The axe-kick...

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting article. I've seen the axe kick used well in point sparring, and have done it successfully once or twice. I've also seen it done poorly, in which case it's easy to see coming and avoid or block. I've not been hit by one yet, but I understand it hurts like hell.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best way to desguise this kick is to bend the knee on the way up like a front kick then straighten the leg at the top and come down like a true axe kick.

The bending of the knee on the way up does two things. One, it fools the opponent having him/her drop hands to guard for the front kick, and two it will get over any guard or pass the body if to close to the opponent.

The axe is one of my favorites. It is best to use as a counter kick to a round kick to the body.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Interesting topic,
I too have seen the axe kick used well and poorly, I guess it's like any other technique, if you put in the work training it to a certain skill level, you'll achieve it. Concerning the article, you have to understand the Mirko is one hell of a kicker and take that into advisement. For me, I don't really recall ever using it much or being a big fan. I don't like the idea of being caught in a situation where one leg is stuck high vertically. I can remember many sparring matches where that kick (and some others) were caught up on the shoulders of a charging opponent and the executor of the kick going down hard and taking abuse while trying to bounce on one foot. I'd save it for a downed opponent personally. I prefer to keep my base and shoot out lower kicks.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I now am a fan of groin kick first, then axe-kick. Old man version..............
icon7.gif
, nice article.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I now am a fan of groin kick first, then axe-kick. Old man version..............
icon7.gif
, nice article.

+1.

I am really glad that ninpo does not have roundhouse kicks to the head.
I'd need a pulley system to get my legs that high :)

Latest Discussions