Thats soooo gay

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
enough is enough. You are right. That phrase has been around sense I was in High School, and I graduated 26 years ago.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What can you do this is the land of the lawsuites and time will tell if everyone of us must always keep our mouth shut.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure I could say something that would make any one of you purple with rage just like those damned PC uppity queers. And the first thing you would do would be reflexively suspend me from the forum. Then you would rage and stomp. But somehow it would be different because it would be your ox being gored. Honest. That's the way it works. Others' buttons are stupid. What they do when they are pushed is over-reaction. Ours, on the other hand, are sacred.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm so sick of litigation BS. I'm a chiropractor. In chiropractic, we "crack" low backs. To do so,you gotta get a handle on the skeleton somewhere useful. The sacroiliac joint is near the butt...comrades in profession have been sued for fondling butts, when they were just cracking backs. They've won in court, particularly when the "victim" is shown instructional video and asked, "is this what he did to you?". But the cost goes deeper, to practice, reputation, family stress.

High school is full of kids doing and saying stupid crap; it's high school. To write the kid up for non-PC language is stupid. To sue the school is stupid. For craps sake, knock it off, people.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
High school is full of kids doing and saying stupid crap; it's high school. To write the kid up for non-PC language is stupid. To sue the school is stupid. For craps sake, knock it off, people.

I agree totally.

I also almost handed out negative rep to jetboatdeath for the thread title. Luckily, I read the story.

OP
J

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree totally.

I also almost handed out negative rep to jetboatdeath for the thread title. Luckily, I read the story.

Ummm how can you Totally agree with that when you just said you almost gave me bad rep for using a non-pc title? Your part of this problem.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is not just in HS. I was just recently reprimanded for use of the term "queer." Several of my associates have been similarly scolded for making similar statements. It is OK that it makes me go against my faith, because it offends other people. If my kids want to say something like the statement above then I will not scold them for it. It is time for everyone to grow up and stop beign a bunch of sissys.

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Here's a question: Why is it that the students who were bad-mouthing her religion weren't disciplined? While I disagree with alot of beliefs of the Mormon church, I don't think it's right to make fun of their members. If those students had asked a Muslim student where their turban was, or if they asked a Jewish student if they'd like some bacon, I'm certain the administrators would have been all over them. For some reason, it's ok to make fun of someone for a misconception of their religion as long as it's not minority dominated. Free speech, my ***.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, I'm torn. I'm rabidly pro-gay rights but just as rabidly pro-free speach. The first question I would ask is: what's the context? The girl in the article was obviously not using the word "gay" as an anti-homosexual slur. She has the freedom to say that if she wants to. But what if the situation had been diferent and she did mean it as an anti-homosexual slur. As distastful as I would find it, she has the freedom to say it, and she shouldn't be open to being sued because of it. Why, because unless it is accompanied with a verbal barrage that can be legally considered "harasment", it's not illegal. THAT being said, the scope of what "harasment" encompases has become so wide you can hardly fart at work and not be accused of "creating a hostile work environment."
To sum up: the system is a mess. People just need to start using good old common sense. Wait, but what if saying someone doesn't have common sense is harasment... Arrrrrrrrrrgh! (head exploding)

Your part of this problem.

We are all free to say pretty much whatever we want on this forum, but remember that we're all friends here, OK?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ummm how can you Totally agree with that when you just said you almost gave me bad rep for using a non-pc title? Your part of this problem.

Because obviously, negative rep = a lawsuit. :bs1:

**** being politically correct. It's just plain offensive and rude.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's wrong with her saying "that's so happy?" :)

They are picking on her religious beliefs, stereotyping her for them, and she gets a lawsuit filled against her when she defends herself.

I guess some stereotypes and insults are ok, others aren't?

Seriously, it's about time we started working on that kill all the lawyers plan someone had.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They are picking on her religious beliefs, stereotyping her for them, and she gets a lawsuit filled against her when she defends herself.

No, she filed the lawsuit. It doesn't even sound like she got a detention, just a trip to the principle's office.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Apparently the Mormon lobbyists aren't all that great... :lol:
No, in my experience the offical church presidency (those who run it) don't really get involved in petty crap like this. The individual (parents) that sued the school are the only ones who took umbrage at the one sided disciplinary action.

I agree we really need to follow up Billy Shakesphere's idea of "kill all the lawyers" they're the ones screwing everything up.

I remember during my days in H.S. it was okay to label someone as "queer", my buddies and I used to say it to each other as playful insults, but sometimes as a angry derogative ... now it's not. Pretty soon the "Q" word is gonna be just as bad as the "N" word ... oh wait... it already is. :rolleyes:

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember during my days in H.S. it was okay to label someone as "queer", my buddies and I used to say it to each other as playful insults, but sometimes as a angry derogative ... now it's not. Pretty soon the "Q" word is gonna be just as bad as the "N" word ... oh wait... it already is. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and in my grandpa's day in H.S., it was okay to label someone as "ni double g er". Why does it bother everyone so much that another group of people might get tired of others using what they are as an insult?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, and in my grandpa's day in H.S., it was okay to label someone as "ni double g er". Why does it bother everyone so much that another group of people might get tired of others using what they are as an insult?
Because you got lawyers mucking up the works... ":idea: hmm, I can make some big bucks if someone's feelings are hurt over a single word..."

Latest Discussions