Blue Belt
Reaction score
Criteria..
most important medals........Jean Lopez

coach who trains coaches.....Jason poos

coach with most winning athletes
competing at two different national
events..........................................Patrice Remark

personal favourite........................whoever is in the chair waiting for me

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
US coach with the most Olympic experience........ GM Dae Sung Lee
Best us retired coach......................................... GM Dong Keun Park
Most under appreciated..................................... GM Han Won Lee, Master Hong Kong Kim

Last edited:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who are the best coaches, and more importantly, why?

Well lets see Jason Poos just because he has that certain way of gettint his techs across to players.

Greg Tubbs simply because of his coaching philosophy. He has won with so many that you cannot even keep track of them.

Jean Lopez like him or not very good coach. Pa

Patrice Remark has a very good attitude that he brings to the people he coaches.

Myself because of course I have been the one with him since day one. And knowing when to get extra caoching from people is what seperate great to bad because of ego.

Arlene Limas very good at getting certain aspect a cross to all different types of foghters.

Barbera Kunkel I just like her plain and simple.

Terry Blackburn, Jimmy Kim, Giavonni Giambi and that will just about wrap it up for now.

What makes them all great is there simple appraoch to the game and the finer details of it

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
puunui I get the feeling you do not like me or think Iam new to this, you relize over forty years and yes I know alot of people from AAU, USAT and the old USTU as well as smaller org and such. Maybe you should list who you believe to be good and why but I would imagine the list would be very small since you only believe a few people. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas...:asian:

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is there going to be a distinction between trainers and coaches and are we talking the best or our favourites.If its our favourites then my list will lose a few names.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
puunui I get the feeling you do not like me or think Iam new to this, you relize over forty years and yes I know alot of people from AAU, USAT and the old USTU as well as smaller org and such. Maybe you should list who you believe to be good and why but I would imagine the list would be very small since you only believe a few people. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas...:asian:

I asked because I wanted to hear what people thought about the coaches out there. As for not liking you, I think you need to relax and not take every question to be some sort of personal challenge to you. I asked because I was curious, not because I wanted to test you.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really don't have any opinions on any coaches because it has been a while since I have seen any of them or their current athletes, but I do notice certain coaches aren't listed. How about people like Jin Suh, Eui Lee, Peter Bardatsos, Tuoi Le, Scott Fujii, Brian McCutcheon, Troy Garr, Henry Cruz, Juan Moreno, Dong Lee? Any opinion on them and what kind of coach they are?

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am thinking of coaches who are coming in with multiple players,you are naming some good coaches,and the list could easily get longer.I would give some of these coaches some more time to prove themselves, the same players over and over could be the player not the coach.Some of these names are famous but don't have anyone standing out at the moment.
With that I would say I am not someone who should make these choices,it is only my humble opinion

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am thinking of coaches who are coming in with multiple players,you are naming some good coaches,and the list could easily get longer.I would give some of these coaches some more time to prove themselves, the same players over and over could be the player not the coach.Some of these names are famous but don't have anyone standing out at the moment.
With that I would say I am not someone who should make these choices,it is only my humble opinion

When I ask about the quality of the coach, I am thinking about the individual coach and his abilities, and not so much about his player, although that may factor in.

For example, if I were to evaluate coach A, I might say, he is good in the dojang, tailors his drills to the needs of the student. While in the seat he is more of a motivational coach (lifts competitor's spirits and makes the player feel like he can and should win), rather than a technical coach (your opponent has this tendency or that tendency, or is doing this, so counter with this and this or this, or you are losing and he is sitting on his back kick/padduh chagi or is running, so do this and this and this). Some coaches are better suited to coach anyone's player, others can only coach those who personally like the coach (a specific type of motivational coach), while still others can only coach their own player (relationship coach). Coach B might be technically not as advanced and his drills may be older, but he is still able to give the player what the player needs to win (motivation or technical). Coach C, his players are all the same, off the line roundhouse or fast kick and clinch but has no inside game and cannot handle distance or timing manipulation. Coach D, poor fundamentals and weak steps but all his competitors have a lot of heart and fight to win/punch to score and you will feel beat up even if you win the match. Coach E has big reputation, and good recruiter of other people's talent, wins his share of matches, but players under him do not improve technically.

When discussing coaches and their abilities, these are the kinds of discussions that I am used to having.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Then you want a rundown on each coach you named,what there abilities are? I think that would be quite a different question than your original one.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then you want a rundown on each coach you named,what there abilities are? I think that would be quite a different question than your original one.

I don't think there are too many coaches out there that can do it all, so in evaluating and rating coaches, one would have to take into consideration the positives and negatives and then rate them. For example, is a motivational coach preferred over a technical coach? If so, in what circumstances? Who would get rated higher? I don't see how we could rate coaches without looking at their skills and shortcomings.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the end analysis it is only whether the players of said coaches are winning consistantly, and the coach has many players doing so.Also if they are the best coaches they would be winning the big tourneys.Regardless of the style of coach, unless the criteria is not winning.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Winning is always the end all to good coaching, but I guess in the end that is all that matters a win/lost record. This is so sad that in a Martial sport/art it is about winning and not competing.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If we are talking about who is the best coach,winning is everything.If we are talking about competing then alot of times losing is the best teaching tool you can use for your student, even more so than winning.
I am not one of the best coaches but I am a great instuctor and when we compete I always give a little pep talk one thing is win or lose we are martial artists and we will show no overt emotion in winning or losing. Also win or lose the name of the game is good sportsmanship. Lastly we will show the upmost respect to all we are playing with,remembering its only a game.
Thats probably why I don't have the greatest winning record,never had a student make it past team trials.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree that winning record is the sole factor in determining the best Taekwondo coaches.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
IMHO, Chang Lee (Dong Lee's father) produced a lot of national players from the late 80s to early 90s which include James Villasana, Clay Barber, Pinaroc brothers, Greg Tubbs, Simone Hradil, etc. Then Herb Perez's Korean instructor and its lineage of coaches such as Mark Williams and Peter Bardatsos then had it from the early 90s to 2000 (his master produced many fighters which included point-fighters for many years prior) which include Peter Bardatsos, Tony Graf, Sean Burke, etc. From 2000 and on, I see more athletes moving to Jean's former Elite and especially now Juan's Peak schools throughout the US so I'm not gonna count them just yet. Herb and Jean have done more for the evolution of TKD strategy in the US than anyone. But here is my list as of today:

#1. Patrice Remarck the "Iron Man" - every athlete/student that I've ever seen from his school have been technically proficient, well conditioned, and fought hard with NO ATTITUDE!!! He has produced numerous senior and junior players.

#2. Jason Poos = He has a lot of junior team members and medalist over the years. It's an incredible amount. A few have progessed to the senior team. Just like Patrice, he is a class act and shows in hs players.

My personal criteria is that they teach at the grassroots level, coach & develop their own players, and represent Taekwondo as an art & sport pretty darn well!!! I'm looking at the individual versus being part of a system, affiliation, or business. Here are the honorable mentions:

Peter Bardatsos
Christina Bayley
Greb Tubbs
Terry Blackburn

Latest Discussions