The first martial arts book you would recommend

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is it, for brand-new, know-nothing students?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Book of Five Rings

and

On the Warrior's Path

I recommend these books for the philosophy of the martial arts, not the self-defense.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Tao of Pooh has already been mentioned... so I would have to go with Zen and the Martial Arts, by Joe Hyams

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is a book Tae kwon do for dummys-like computor for dummys.Im not sure if there are Kung fu or katare.But if its a crash corse & must have info quick.Kali by Inosanto.It tells of the 5 angles & how to aply any wepon or hand to most attacks.It came out origianly with a 15minute companion film on 8mm.Now a days its on dvd & only a few have it.The book is still sold (with out the video)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Guess my response would depend on why they're getting into the martial arts to begin with. Are they wanting spiritual growth or to learn how to kick butt and chew bubble gum?

I would have to say, as others already have, "The Tao of Pooh" followed by "The Te of Piglet". Definitely great books and really help in understanding the mindset for the martial arts. I have read them both and would recommend them to anyone. You'd be surprised at the number of looks a 6'6" 380+ guy gets when he's sitting down reading a book intently with winnie the pooh on the front. :p

For a more "martial" book, the Tao of Jeet Kune Do (IMO) is a great book. The series of books that Mark Wiley has put out about the Filipino martial arts are quite well done too, from the ones I have seen.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
What is it, for brand-new, know-nothing students?
The Sword Polisher's Record: The Way of Kung Fu. It gives a pretty good understanding of martial arts in general, self defense, basic principles for any art, or choosing an art/school/teacher. It might name kung fu all over the place but it's still an interesting read that could be applied on any authentic art.

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Zen in the Martial Arts - Joe Hyams

Karate: Beginner to Black Belt - Bruce Tegner

My two fallback books ;)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey said:
The Tao of Pooh has already been mentioned... so I would have to go with Zen and the Martial Arts, by Joe Hyams

Zen and the martial arts is great. Easy reading yet very powerful insights.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Alright...I'll vote for my own book, "The Making Of A Butterfly" which was recently released through North Atlantic/Blue Snake.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just bought Sun Tzu's The Art of War. I'm looking forward to reading it and would like to read some of the other's mentioned too. I have a Kung Fu book I read a year or so ago and I can't remember the name of it now. Of course, I can't find it now either, probably still in a box somewhere...I'll post the title when I find it as I enjoyed it very much.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What type of art is the reader interested in ?
If Karate then why not something by Oyama or Funakoski, if Aikido or Judo why not something by one of the better known masters? If Arnis why not something by Remy Presas

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pstarr said:
Alright...I'll vote for my own book, "The Making Of A Butterfly" which was recently released through North Atlantic/Blue Snake.

I will have to check it out. :asian:

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The e-magazine, Martial Edge (from the U.K.) is doing a review on it in their Aug-Sept. issue...It's available in bookstores and on Amazon.com

Latest Discussions