The Essence of your kung fu

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What are the core ideas around which your kungfu is built?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Strong / rooted stance, Unified body movement to generate power, Advanced Footwork, Endurance, and Patience. This is the minimum breakdown in which I build my kung fu. The first 4 are found within the 3 systems that make up Jow Ga kung fu. The last one is not so much a core of the systems but the core of my philosophy in which I build my own skills. It applies to everything from training to fighting. Things like not being too eager to attack and not rushing training would fall under the patience category.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
move fast, strike hard. grasp/seize , press and wrap to control the opponent to dominate the action.

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I forgot to ask what style you do as well?

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering about this as I have a vague idea about the Tiger-crane combination style I practice, but nothing I can put into words.

Hakka styles seem to have similar ideas behind them, so I'm especially curious to hear from the southern stylists.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering about this as I have a vague idea about the Tiger-crane combination style I practice, but nothing I can put into words.

Hakka styles seem to have similar ideas behind them, so I'm especially curious to hear from the southern stylists.
since me and you do similar stuff, i am curious as well. can you answer your own post question for me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not a southern stylist, but my sifu learned Taijiquan in Hong Kong so.... first the word "essence" which is defined as "the intrinsic nature or indispensable quality of something, especially something abstract, that determines its character."

based on that I would have to say the real answer is......patience

Now if you will allow the Northern view of the other art I trained: Xingyiquan... the essence would be.... attack

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
so I'm especially curious to hear from the southern stylists.
I can only speak of Hung ga and Jow Ga kung fu. These systems depend on very strong roots for the attacks. The best way I can explain it is that after about 6 months of training these systems a person will feel more rooted to the ground and you'll get this sluggish feeling as if you aren't light as light on your feet anymore. You'll feel like a tank but at a cost. I think this is why Choy Ga was added to Jow Ga kung fu to create more of a balance between the strong root of Hung Ga and the quick foot work of Choy ga. Many of the big punches are like "Hulk Smashes" in the sense that they are heavy punches even from a short distance without the wind up. For those on the receiving end, it feels like you are getting hit with both the punch and the weight of the attackers body. A lot of emphasis is put on building up the legs and the strength of the waist and core. As a student one can expect to get a good workout for the legs and waist. These systems also don't utilize high kicks as much, in comparison to other systems. High kicks are often trained for flexibility but in actual application you will rarely see a person from these systems use a high kick.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kung Fu...

Hard work

Maximum efficiency. Unfortunately maximum is an uncatchable albatross, but I strive.

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
since me and you do similar stuff, i am curious as well. can you answer your own post question for me.

I'll do my best.

I was told that though it's called Tiger-crane it's really crane with elements of tiger style.

So the crane is light and mobile, keeping away from the opponents force and striking with precision. It uses the waist to deflect and power strikes, it sticks and throws its energy rather than thrusts.

The tiger roots its self and actively rips away the opponent's defence. It smashes and once in contact siezes and controls.

Not a concise explanation but I think that sums up the style... Does it seem familiar?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll do my best.

I was told that though it's called Tiger-crane it's really crane with elements of tiger style.

So the crane is light and mobile, keeping away from the opponents force and striking with precision. It uses the waist to deflect and power strikes, it sticks and throws its energy rather than thrusts.

The tiger roots its self and actively rips away the opponent's defence. It smashes and once in contact siezes and controls.

Not a concise explanation but I think that sums up the style... Does it seem familiar?
Reading it , it is to vague a statement. It could as well be any style. I would be curious as to the actual name. If your teacher only uses the name tiger-crane it could be a rehash of a karate style or a chinese style. I would put money on the karate. If it was a chinese lineage he would call it Ming He Quan or Hu Zun Quan,, whooping crane style or Tiger style or something like that that is definitive.
My question would be what forms do you do?

Latest Discussions