The four letter word in training

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
No I don't mean the F word here. (Just wanted to get your attention:)

My question is this:

How do you treat the 'oops' (see there are four letters, not my fault that your mind is in the gutter), moments in training.

You planned/trained to zig but instead you zag.
You did a technique 'wrong' but what did you learn/discover because of it, a new variation for yourself, a realization about the technique that doing it 'right' would never expose?

I have had tons of oops moments and probably learned more because of them than from my 'perfect' or correct attempts in comparison.

Does adjusting to your 'oops's' help you deal with real application mentally and physically? In FMA's, it could be considered a 'flow' lesson opportunity, or a technical 'translation' opportunity... 'oops' is really not frowned on so much as a learning experience.

Paul M.

Comments.

Paul M.

B

Black Bear

1) If you haven't screwed up much in training, then your training sucks.

2) If you screw up in the application of your skill (in sd, etc.) then you want to be "resilient to" that screwup, as in you need to be able to move forward through it and prevail.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
1) If you haven't screwed up much in training, then your training sucks.

2) If you screw up in the application of your skill (in sd, etc.) then you want to be "resilient to" that screwup, as in you need to be able to move forward through it and prevail.
In a move that will no doubt surprise him, I have to agree with Black Bear on this.

7sm

B

Black Bear

7*m, how dare you. I'm sure you did it just to annoy and frustrate me. :lol:

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always tell my students that you learn so much more when you screw up and do something wrong then you do when you perform a technique correctly. Correct performance re-inforces the lessons of the technique, but has little that is new to offer. Incorrect performance teaches,

why we don't do it this way
a way to correct what I've done
how to react to a dynamic situation
how my opponent reacts to this change in plans
and on and on and on

Perfect practice is of course our goal, but it's really only parrotting what you already know. Mistakes are great teachers, they are a real chance to improve upon and expand our knowledge base. When I hit someone with the wrong punch, I know immediatly why we don't use that strike there. Usually because my hand hurts now.

-Rob

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
In a move that will no doubt surprise him, I have to agree with Black Bear on this.

7sm

I agree too.

G

Gary Crawford

After 30 yrs,I still screw up!!It wouldn't be any fun without it.

B

Black Bear

The point of training is to introduce tasks with increasing demands to force your mind and body to adapt to them.

If you rarely screw up, then the gradient of demand increase is not steep enough. If you NEVER screw up, the gradient is zero, therefore no learning or skill development can occur.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't that why we use words like "training" and "practice?" The idea is to make your mistakes in the studio so you hopefully won't make them on the street. If you screw-up in class you say "oops" and do it again, if you mess up on the street you might be dead. This is why I enjoy dealing with spontaneous attacks and working in the "what-if phase" in class so I can see what does/doesn't work. Like Black Bear said "If you haven't screwed up much in training, then your training sucks"

there is one way to deal with oops, just get it right the next time :lol:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been told many times to practice a technique until it becomes mine. The oops factor is what helps a technique evolve into my own. When doing a certain technique I may step a little wide or move my hands a little differently than what the classic technique is and find that that particular tech works better for me with those minor differences. The oops factor is a good tool for making your art your own.

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another twist on the 'oops' in training is when I was demonstrating a new technique for a class.

I was using a beginning student to demonstrate a 'diving throw' type of move for Modern Arnis types or the basic finish for the bearhug (arms pinned) escape where you snake your leg behind the bear huggers and sweep your arm in from so he trips/throws over your leg.

While I was demonstrating this technique for the students, I did what felt like my normal controlled, demonstration level of force when the student went flying and landed 2 feet back and hit hard. I was totally shocked, she was totally shocked and it looked like I really meant to do it.

The 'oops' happened because there was some new level of ability that I hadn't actually become conscious of, but my body had 'gotten' it. I am not saying that I am super awesome or anything, but that oops was a sign that there had been progress, whether I was aware of it or not.

I felt horrible because I had not prepared the student for that level of contact. It is a different oops, but an oops none the less.

Paul M

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then there is the time that you screw up the technique while trying to teach your students and look foolish... :idunno:

Latest Discussions