The Book of Five Rings

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doe's anyone have an opinion on the 'The book of Five Rings' version by Thomas Cleary? I have been told I should buy Victor Harris' version instead of Cleary's.

I have a version by Bradford J. Brown that I have had for 25 years, but would like to buy a new copy. Is there really any differences between the various versions?

Thanks for your help.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have the version by Thomas Cleary. I thought it was great. Although, I don't know if there are any significant differences between Cleary's and others. :idunno:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not have version o any of the new one, min is at last 25 years old

thanks for binging up this subject , it is time I reopened and read it once again

splice42

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think that most versions are good. Pretty much the only version to avoid is Stephen Kaufman's interpretation of the work. Othewise, Cleary, Harris, Ochiai, Nihon Services are all apparently good. I think both Cleary and Harris are very good indeed, but then we should be reading the work in Japanese anyway ;).

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
splice42 said:
I think that most versions are good. Pretty much the only version to avoid is Stephen Kaufman's interpretation of the work. Othewise, Cleary, Harris, Ochiai, Nihon Services are all apparently good. I think both Cleary and Harris are very good indeed, but then we should be reading the work in Japanese anyway ;).

Thanks for jogging my memory. It was actually Kaufman's version that I was told not to buy. I wonder what is so bad with his version. Anyways, I think I'll buy Clery's.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Very true, if only I could! I know alot gets lost in translation.

I believe the same thing...

Von

White Belt
Reaction score
there is a true interpretation, done by Sensei Hidy Ochiai, its actually very hard to find.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had my "Book of five rings" for over 30 years, by Victor Harris. Great insight, great read.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really like the version by Stephen F. Kaufman. I would encourage you to look at that version and the others and make your own decision.

Latest Discussions