The Expert Village

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ok, this gentleman is not half bad in his instruction, but I have seen other subject matters were the presented material was not only very wrong but potentially dangerous/life threatening.

As usually, the question presents itself: why try to learn MA off the internet?

Last edited by a moderator:

AndrewKFM

White Belt
Reaction score
Free, less embarrassing for beginners, and more psychologically soothing as you feel you are acquiring knowledge while no one tells you you're doing it wrong.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
true.

I am thankfully amazed though that this young man seems to know his stuff. I have seen some truly scary stuff on that series of videos....

(not to mention I am truly scared of any yahoo practicing this sh..without the knowledge that there is always somebody out there who kicks harder faster...)

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doing something of this nature, kicking on a bob, lends itself to showing on video. With an understanding of the martial nature of the act, I see it as many of the things taught by Expert Village, ballroom dancing and gardening.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pop up round house is what we call this kick. I don't think this is for anyone to actually learn a martial art from but rather a simple demonstration that you can refer to when practicing from home. Then when you get to your dojang/dojo you can have your instructor fix/tweek your technique.

I know that I use YouTube or DVD's to help with new Black Belt forms as a referance. Maybe I forgot move number 15 in SipJin and just need to see the move. I could read the move if I have a book but sometimes it is nice to just see the move.

The same can be applied to beginners. They may not remember what hand starts the double punch on Sam Jang and seeing the video can refresh that memory. They know that it is a double punch but just need to know what hand punches first.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ok, this gentleman is not half bad in his instruction, but I have seen other subject matters were the presented material was not only very wrong but potentially dangerous/life threatening.

As usually, the question presents itself: why try to learn MA off the internet?

Or perhaps why learn it in person? Certainly the advantage of personalinstruction is a review and critique of your technique.

Sadly, many students never go outsidse their school or some related association of schools and have no idea that they may be learning cr*p. Sometimes the "Master" prohibits them from doing so. Hmmm might they be afraid of somthing? The internet will at least give them some information to comapare to. They may find they have a great instructor, or perhaps not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions