Testing tomorrow...

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I test for my 8th gup tomorrow and my daughter tests for her 6th gup.

I'm reasonably nervous which isn't a bad thing.

We didn't work on combinations the last two months so I'm trying all kinds of things today (not just today, last minute)!

I'm working on my foot preparation for blocks and punches in my forms. I'd started to practice two bad habits and fortunately my instructor corrected me last night (thanks to the advice you all gave me, I became the squeaky wheel). I also thanked the instructors afterward for pointing out errors. I want to encourage them.

As far as the back stance goes, I'm not doing it perfectly yet and that will take some time but it's looking good (I was told).

I'm confident with my wrist grips and one-step sparring and have been practicing those on opposite sides, in the "air" and mentally. Doing lots of visualization.

I'm not as confident as I was going into my 9th gup test although we learned a lot more material as 10th gups than as 9th gups!

You know how it is - you want to do a very good job ;)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lynne, good testing to you! You put a lot of thought and understanding into your training and it shows.

As you get higher, you'll have more of those "uh-oh" moments before your test. No worries! Tell us how it goes!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lynne, good testing to you! You put a lot of thought and understanding into your training and it shows.

As you get higher, you'll have more of those "uh-oh" moments before your test. No worries! Tell us how it goes!
Thank you for the encouragement and kind words, Shesulsa. I can always use the encouragement :)

I need to put the coffee down though. The acid is burning a little. Crazy me. Oh what the heck. I won't be able to sleep tonight anyway!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lynne, I'm sure you will do well because you will do your best! Breathe deeply before you start, step out with confidence.... do the swan thing! Elegant and poosed on top even if you are paddling like hell underneath and before you know it, it will be falling into place and you won't be paddling so hard. And you'll even be enjoying it!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Put away that coffee and at least try to get a good night`s sleep. That always helps. Do forms in your head until you fall asleep.
Good luck.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lynne, I'm sure you will do well because you will do your best! Breathe deeply before you start, step out with confidence.... do the swan thing! Elegant and poosed on top even if you are paddling like hell underneath and before you know it, it will be falling into place and you won't be paddling so hard. And you'll even be enjoying it!

Thank you Tez, for the positive comments. May I look like a swan instead of a duck :D or a lame horse.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Put away that coffee and at least try to get a good night`s sleep. That always helps. Do forms in your head until you fall asleep.
Good luck.
I switched over to water and am not going to touch any more caffeine. I hope to fall asleep easily tonight (hot and humid though) because I didn't sleep well last night as it was hot and I had TSD racing through my mind.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish you the best in your testing tomorrow. I'm sure you will do fine. Relax and breathe.

People tell me to relax and I always let them know that, "I'm relaxing as hard as I can!!!!" :)

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wish you the best in your testing tomorrow. I'm sure you will do fine. Relax and breathe.

People tell me to relax and I always let them know that, "I'm relaxing as hard as I can!!!!" :)
Ha ha...I get that!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say good luck but I believe skill will always come though, so after you pass let us know.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good Luck, Lynne! I'm sure that you have absolutely nothing to worry about. If you put as much effort into your art as it sounds like, you will be at the top of the test.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Best of luck to the both of you! :)

Please let us know how it goes.

Mike

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to wish you the best of luck, and look forward to hearing about how it goes:) Give 'em hell!!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just remember to have fun and show off what you know - the rest will then happen on its own.

Come back and tell us how you did.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
My daughters just passed their karate tests tonight. Before each test given at this dojo, Renshi stands before the group and she says: You know this. You can do this. If you did not, and could not, you would not be here. Take this as an opportunity to show all of us what you have learned.

Just let your skills loose.... focus.... and enjoy it.

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Best of luck Lynne. You'll do just fine. You have the test in the palms of your hands. I agree with Grydths kids Renshi, You know the material, SHOW IT OFF. It's ok to be nervous, we all get it no matter what the rank.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement everyone :)

I'll let you know how we did. And I will try to remember to have fun. After all, the tests are much like a class and I love going to class.

Of course, here it is 12:07 am and I'm wired. I have the clock set for 8:00.

Goodnight!

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
From what you've said here on MT, I'm sure you'll pass. Like agemechanic said, you know your stuff, so SHOW IT OFF!

Good luck and TANG SOO!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes!! I passed and my daughter passed, too. We are now 8th (orange) and 6th (green) gups, respectively. :D :D :D

We only had nine adults testing this morning. All but one passed (the other yellow belt).

Master R ws very pleased and said we did a great job. That was fantastic to hear from him.

Now I get to learn my first Pyong Ahn form and lots of new material. I'm excited!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations, Lynne!

Congrats to your daughter too!

Latest Discussions