The Future of Budo and Its Role In Humanity's Survival and Growth

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello All,

I’ve been on a bit of a research/self-improvement path lately and I’m noticing that there seems to be a common belief, among some who have lead the way in budo, that the secret of budo exists within the natural, peaceful selves of all of humanity, not just budoka. I started this path by researching translated works by Masaaki Hatsumi, then expanded on to translated versions of the Heiho Kadensho, the Art of Peace, the Memoirs of Morihei Ueshiba, and, finally, some general biographical writings about Gichin Funakoshi and Jigoro Kano. I’ve yet to obtain materials written by Funakoshi and Kano but I have a feeling that there’ll be some pretty good reading there. Reading translated versions of Ueshiba-sensei’s writings after reading Hatsumi-sensei’s and Yagyu-sensei’s writings has really opened up some doors.

One of the things I love about Ueshiba-sensei’s ideas is the prevailing attitude that everyone has their own path, their own natural way, and should be encouraged to become their natural selves, fulfill their mission(s) in life, and, if necessary, to be protected to the extent necessary while they’re doing so. It’s interesting to see how commonalities start to surface when researching budo seekers/masters of past and present. Ideas of budo being for everyone, budo being for peace (which is, apparently, also the secret to taijutsu), and budo being for the betterment, uniting, and furthering of humanity seem in stark contrast to some modern ideas regarding budo, the definition of what a "true" warrior is, and the role of budo in modern civilization.

I’ve seen posts where people complain of “watered down” martial arts but, after reading what I've read, I’m beginning to think that what may be happening is that some people may have strayed so far from the ideas and ideals of those who went before them, that they have, in fact, watered down the art by becoming what these teachings were trying to prevent. True budo doesn't require violent ways, means, and ideas to live, thrive, and grow. True budo is alive when humanity is growing, thriving, surviving, and is at peace with one another. For instance, both Hatsumi-sensei and Ueshiba-sensei have written that there is value in searching for the best in others, making the best of everything you find in life, and in learning from it, and in becoming as natural as possible throughout your life so that you can naturally do what you do best, fulfil your mission in life, and improve the world and the lives of those whom you come in contact with.

Is true budo disappearing due to budoka refusing to take to heart the teachings of those who went before them or is some kind of natural selection/weeding out going on? So many people seem to be obsessed with the idea that being more powerful, more deadly, more violent, and more intimidating than those around them is actually a good idea. If the secret of taijutsu/budo truly is peace, then doesn’t it stand to reason that the “alive” fighter/killers are actually the ones destroying true budo instead of protecting, advancing, and preserving it? One of the reasons I refer to Hatsumi-sensei’s and Ueshiba-sensei’s writings so much is because both Takamatsu-sensei and Ueshiba-sensei lived through the last world war, had seen first-hand how damaging it is to the betterment, uniting, and advancement of humanity, and left something behind for future generations to help guide them away from such a self-destructive, unnatural existence.

If anyone out there has any knowledge or experience with any of these teachers, their teachings, writings, and ideas, and/or their thoughts about the future of budo, I’d love to hear what your thoughts are regarding the similarities, and/or differences of these senseis. Also, if you have no idea what I’m talking about but would like to share your thoughts on any of the above, I’d love to hear from you too. Thanks in advance and have a great day/night all.

Respectfully,

Fu_Bag

Elayna

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey Fu Bag...

I know im new here but I had a few thoughts on your post I hope you dont mind me sharing.

You know one of the reasons I got out of martial arts was because of how violent everything was becoming. The more brusies you got the better you were, supposedly. It finally got to much for me. And of course because of this i was seen as weak, or a quitter. But I guess you could say Im a lover not a fighter. But i definatly can be when the situation arises. Im a mom, and let me tell you if anyone hurt my kid, I dont care what they knew, they would be dog meat. LOL. but thats a whole nother topic you know.
As far as what you are talking about, I fully believe that martial arts is not all about violence, fighting, and hurting others. And i have to say, if thats all you want martial arts for, then what kind of a person does that make you? Not a person of the Light thats for sure.
We are always trying to teach our children violence is not the answer. Well, I think we need to follow the same rules ourselves. I definatly agree, that we need to be able to defend ourselves. But i also believe, that you are a true master of all around you, when you can sit with Mother Earth, and look at your enemy and stop them with a glance and nothing more. Not because you are strong, or dangerous, but because you are one with her, and one with God. (whichever god that may be). Because I believe that once you are one with "the art" you will find, that nothing is stronger then the Love and Light it holds. For nothing can stop those. Even darkness is composed of light, you just cant see it.
Soo....I guess what im saying is....I think we need to concentrate not only on the physcial but on the emotional, and spritual, like all the brilliant masters state in their books and in the way they live their lives.
One can not fully understand "the art" until they feel it inside of themselves. And for me...It was complete peace with all around me, enemy and friend. Good and bad. and even peace with myself.
Anyhoo.....ill shut up now...LOL...
TTYL

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Elayna,

Thanks for your reply. :) Great post, by the way. Yeah, you gotta love veins-bulging-out-of-a-red-faced-Ki-crazed-maniacjutsu. In short, if it's bad for you, or the people around you who mean you no harm, and expect you to be part of civilized society, then it probably isn't true budo. Self-destructive training makes for some very scary individuals but it doesn't make their brain immune to a high caliber bullet (irrespective of how much Ki/Chi they can harness). Indiana Jones had it down perfectly!! :D

There's a great book that covers what you're talking about in depth. It's called "Warrior of The Light" by Paul Coehlo (sp?). Very affordable book full of many nice ideas and, potentially, many keys to many doors. Welcome to Martial Talk! Hope to see you around. :)

Fu Bag

edit - never underestimate the force......of Momjutsu!!!! ;)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For writings by Kano check out Mind Over Muscle and Gichin Funakoshi also has his own autobiography called Karate-Do: My Way of Life...and a bunch others...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe budo is universal, that is why you can find similarities between their writings. As has been said by some, budo is not for taking life but for giving life. That is a stark contrast to what people see. Just as the sword can take life; It can give life.

You spoke about teachings or ideals being lost. Remember, you are quoting a handful of people. Statistically speaking, I would tend to believe the ratios would be similar today.

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bigshadow :)

I have a similar belief with regards to budo being universal. Yeah, the Katsujin-ken seems to be seen as a relic of the past instead of something worthy of carrying (in spirit) today. You're right about the statistics. The more I learn, the clearer it becomes that the path of peace isn't always very pleasant for those who choose it.

I saw in the "New Year's message from Soke" that Hatsumi-sensei re-stressed the importance of "Gambatte" and made a comparison to Jesus Christ with regards to the spirit of gambatte. I think that's pretty spot on considering the hows and whys that come into play when you decide to "keep going" no matter what. :)

Have a great day/night

Fu Bag

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
For writings by Kano check out Mind Over Muscle and Gichin Funakoshi also has his own autobiography called Karate-Do: My Way of Life...and a bunch others...

bignick,

Thank you for the book suggestions. They are definitely on my shopping list!

Fu Bag :)

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought I'd put another thought out there with regards to the future of true budo. I think that a lot of people have it right when they say that true budo is universal in nature. Therefore, the concept is probably very simple and can be grasped by anyone. The biggest hurdle I see is finding a way to translate something simple, and universal, into something that people can understand.

If true budo is going to continue, there will have to be a new generation of pioneers to blaze the trail and work on the translations, not just for themselves, but in the spirit of warrior friends. The next big hurdle I see would be finding true leaders and teachers among these pioneers. Otherwise, true budo may have to rest until it can be reintroduced into the world. The main problem I'd see with that, however, is the amount of chaos that the departure of true budo would cause within the martial arts community.

What I mean by that is that the constant witch hunting, chest thumping, ego stroking, self-promoting, political garbage, and assorted other nonsense that the martial arts community deals with today would pale in comparison to a scene where noone could believe in their art, or anyone else's for that matter. The really cool thing is that it looks like this movement is already underway in many arts. I think it'd be pretty cool if people could just see what they have in common, and learn from each other, instead of constantly getting involved in pissing matches.

I'd love to hear people's opinions on where they'd like for their art to go. I was looking at getting involved in Ninjutsu but I think that that art is going to need to heal itself before I'd be willing to even wiggle a toe in what used to be a very inviting spring. I think that there are probably a lot of good people involved in Ninjutsu but I'd rather let the good ones do what they do best before I even think about associating myself with the art for a while.

Here's to hoping. :)

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey Fu-Bag,

As the old proverb goes, "Don't let the man get you down." I would like to think that the vast number of martial artist are the silent majority when it comes to the ideals of the arts and budo. We practice. We read. We develop our own opinions. We think on the bigger issues. I am afraid that the "watered down" opinion crowd are making up for their minority status with a louder arguement and their flashy karate-show gi. No worries though. Remember Kobra Kai lost at the end of the movie to the humble Mr. Miyagi.

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi w.kaer and thanks for the reply :)

That's a good proverb. Thanks for that. I hope you're right about the silent majority. I think you probably are since it's usually the quiet ones you have to worry about. In this case, however, it's a good thing! I have a lot to work on with regards to not being affected by the "daily dust" as it were.

I like the Kobra Kai analogy. We shall see what we shall see... BTW... If you're still "out of town", thank you and get home safe. :)

Take care.

Fu Bag

solly

White Belt
Reaction score
Been searching for information on the humanity of budo and came across this thread. Having gone over it, I would like to add that one mustn't forget the mortality behind budo. From that basis, most of the teachings of budo - as opposed to sports or dance forms etc - come alive.

At least, that has been my experience.

Latest Discussions