The Green Hornet

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice...Ya wanna see something excllent..Go to the search option of YouTube and type in Grayson..A fan made trailer about the death of Batman, and Robin's return to crime fighting...Very well made...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is an article about Jay Chou who is probably going to get a LOT of flak in the coming months for being "nothing like Bruce Lee" which is totally unfair since probably 2/3rds of the people even saying that weren't even BORN when Lee was acting on the original show (circa 1966) :rolleyes: . And the 1/2 of the remaining 1/3 probably don't even remember any one single episode.
Chou seems to be already famous and is very comfortable in the role.
Brief story and a new clip to be found here.
http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/171-taiwanese-superstar-jay-chou-hits-the-u-s-in-the-green-hornet

Watching the clip I found myself laughing or at least giggling so this tells me this will be a fun movie to watch. Nothing cerebral or heavy just what I call a "comic book movie", the way Transporter, Desperado, et al.

Gonna watch it and I'm gonna probably like it.

Last edited:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't find Seth Rogen to be the best actor suited for the Green Hornet.
It's very bold to give a guy who is a comedian somewhat out of shape an action role.
Not saying he is a bad actor just a very odd choice.

I felt the same way about Michael Keaton as Batman which Bob Kane also thought as well at first But Keaton did a good job so maybe Rogen will do good too.
I am excited by the trailers so I will see it.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Saw it last night.

To those of you who haven't a clue as to who or what the Green Hornet was prior to seeing the trailers for this movie:

Sit down and enjoy a super hero comedic parody with a lot of cool gadgets, goofy Hangover-esque humor, and very good martial arts technique on the part of the actor who played Kato.

The movie's biggest problem (aside from it being one big logic flaw, which being a comedy, I was willing to forgive) is that it wastes a lot of time with Britt Reid (the Hornet) and Kato essentially acting like idiots for the sake of having them act like idiots.

Cameron Diaz' character is virtually pointless and her screen time was minimal. No meaningful romantic involvement develops between her and either the Hornet or Kato, though her presence is the spark for a good amount of pointless tension between the Hornet and Kato. They could have saved themselves a lot of money going with a no name. The time spent on them arguing over the girl could have been spent on them actually being vigilantes.

There was very little chemistry between any of the characters. Thought GI Joe was better, primarily because I expected far less.

Now, to those of you who actually know who the Green Hornet is:

The best part of this movie is Black Beauty. Kato was next, primarily because the actor could do justice to the character's martial arts theme.

Seth Rogen, however, was a huge disappointment in the role. The Green Hornet was completely incompetent in this movie.

This was very different from Michael Keaton in Batman, where the primary deviation was to make Bruce Wayne more of a weird eccentric guy with a lot of emotional problems and for Bruce Wayne to be a smallish man (in the comics at the time, he was supposed to be 6'5). Overall, however, Keaton's Batman was true to the character.

The Hornet's basic concept remains entact (newspaper publisher by day, vigilante by night) and Kato is Kato, though originally, he was Japanese, and is now Chinese. The primary difference is that the Hornet in this movie is essentially, well.... an idiot. He's not very 'news' savvy, he can't fight (at all), and he's not even particularly bright. His character is a total jerk for most of the movie, though they give enough of a prologue of his childhood years that his behavior is at least somewhat understandable.

The same issues regarding wasting a lot of screentime on basically two guys acting like idiots that I mentioned above will make the portrayal of the Hornet even more obnoxious.

As for why Seth Rogen himself was disappointing? At no point did he ever truly become the Green Hornet. When Christopher Reeve went to the Fortress of Solitude as Clark Kent in winter clothes and left as Superman, he literally transformed before your eyes. Same for when he began to tell Lois that he was really Supes and took off his glasses, but then thought better of it. His vocal inflections changed, his voice deepened, and entire body language changed, and suddenly, he was powerful and majestic. Then as he lost his nerve, it all drained away and he resorted to suggesting going out for a burger. And it all seemed natural. All that without even being in costume. Seth Rogen in the costume is just Seth Rogen in the costume. Thats it.

Now Black Beauty was masterfully done. It was everything the original was and then some, and way cooler than Christian Bale's tank-mobile.

This movie could have been soooo much better. The 3-D was a waste of money and you should definetely see it in a matinee. Oh, and there was nothing in the way of bonus scenes after the credits (or during them), so unless you like to sit through them, don't waste your time.

Daniel

ninjaman

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm still debating if I should go and see the movie or if should just wait for the DVD.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm still debating if I should go and see the movie or if should just wait for the DVD.
If you're seeing it alone, go to the movie and see it at a matinee and not in 3-D. For one person to see it on the big screen, its probably worth the matinee price just to see the car in action. The car was the best part of the movie.

If you have a wife/GF and/or kids who don't mind waiting, then definitely wait for DVD.

Daniel

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
See I'm one of the guys who is way too young to have seen the original series so I'm heading into this franchise with absolutely no expectations other than to see it as a comedy. That's all I associate Seth Rogen with and as for John Cho, he's always going to be the M.I.L.F guy from American Pie or Harold from Harold & Kumar so hoping for a no brainer dose of escapism :) Thanks for your review though!

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
See I'm one of the guys who is way too young to have seen the original series so I'm heading into this franchise with absolutely no expectations other than to see it as a comedy. That's all I associate Seth Rogen with and as for John Cho, he's always going to be the M.I.L.F guy from American Pie or Harold from Harold & Kumar so hoping for a no brainer dose of escapism :) Thanks for your review though!

It's Jay Chou not John Cho.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I saw it with my teenage kids and we loved it. It was funny and action packed. The humor was juvenile, but not overly gross. No nudity, but some mildly adult situations. The bad guy was funny. Seth Rogan was believable and Jay Chou was funny, too.

This is a buddy comedy with action.

And I liked that there wasn't the requisite love interest. Cameron Diaz played a smart character who wasn't a sex pot, dingbat.

The car was awesome! We had a terrific time. I would agree that 3d would be a waste of money, but I'm not a fan of it anyway.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Saw it last night.

Daniel
Just curious... you HAVE seen the original series haven't you? Sci-fi channel ran a marathon of all 26 episodes of the tv show a few days back to help boost interest in the movie.

Suggest you watch the original series or at least be familiar with them. This movie suffered under very high expectations and which is why it became a mild to major disappointment to many.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just curious... you HAVE seen the original series haven't you? Sci-fi channel ran a marathon of all 26 episodes of the tv show a few days back to help boost interest in the movie.

Suggest you watch the original series or at least be familiar with them. This movie suffered under very high expectations and which is why it became a mild to major disappointment to many.
Haven't seen it in a long time, but I have seen it. Given that the original character was like the Lone Ranger's nephew or grandson, or something like that, so I was okay deviations from the original. I didn't really mind that Britt Reid was pretty much just a party boy who had no real skill in anything. The lengthy drunken behavior scenes and the drawn out argument/fight between the two characters was just dead time that ceased to propel the story after about a minute and a half.

My expectations really were not all that high; it's a Seth Rogen film after all, so I expected a certain tone to the humor. I would rather have seen Hornet and Kato do more stunts in the car beating up bad guys and less awkward slap and tickle bud-bonding scenes.

Lack of chemistry between the characters was a huge problem in this movie, and the excessive time spent in the drunken bonding scenes only accentuated this.

Daniel

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Haven't seen it in a long time, but I have seen it. Given that the original character was like the Lone Ranger's nephew or grandson, or something like that, so I was okay deviations from the original. I didn't really mind that Britt Reid was pretty much just a party boy who had no real skill in anything. The lengthy drunken behavior scenes and the drawn out argument/fight between the two characters was just dead time that ceased to propel the story after about a minute and a half.

My expectations really were not all that high; it's a Seth Rogen film after all, so I expected a certain tone to the humor. I would rather have seen Hornet and Kato do more stunts in the car beating up bad guys and less awkward slap and tickle bud-bonding scenes.

Lack of chemistry between the characters was a huge problem in this movie, and the excessive time spent in the drunken bonding scenes only accentuated this.

Daniel
You didn't think that there was chemistry? I thought that they clicked pretty well. Ultimately, this was at heart a buddy movie, and I felt like the two guys played that off well. The core of this movie has more in common with Harold and Kumar than Batman Begins.

Another thing I enjoyed was that the bad guy was insecure, and it became more pronounced throughout the movie.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You didn't think that there was chemistry? I thought that they clicked pretty well. Ultimately, this was at heart a buddy movie, and I felt like the two guys played that off well.
Not all that much, no. I did think that they played off well enough, but I just saw it as two guys playing their parts. Together, the sum was less than the parts.

The core of this movie has more in common with Harold and Kumar than Batman Begins.
Which is precisely why I did not like it. Perhaps they should have shot for something closer to Ironman or the A-Team.

Another thing I enjoyed was that the bad guy was insecure, and it became more pronounced throughout the movie.
Now that I liked!

Daniel

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw it 2 nights ago but didnt feel like chiming in till now. There may be spoilers in my post so don't read if you have not seen it.

I'm a huge fan of Gondry as a director, everything he's done has always struck me as beautifully filmed and very layered. I can say that this movie is beautiful, from a cinematography standpoint it looks spectacular and the colors pop like Disney Technicolor from the 50's and 60's ... movies never look that bright and gorgeous like those anymore. I'll have to watch it again to see how layered the story is and all that because even watching it I knew there was more going on than the surface story ... kinda like Gondry's "Be Kind, Rewind." Another movie I didn't find funny or even like the first time I saw it.

As an action comedy it failed for me to be an effective action movie or an effective comedy. Whatever happened to the old action comedies like Leather Weapon, 48 Hours, Bad Boys, movies that were truly hilarious but still had balls? There was not much chemistry between the two leads in my opinion, so a lot of what should have been funny just didn't work.

I also didn't like how they took the DA who always knew who GH was and made him a villain! That sucked! But I did like the reveal, it's one of those things that Gondry did well, dropping hints, laying the groundwork so when it happened it worked.

What's cool? The cinematography, the cars, Kato, Seth fully becoming the GH towards the end.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just watched it, liked it. A good balance between action and humor without going totally overboard or taking itself too serious. The one inch punch is my favoirite moment I think. Establishes the characters nicely for a sequel.