The best martial arts for self defense from..

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From the undead.:rolleyes:

...as we approach Halloween I think it might be good to hear what style would be best to deal with say a possible zombie apocalypse

Now I think Kali/Escrima would be ideal due to the extensive use of double weapons work.

However others have some strong views on the "practical nature" of grappling... and this expert has a strong argument to make for BJJ and zombies.

Jiu-Jitsu for the Zombie Apocalypse - YouTube

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Without watching the clip, I completely disagree that BJJ is appropriate for a zombie apocalypse.

Anything that utilizes swords, axes and basically any of the longer range bladed weapons would seem to me to be the best MAs for this scenario.

However I reserve the right to change my mind when I do get round to watching it and after some more ppl have offered their opinions, but I doubt it.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without watching the clip, I completely disagree that BJJ is appropriate for a zombie apocalypse.

Anything that utilizes swords, axes and basically any of the longer range bladed weapons would seem to me to be the best MAs for this scenario.

However I reserve the right to change my mind when I do get round to watching it and after some more ppl have offered their opinions, but I doubt it.

Cool reply.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Actually, HKP, it's a good clip. Stephan Kesting did a pretty thorough review of how you could apply BJJ against zombies. The real problem with BJJ and zombie defense is twofold. First, like my own base system of WC, BJJ works in close proximity. That's a range you need to know about, but it's no place to stay when dealing with the infectious undead. Secondly, zombies tend to be swarmers. Slow or fast.... either way they get you with their numbers. They surround you, trap you and then it's all over except the biting.

So my recommended response would be to train Parkour... even fast WWZ zombies would have a tough time catching these guys:

In fact those parkour guys would probably go out and trap a few dozen zombies just to stock their training courses!

Now for the over 40 crowd whose knees wouldn't begin to tolerate even basic parkour, I'd have to recommend that you back up your firearms and aggressive driving skills with FMA, especially at the Largo-Mano range. I personally work my eskrima closer, but as I said at the with a zombie you don't want to be in close proximity if you can avoid it. It's not just the biting, but the smell.

The Bahala-na guys specialize in largo range. Check out the staff work at around 1:32 and the machete/sword work at around 2:00. Lends a whole new meaning to the phrase "disarming":

Last edited by a moderator:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unless you want this thread to last for 50 more pages, could we all just agree, right up front, that BJJ is the answer to everything! ;)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After watching Michone in the Walking dead series, I would choose Kenjutsu.

Japanese swordsmanship would be the style I practice for the zombie apocalypse. Efficient, quick, clean, and silent. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What kinda zombies? Are we talking walking dead zombies or the ones from that will Smith movie I am legend?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unless you want this thread to last for 50 more pages, could we all just agree, right up front, that BJJ is the answer to everything! ;)

You bjj fan boys.

That GI is very grabby in the beej. And wrestling does better head control. And they do more running.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys9tmw3TIEU

With the weapon arts remember you are not countering anything so a lot of the time spent will be wasted learning to dodge a weapon attack. I don't think trick weapon arts will work better than basic and consistent.

Wood chopping.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ0rdpr9cds

And an axe is better for bushcraft than a sword. And more versatile all round.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

...as we approach Halloween I think it might be good to hear what style would be best to deal with say a possible zombie apocalypse

Now I think Kali/Escrima would be ideal due to the extensive use of double weapons work.

However others have some strong views on the "practical nature" of grappling... and this expert has a strong argument to make for BJJ and zombies.

:lol:

BJJ and grappling... for the Zombie apocalypse....what a load of garbage..... now....Vintage Soviet Combat Helicopters...that is what you need... and I just happen to have a bunch in my back yard if you're interested :D

That was awesome....and actually did teach me something about BJJ, thanks for the clip

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What kinda zombies? Are we talking walking dead zombies or the ones from that will Smith movie I am legend?

zombie_strippers02.jpeg

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rule #1 for the zombie apocalypse: Cardio.

I'm not talking about a slow jog either. Interval training and sprints are where it's at.
Naaa you don't need to be faster then the zombies you just need a good leg sweep to knock down your buddy

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
He makes a pretty good case for BJJ not being particularly useful for anything other than a quick sweep/toss and run. And let's face it, you really need to kill them.

So naturally, Chic-Chic-POW is the best response. But when the ammo starts to run out, then I'm going to say whatever large edged weapon you're most comfortable with would be the way to go. And remember... swords don't have to be reloaded.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:lol:

BJJ and grappling... for the Zombie apocalypse....what a load of garbage..... now....Vintage Soviet Combat Helicopters...that is what you need... and I just happen to have a bunch in my back yard if you're interested :D

That was awesome....and actually did teach me something about BJJ, thanks for the clip

There is allways a zombie hidden in one of those helicopters. Just remember to check the back seats.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EsYZ_NItSL4

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I think it's a mistake to just focus on the zombie apocalypse. What about other undead threats?

Let's see if we can determine the best martial arts for dealing with skeletons, vampires, mummies, and liches. After all, the tactical demands are different for each of these.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it's a mistake to just focus on the zombie apocalypse. What about other undead threats?

Let's see if we can determine the best martial arts for dealing with skeletons, vampires, mummies, and liches. After all, the tactical demands are different for each of these.

Typical street response. If you can't deal with one zombie you are not going to take on 5 vampires.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

Zombies: Flower arrangement. Bring the lawnmower.

Skeletons: Tactical Warhammer from Viking Berzerker Arts. Also TKD since kicking the skull off is a good idea. Won`t finish then, but they can`t see until they pick it up and reattach it.

Vampires: FMA, bring your stick and knife and just make a pointy end. Impale with extreme prejudice.

Mummies: HADDOKEN fireballs will crisp them.

Liches: You`re screwed. The best bet would be to go on a quest for a mace of disruption and a ring of spell turning. (Even BJJ won`t work here since their icy cold touch will kill you in seconds)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never even heard of "liches" until reading Tony's post. Swell, now I gotta worry about those suckers. I'll probably look for an anti-liches gym today. I hope I don't need a new gi.