the type of limb destruction that's different in Kajukenbo. In Shotokan the whole idea was to essentially smash the incoming arm with our blocking arm etc. The techniques that John is referring to attack the muscles in a different way on certain techniques. They're essentially muscle attacks rather than bone on bone attacks that you see in some other hard styles. Kajukenbo isn't strictly a hard style anyways, it has a mix of several different things going some hard and others soft.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Danjo said:
It's the type of limb destruction that's different in Kajukenbo. In Shotokan the whole idea was to essentially smash the incoming arm with our blocking arm etc. The techniques that John is referring to attack the muscles in a different way on certain techniques. They're essentially muscle attacks rather than bone on bone attacks that you see in some other hard styles. Kajukenbo isn't strictly a hard style anyways, it has a mix of several different things going some hard and others soft.

Keep in mind that I'm not really talking about the Shotokan method at all. In fact, when I look for more insight on things like this that have been at the core of my studies, I find myself looking at FMA resources *far* more often than Japanese resources. The kind of movement is very much like what you would find in FMA hubud.Uechi-ryu is one well-known Okinawan system that still uses this particular kind of flow, though it's combined with body dynamics that also allow for hard-style striking if necessary.

In the example I gave, the target is actually the hollow between the elbow and the biceps insertion point on the inside of the arm. The ageuke is *not* the block in any way, shape or form. The block is the restracting hand and/or body movement. The forearm is attacking the inside of the body, not a bone. At close range, the bicep and brachial nerve are also targets. It's not really a sen no sen striek to the bone on the outside of the limb.

I would be very interested to know how kajukenbo does this sort of thing since, as mentioned, I have a great deal of difficulty finding other sources about this method.