The Invitation

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Invitation
Oriah Mountain Dreamer, Indian Elder

it doesn’t interest me what you do for a living.
I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your hearts longing

It doesn’t interest me how old you are,
I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for you dreams, for the adventure for being alive.

It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon,
I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow,
If you have been opened by life’s betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of future pain.

I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own: if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, be realistic, or to remember the limitations of being a human.

It doesn’t interest me if the story you are telling me is true,
I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusations of betrayal and not betray your own soul.

I want to know if you can be faithful and therefore trustworthy.
I want to know if you can see the beauty, even if it’s not pretty everyday, if you can source your life from ITS presence

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of a lake and shout to the silver of the moon, “Yes!!”

It doesn’t interest me to know where you live or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up after the night of grief and despair,
Weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for the children

It doesn’t interest me who you are, or how you came to be here,
I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and now shrink back.

It doesn’t interest me where or what or with whom you have studied.
I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in those empty moments.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dubljay,

I was having an unusually crappy day until I read this, and by the time I finished it, I was feeling really good. Great post, and thanks!

OP
D

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear it helped you out Martial Tucker. I found this on the last page of my sylibus for my sociology class. At first I dismissed it as just blah stuff the instructor used to fill white space. But I woke up last night thinking about some of the things I read, took a closer look and decided that it was definately worth sharing.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, that was real nice of you to share that. It cheered me up.