The cure for all environmental problems

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get rid of the people!

Any volunteeers? LOL

Now just suppose they got their wish. Imagine that all the people on Earth - all 6.5 billion of us and counting - could be spirited away tomorrow, transported to a re-education camp in a far-off galaxy. (Let's not invoke the mother of all plagues to wipe us out, if only to avoid complications from all the corpses). Left once more to its own devices, Nature would begin to reclaim the planet, as fields and pastures reverted to prairies and forest, the air and water cleansed themselves of pollutants, and roads and cities crumbled back to dust.

"The sad truth is, once the humans get out of the picture, the outlook starts to get a lot better," says John Orrock

Those nasty, dirty humans...

seriously though, I know we could do better, but things like this are a little on the silly side... The article does highlight a few interesting environmental concerns though, but nothing I've not heard before... Interesting read :)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get rid of the people!

Any volunteeers? LOL

Those nasty, dirty humans...

seriously though, I know we could do better, but things like this are a little on the silly side... The article does highlight a few interesting environmental concerns though, but nothing I've not heard before... Interesting read :)

Reminds me of those who wish to be something they are not and lash themselves on the shoulders because they cannot be. They are found in all forms of radical debate.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
"The sad truth is, once the humans get out of the picture, the outlook starts to get a lot better," says John Orrock

That is, until another socially-oriented species capable of using tools evolves and develops agrarian and industrial technology. It may take another million years or so, but it is very probable given evolutionary trends over the past several hundred million years.

In which case, we're back at square one.

So, what's the solution?? Wipe out every species that eventually develops something like a steam engine?? Please.

A little perspective is in order here, methinks.

Laterz.

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Did you folks actually read the article? It wasn't about how to fix the environment, nor did it suggest removing all humans. It was just an article illustrating our impact on the environment and how the natural world would recover if we all suddenly vanished. I thought it was very interesting.

Good grief. Next thing you know, you'll have folks reporting the author to the Homeland Security Agency for threatening genocide. Nah! That would be crazy. Nobody would do that.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did read the entire article.

I think that Agent Smith from The Matrix said it best when he said that humans are really a virus for the planet. We drain and destroy and do little good for the host itself, and we just keep multiplying and adapting and spreading.

But that is what we are and we cannot change that. We have needs, many are excessive and should be reduced, but we cannot help but take from the planet. The article is interesting in how it simply illustrates the effect we as a species have on the planet.

Latest Discussions