Thank God for anonymity...

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
... because I never thought I'd ask a question like this. After who-knows-how-many (maybe lamost 10) years of sitting by the sidelines, I decided to take a shot at reconnecting with an old friend, and yes, with the intention of possibly dating her. The problems (or at least two of them) are:
  1. Is it possible to be so out-of-league with her that perhaps the shot isn't worth taking? She's been married (which was the last time we spoke) and divorced, and had a fairly successful career, whereas I sort of disappeared; turned her down when she first hinted an interest; and kind of let my life fall apart.
  2. If it is worth taking, how do I start off?
I know this is about as unrelated to MT or MA as it can get, but I feel like I'm at an impasse before even trying, so any advice would probably be appreciated.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But I'd suggest starting by simply getting back in touch and seeing what's up, with no more pressure than that. She may be remarried, dating, or have become a nun. Why add extra freight till you know where things stand? Instead, keep it at reconnecting with an old friend and renewing that friendship.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
What is there to lose?

Downside she says no, you suffer a bump to your ego, upside you wind up with a girl who you apparently think is out of your league.

Pretty much a no-brainer in my book.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

But I'd suggest starting by simply getting back in touch and seeing what's up, with no more pressure than that. She may be remarried, dating, or have become a nun. Why add extra freight till you know where things stand? Instead, keep it at reconnecting with an old friend and renewing that friendship.
Makes sense, however there's a few details I'm a little unsure about. Like I said, it's been sometime since we've kept in touch- and it was a long-distance communication- and in that time she's changed her # and email address.

Plus in the time we've been out of touch, her career's taken off somewhat, and met quite a few people, which leaves a slight chance she might've forgotten about me. So in a sense, it's almost like starting from scratch at half the strength. Am I making sense on that one?

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What is there to lose?

Downside she says no, you suffer a bump to your ego, upside you wind up with a girl who you apparently think is out of your league.

Pretty much a no-brainer in my book.
True, just a bump to the ego, but how to start is a major question.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first step is to find her. Sounds like all her contact info has changed. If you find her, ask her out, be honest about your life and and let the chips fall. For all you know she may be thinking about you right now.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You might try facebook . . . if you can't find her, then find friends of hers and connect through them.

Then, if she accepts your friends request, she remembers you, if not, there ya go.

(That's if she has a facebook page, but you'd be surprised how many professionals are using it now.)

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You might try facebook . . . if you can't find her, then find friends of hers and connect through them.

Then, if she accepts your friends request, she remembers you, if not, there ya go.

(That's if she has a facebook page, but you'd be surprised how many professionals are using it now.)
LOL... I've been ignoring requests to join facebook, but I guess now I have a reason.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL... I've been ignoring requests to join facebook, but I guess now I have a reason.

I avoided it for a long time, too, but it's a lot more "grown up" than myspace. Plus, it "requires" you to use your real name, so people are easier to find.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I avoided it for a long time, too, but it's a lot more "grown up" than myspace. Plus, it "requires" you to use your real name, so people are easier to find.
Oh wow! I think I just found her. I'm crossing my fingers that she might remember me.

Quick Update:
There's two profiles using the same photo, and several without photos. :(

Last edited:
OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm suddenly up to 20 friends, but she's not one of them.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most important at such a stage, i think is to evaluate your own wishes and find out whether you can commit. Then the very important other point is to really balance out if the person in question fits well to you. Know her downsides and be able to love them too. For example, if she spaz all the time and freak out, you gotsta be able to take that **** for years and accept it somehow understanding.
If you are really are great friends and very suitable for one another, it would be a shame not trying. Are there kids on any sides? If so that might also make it a bigger responsiblity. Reason i say this is 'cause i can relate to what you said and i take it, you don't what to play musical chairs with partners forever. There comes a time where one wants to settle down. Find a partner that it is enjoyable living life with. Together one is stronger than alone.

j

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Most important at such a stage, i think is to evaluate your own wishes and find out whether you can commit. Then the very important other point is to really balance out if the person in question fits well to you. Know her downsides and be able to love them too. For example, if she spaz all the time and freak out, you gotsta be able to take that **** for years and accept it somehow understanding.
If you are really are great friends and very suitable for one another, it would be a shame not trying. Are there kids on any sides? If so that might also make it a bigger responsiblity. Reason i say this is 'cause i can relate to what you said and i take it, you don't what to play musical chairs with partners forever. There comes a time where one wants to settle down. Find a partner that it is enjoyable living life with. Together one is stronger than alone.

j
True. Evaluating the initial pros and cons, as well as estimating strengths, weaknesses and resources is the deciding factor over whether I should go through with this endeavor. However, I still need to be establish some line of communication to get a clear and acurate picture of the scenario.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Know who is deciding that the girl is out of your league? You are! Why not reverse the thinking and make the you out of HER league? That'll attract her and make her pursue YOU.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Give me her contact info, I'll make sure that I mention you.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
True. Evaluating the initial pros and cons, as well as estimating strengths, weaknesses and resources is the deciding factor over whether I should go through with this endeavor. However, I still need to be establish some line of communication to get a clear and acurate picture of the scenario.

Overanalyze much?

Email, write a bit about yourself, if she rights back and is friendly get her number. Call her, and see where it goes. At some point in life you have to take a risk, relationships are one of them, if you can't take the risk of even starting one, good luck maintaining one.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind that anonymity goes both ways, so you're going to get a lot of advice from people who won't be bearing the cost of heeding it. ;)

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Overanalyze much?

Nope, that's just my thought process stretched out.

Email, write a bit about yourself, if she rights back and is friendly get her number. Call her, and see where it goes. At some point in life you have to take a risk, relationships are one of them, if you can't take the risk of even starting one, good luck maintaining one.

That's still part pof the communication issue. I believe I mentioned that her contact info has changed, so reluctantly, I'm trying the facebook route.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
That's still part pof the communication issue. I believe I mentioned that her contact info has changed, so reluctantly, I'm trying the facebook route.

Facebook has a wall to wall feature where messages can be private, its alot like an email.

Latest Discussions