The Formal Head Turn in Kata

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot of people have head turns in their kata as a distinct separate step/movement. It's done before a sequence in that new direction and it's suppose to indicate that you recognize a new threat coming from that direction.

Useful? Pointless? What say you?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always found it useful, since you should "look before you leap" when it comes to facing the next threat.

In terms of the interpretation, it would be very important to perform the head turn, since if you don't see an attacker, there's no need to commit to turning the body in that particular direction at that time.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll take the counter-argument.

I think it's actually a bad idea because it sets up a situation where students ONLY interpret turns as turning to face a new threat. What if the kata is trying to teach us something else, perhaps the turn is necessary to complete a counter done partially in the immediately preceding sequence?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At my dojo, sensei is always on us to look in the direction of the embusan (fight line) in our kata. However, he also does not want the exaggerated head snaps that precede the movement by some practitioners. He teaches that when we change the direction of the embusan, we change where we look, but that this is a natural movement. Just as in normal life, when someone speaks to us, we naturally look at them. We do not generally snap our heads around like it was on a swivel. So yes we look in the direction of the embusan, but no we don't snap our heads around in an exaggerated manner.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At my dojo, sensei is always on us to look in the direction of the embusan (fight line) in our kata. However, he also does not want the exaggerated head snaps that precede the movement by some practitioners. He teaches that when we change the direction of the embusan, we change where we look, but that this is a natural movement. Just as in normal life, when someone speaks to us, we naturally look at them. We do not generally snap our heads around like it was on a swivel. So yes we look in the direction of the embusan, but no we don't snap our heads around in an exaggerated manner.

That is much my same practice. No surprise I guess given the similarities between Isshin-ryu and Goju-ryu.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We also look, but don't exaggerate the movement.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I imagine snapping your head around a lot would be damaging to your neck and personally it makes me dizzy! It makes me wince if I see a head snapping round. We've always used the 'natural' way of turning your head, either to see where you are going or to see what's there etc, all the reasons you would turn your head if you were walking or even fighting I suppose.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I imagine snapping your head around a lot would be damaging to your neck and personally it makes me dizzy! It makes me wince if I see a head snapping round. We've always used the 'natural' way of turning your head, either to see where you are going or to see what's there etc, all the reasons you would turn your head if you were walking or even fighting I suppose.

I am told that some people do it because if they are competing in kata, they want to ensure that the judge sees the head turn, so they make it very obvious that they've turned their head. There is also a natural inclination to make one's kata 'crisp'.

However, I don't compete. If I fail to turn my head (or my eyes in some cases the head doesn't turn but the eyes do), my sensei will catch it and correct me. So I strive to keep my eyes on the embusan; but I don't go in for the head-snapping movements, since sensei doesn't care for it. He also won't let us apply 'blind' techniques in sparring. If you can't see your target, you are not allowed to hit or kick it.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone ever play any other sports? Tennis, American football, baseball, etc? When you get into position to catch a ball either with your hands or your racquet, do you turn your head towards the ball as a first reaction? Or is the head movement a natural consequence of moving your body towards the ball?

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone ever play any other sports? Tennis, American football, baseball, etc? When you get into position to catch a ball either with your hands or your racquet, do you turn your head towards the ball as a first reaction? Or is the head movement a natural consequence of moving your body towards the ball?

I usually duck when I see a ball coming toward me. :uhyeah:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The concept behind a most definite 'look' in martial arts, at least Japanese ones, is that of using metsuke to promote seme. It is in essence 'striking with the eyes' to put pressure upon the opponent.

Sudden snaps of the neck are an exaggeration of this feeling. The pressure comes from the spirit of the swordsman {speaking in the art of my experience of course} rather than the physicality of the 'look'.

This sounds like nonsense but all martial arts are a game of inches and milliseconds. If you can give an opponent a fraction of a second pause or, conversely, make him 'rush' then you have gained an advantage that you can exploit.

The mantra I have heard from Kendoka on this is:

ichigan-nisoku-santan-shiriki

Roughly speaking: Eyes first; footwork second; spirit third; and power last

EDIT: Did a bit of digging on that aphorism and found this useful treatise: http://www.standrewskendo.co.uk/articles/what-is-seme-ashi/

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The concept behind a most definite 'look' in martial arts, at least Japanese ones, is that of using metsuke to promote seme. It is in essence 'striking with the eyes' to put pressure upon the opponent.

Sudden snaps of the neck are an exaggeration of this feeling. The pressure comes from the spirit of the swordsman {speaking in the art of my experience of course} rather than the physicality of the 'look'.

This sounds like nonsense but all martial arts are a game of inches and milliseconds. If you can give an opponent a fraction of a second pause or, conversely, make him 'rush' then you have gained an advantage that you can exploit.

I had noticed this was more of an artifact from Japanese styles like Shotokan. Thanks for the explanation, Sukerkin. In aikido, we frequently maintain a total focus using our eyes and the angles of our body on uke after having thrown him, being ready for a second attack from him if needed. Much the same idea, I expect.

From my karate perspective, I believe moving as a whole body is very important, and this prior head turn detracts from that goal. As as stated above, the more advanced bunkai would have the turn be the termination of a counter-attack rather than the beginning of one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am told that some people do it because if they are competing in kata, they want to ensure that the judge sees the head turn, so they make it very obvious that they've turned their head. There is also a natural inclination to make one's kata 'crisp'.

However, I don't compete. If I fail to turn my head (or my eyes in some cases the head doesn't turn but the eyes do), my sensei will catch it and correct me. So I strive to keep my eyes on the embusan; but I don't go in for the head-snapping movements, since sensei doesn't care for it. He also won't let us apply 'blind' techniques in sparring. If you can't see your target, you are not allowed to hit or kick it.

A friend of mine failed their driving test because the examiner said he didn't see her head moving to look in the rear view mirror, my daughter's driving instructor told her to actually move her head not just her eyes when taking her test but the eyes just moving were fine when driving otherwise.
I have competed in kata compettions and still won't move my head with a snap, the judges should know thier katas well enough and be perceptive enough if chosen to judge that they can see the eyes or head move without exaggeration shouldn't they! Your sensei would obviously make a good kata judge.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think of the quick head turn (snap sounds painful to me) as more an element of drama added to the kata for competition than anything else.

That said, I like Sukerkin's explanation as well, and could well steal... er... borrow that in the future.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A lot of people have head turns in their kata as a distinct separate step/movement. It's done before a sequence in that new direction and it's suppose to indicate that you recognize a new threat coming from that direction.

Useful? Pointless? What say you?
I suppose it depends on how you view kata. If you look at kata as a fighting system then you only have one opponent and the change of head position relates to the position of the opponent. In Okinawa recently on of my karate mates asked Taira Sensei about the head turn in Gekisei kata. Taira Sensei doesn't have much English but his response was crystal clear. He took my friend, put him into the bunkai position for that segment of kata and my friend was looking straight into the face of his partner.

The fact that there are turns in kata probably has more to do with the cramped space that was available for practice than the idea of multiple attackers. If kata is a fighting system then the turns in kata can also be taken as an indication of position. 45deg turn, off to the side to maximise effects of the strike, 90deg, right at the side, 135deg, ideal position for kidney strike, 180deg, now behind your attacker. The other thing here is that you don't have to physically move to achieve these changes of position relative to your opponent. You can move your opponent which is what the various hand positions teach.

Good discussion.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
we have to look, because if we dont we're not doing the kata right. (Its supposed to be fighting opponents. imaginary, but we still act like we mean business.)

Its not necessarily counted as a distinct seperate movement though.

i see it as important. You'd naturally look, wouldnt you? Me thinks so. =]

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Turning the head may be more about style than necessity.

The head turning suposses one needs sight to see and respond to an opponent, but if other senses are used (hearing, touch for air dispalcement, smell for body odor <G>) you may not turn the head and just turn using other triggers and waiting till the body turns for sight to kick in.

It's situational in all cases.

The role of peripheral vision (different for each of us) can be a trigger at times too.

I teach the head turn on the premise you're unlikely to hit what you can't see. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Still there's more involved than the head. regardless of how the torso and lower body turn in the kata, in reality your turn may be a movement away from the attacker, or it may be a movement into the attacker (in my Isshiryu we use both methods) depending on time for reaction or time for jamming. Other options are turns on angles moving away from the linear attack of an opponent to give a more reasoned response.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
And while we're at it, why don't we just punch naturally? And kick naturally? And do our footwork naturally?

/end sarcasm

"Naturally" is NOT always the best body movement for combat. That is exactly why we train — to overcome "natural" body movement and substitute in "un-natural" but more effective body movements.

Even though I haven't done poomse on a regular basis for years now, in moments of alarm (rapid movement in the corner of vision, a sudden sound, etc.) I STILL unconsciously snap my head around in response — and with no ill effects.

Trained controlled movements allow us to do things with greater speed and precision without injury.

Anything that aids in quicker assessment and ability to respond is, in my opinion, a benefit.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And while we're at it, why don't we just punch naturally? And kick naturally? And do our footwork naturally?

/end sarcasm

"Naturally" is NOT always the best body movement for combat. That is exactly why we train &#8212; to overcome "natural" body movement and substitute in "un-natural" but more effective body movements.

Even though I haven't done poomse on a regular basis for years now, in moments of alarm (rapid movement in the corner of vision, a sudden sound, etc.) I STILL unconsciously snap my head around in response &#8212; and with no ill effects.

Trained controlled movements allow us to do things with greater speed and precision without injury.

Anything that aids in quicker assessment and ability to respond is, in my opinion, a benefit.

I'd argue that many of our instantaneous reactions are actually acquired or learned in early childhood. Whether that is 'natural' or not, I don't know. I do think turning your head as a first response to stimuli is inefficient in the case of a physical attack. All this does is allow you to see what is about to happen to you in very short order as physical attacks occur in a matter of seconds. 1 mississippi - BOOM!

Suppose someone screams and rushes at you. I would think it would be better to simultaneously recognize the attack and then turn your body in such a way as to avoid the initial collision and to put yourself in a good position to defend against further attacks. The head can and does come along with the body. Even if you merely succeed in turning to face the attacker, I would still think being even in a partial stance is still better than being caught flat footed with your body facing one way while your face is pointed to the side or back.

This is no different than making a cut in football to avoid a tackle or turning your body at the correct angle to intercept and return a tennis serve. The head and body are as one.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

/end sarcasm

"Naturally" is NOT always the best body movement for combat. That is exactly why we train — to overcome "natural" body movement and substitute in "un-natural" but more effective body movements.

Even though I haven't done poomse on a regular basis for years now, in moments of alarm (rapid movement in the corner of vision, a sudden sound, etc.) I STILL unconsciously snap my head around in response — and with no ill effects.

However snapping you head just to make sure the kata judges are watching you doesn't count as being useful or necessary.