The 6th World Poomsae Championships Vladivostok, Russia

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, for me, the question is, IMO, our poomsae players look awesome, this being said, why aren't we winning at the international level?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was good to see GM Vo out there dancing. :) He is an excellent poomsae practitioner and a very inspiring person in general.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I noticed black belts (rather than dark blue) That makes me happy :D. The new uniforms actually are nicer than I thought too for the Dan holders.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, for me, the question is, IMO, our poomsae players look awesome, this being said, why aren't we winning at the international level?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an IR, international competitor, or as senior as the guys in that video (assuming they're all 7th-9th Dan as they're wearing gold tops)

Personally I'd say there are a lot of little inaccuracies that lead up to a loss of points. Admittedly I've only seen about 15-20 of the videos from Dartfish's site, but the highlight video you showed had a lot of elbows too straight when blocking (so the part being defended isn't actually covered), backfist strikes at shoulder height, knifehands being curled instead of straight.

As I said, I'm not saying I could do better, but that's what I see as a competition observer ;-)

(I also criticise elite level soccer players in the UK, doesn't mean I could do better - it's part of the rights of spectators...)

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Master Jimmy Kim gets it. I am hoping that others coaches, instructors, athletes and referees get it too.

“I am proud of each and every U.S. athlete who competed at this year’s WTF World Poomsae Championship,” said U.S. Head Coach Jimmy Kim. “Although the U.S. Poomsae Team did not win any medals this year, the overall quality of all of our athletes is markedly improved. We have made it into more semifinal and final rounds than ever before, even in some of the most competitive divisions. The U.S. Team is on par with much of the world technically, however, we are inconsistent in the presentation aspect of the competition. U.S. athletes, coaches and referees need to have a better understanding of the presentation criteria, namely smoother transition, timing, rhythm and power. Mastery of the presentation aspect of poomsae competition will propel us into the medal range in all divisions.

“I am amazed at the progress that everyone has made in a relatively short period of time despite the fact that everyone had to go seek training on their own. We will be looking to our national governing body for more support in giving our poomsae athletes better training opportunities.”

http://usa-taekwondo.us/news/2011/08/02/world-poomsae-championships-conclude/43912?ngb_id=10

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: I'm not an IR, international competitor, or as senior as the guys in that video (assuming they're all 7th-9th Dan as they're wearing gold tops)

Personally I'd say there are a lot of little inaccuracies that lead up to a loss of points. Admittedly I've only seen about 15-20 of the videos from Dartfish's site, but the highlight video you showed had a lot of elbows too straight when blocking (so the part being defended isn't actually covered), backfist strikes at shoulder height, knifehands being curled instead of straight.

As I said, I'm not saying I could do better, but that's what I see as a competition observer ;-)

(I also criticise elite level soccer players in the UK, doesn't mean I could do better - it's part of the rights of spectators...)
I have actually been hearing that they were pretty sound techniclly, but that they need to work on presantation. The flow and rhythm aspects not the technical.

540kicker

White Belt
Reaction score

Not here to criticize, but to inform.

Those guys and girls are from ages 17-24, and most are 1st dan to 4th dan. Those gold uniforms are actually the uniforms that all World poomsae competitors were wearing in Russia, KKW wanted the uniforms to stand out.

Every little move and technique is critiqued and if not done correctly will result in deductions. Those straight arm blocks are standard, and all the little things that you see that are taught like that to compete on the international level. =]

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not here to criticize, but to inform.

Those guys and girls are from ages 17-24, and most are 1st dan to 4th dan. Those gold uniforms are actually the uniforms that all World poomsae competitors were wearing in Russia, KKW wanted the uniforms to stand out.

Every little move and technique is critiqued and if not done correctly will result in deductions. Those straight arm blocks are standard, and all the little things that you see that are taught like that to compete on the international level. =]

Thanks for chiming in! Excellent insight.

Latest Discussions