The Crunch Has Finally Come

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our new government has just produced their first budget and the Department of Defence has taken a massive hit. As a result I will be looking for a new job come the end of June.

Its all a bit sad really. The Australian Defence College where I have worked for the last two years is a really nice place. I have met and interacted with people from more countries in the last two years that in the rest of my life. What a shame.

Maybe I'll go to work at the National Museum or the War Memorial. That'd be nice too.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sad news, my friend. If you can continue the career chain onwards tho', it's always the case that interesting experiences and discoveries await.

Oh how I wish I could've stayed in the Curatorial discipline - the best employment years of my life - now all I get is grey streaks in my hair from stress :(.

Of course the flip-side is that I can afford the mortgage nowadays :D.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, ST. There's very little as discouraging as having to strike out in a new direction. The times in my life when I've done it, I really felt at the mercy of things over which I had little or no control. Most of my life I've been very partial to the view that the only good change consists of small bills and quarters.

It could turn into something good, though, and I really, really hope it does. The bad part is always having to find something new, now, rather than having it come to you in its own (and your own) good time.

OP
Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is the thing now. I have to find something else rather than want to find something. Still, our economy is in good shape and there are plenty of jobs around. I'd rather not take a pay cut though. Government salaries can ruin you I tell ya!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear this; I hope you find something as good or better.

I too work for the government and budget time can be a bit scary sometimes. We just went through it and we still are not finished but we had a governor that like prostitutes and resigned so things are a bit strange this time around

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck with the job search! If you want to move to America and become a biologist, let me know. :D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is the thing now. I have to find something else rather than want to find something. Still, our economy is in good shape and there are plenty of jobs around. I'd rather not take a pay cut though. Government salaries can ruin you I tell ya!
What?

I'm on a government salary... it sure ain't ruining me! Must be a difference in the two countries.

With all that... sorry to hear your job is being cut. Good luck on the hunt.

OP
Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
What?

I'm on a government salary... it sure ain't ruining me! Must be a difference in the two countries.

With all that... sorry to hear your job is being cut. Good luck on the hunt.

Yeah, Aus government jobs are pretty good, and it is close to home too.

Latest Discussions