Technique and Character distinguishment of Shuri, Naha, and Tomari Systems

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know that the answer to this lies in the kata, but for those of us who do not know many kata in all three systems, how would we distinguish these systems?

What is the difference in character? What is the difference in technique? Or is the difference purely geographic as I have read in other places?

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would argue that they are more alike than different. I think it has more to do with what part of China the influence came from, hence, geographical. Of course, to some, a slight difference is huge.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
According to my reseach. Nahate, uses rooted stances, body hardening tactics, circular blocks, and more bodybuilding, weight training. Based more on hung gar and chaun fa.
Shuri te, and Tomari te are very alike. The use higher stances, quick shifting foot work, bodyshifting, based more on the white crane style of chinese boxing. It seems that mostly tomari te has been absorbed into the shorin ryu. But, may also have its own branches like
Ryuei ryu, and Okinawa kenpo.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When it comes to nage-te and tui-te are there any differences between the three?

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When it comes to nage-te and tui-te are there any differences between the three?

That's a hard one. I'd say not many differences, but Goju (Naha) is probably more designed for close in fighting and might tend to use more of those type moves. Goju kata bunkai is very close in stuff with lots of joint locking and take downs. But, when I watch my friends in Shorin and Shito, they do the same stuff in bunkai that we do.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What would have been classified as tomari-te? What did that look like on its own?

All we can do is look at the few remaining Tomari kata: Rohai, Passai Dai, Matsukaze (Wankan), Ananku, etc. and note the differences and defining characteristics. I agree that they are more like Shuri than Naha, but they are distinctive in their own way.

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
one side question is how do we know what "naha" karate really looked like.
Today we say that the 2 typical naha schools are goju ryu and Uechi ryu, but both those schools were created with a LOT of direct influence from chinese arts. Both the goju founder, Chojun miyagi, and his teacher, [SIZE=-1]Kanryo Higaona,[/SIZE] spent a lot of time training white crane in china before creating goju (and most of its katas).
The founder of Uechiryu, Uechi[SIZE=-1] Kanbun,[/SIZE] had almost no martial art training at all before moving to china to train (well, to trade, but he trained aswell) -and after that he didnt train at all when he got back to okinawa and didnt start again unit he moved to mainland japan.

I dont know of any "naha" school today that is not based on one of these styles, and how do we know what distiguished karate from the naha region before this significant flood of fukien white crane influnce came along at the turn of the century?

I would say that the pre-Miyagi/Kanryo/Uechi brand of orignal "naha" karate is deader that "tomari" karate.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, we can only go with the Naha stuff as it has come to us from the men you mention. But, that is true of much Okinawan karate. We don't know much about Shuri/Tomari karate, either, as it was before Chinese influences were brought into the indigenous Okinawan arts. But, one could say it wasn't "karate" before then, either.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best way to distinguish between the three are to look at the styles that have come down from the three areas and have not crossed over.

Naha-te: Goju-ryu, Uechi-ryu, Ryuei-ryu

Shuri-te: Kobayashi, Shobayashi

Tomari-te: Matsubayashi

If you look at the different kata it is best to try and pick out the subtle differences. Many styles have influence from one, two, or all three. This may not be what you are looking for, but it is a good place to start.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Higaona After his return fromChina. Said to have studied shornji temple boxing Began to teach the china art. BUt found it unsuited for the Okinawan peoples needs. Blended Naha te and shornji temple boxing And i believe later Miyagi Also blend some Shuri into what became GO JU RYU. Now What id Naha te by its self would be different then GO JU RYU to a degree. And the old Kata. KORU kata would be more in line to the old Karate, tandaku geki sia, geki ha, kaku ha Kata came at a later time And have a more modern softer application To the root Of Go ju. Softer meaning being more able to publicy instruct Karate for all all people. Wher I believe the key is the old Kata better trained for selfdefence application at the past time Alot of the Old style Is being lost tranlation passing from country to country People long since gone little to hand down the true orginal teachings of certion movements Evolved applications share from not only China but from the Naha te and shuri Te Of Okinawa. As those 2 arts were the roots for the people there who Found that way best met the needs as for there build and type. Just as when Karate was named So the okinawan arts could be taught In japan More changes came along Just training the old koru Kata Perhaps would bring closer understanding of the root of What is now called okinawan Karate.Along with the bunki kisokumite and selfdefence prearanged and open drills Based on the Say pre 1920 trainings

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Higaona After his return fromChina. Said to have studied shornji temple boxing Began to teach the china art. BUt found it unsuited for the Okinawan peoples needs. Blended Naha te and shornji temple boxing And i believe later Miyagi Also blend some Shuri into what became GO JU RYU. Now What id Naha te by its self would be different then GO JU RYU to a degree. And the old Kata. KORU kata would be more in line to the old Karate, tandaku geki sia, geki ha, kaku ha Kata came at a later time And have a more modern softer application To the root Of Go ju. Softer meaning being more able to publicy instruct Karate for all all people. Wher I believe the key is the old Kata better trained for selfdefence application at the past time Alot of the Old style Is being lost tranlation passing from country to country People long since gone little to hand down the true orginal teachings of certion movements Evolved applications share from not only China but from the Naha te and shuri Te Of Okinawa. As those 2 arts were the roots for the people there who Found that way best met the needs as for there build and type. Just as when Karate was named So the okinawan arts could be taught In japan More changes came along Just training the old koru Kata Perhaps would bring closer understanding of the root of What is now called okinawan Karate.Along with the bunki kisokumite and selfdefence prearanged and open drills Based on the Say pre 1920 trainings

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You need to learn to spell and punctuate.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You need to learn to spell and punctuate.
May need improvement on key board typeing. BUT I do know About karate And Goju ryu Look back and you will learn what you think you know

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
May need improvement on key board typeing. BUT I do know About karate And Goju ryu Look back and you will learn what you think you know

You haven't said anything about karate or Goju that makes a bit of sense. Just a lot of gobbledy-gook and half-assed opinion. Better stick to JKD.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You haven't said anything about karate or Goju that makes a bit of sense. Just a lot of gobbledy-gook and half-assed opinion. Better stick to JKD.
I will stay with JKD But have A Ranking in Goju And other Karate arts. But left behind blind training years ago. Go ju did not really have a name until Japan was interseted in the okinawan arts Perhaps it never should have M/A is M/A NO SPECIAL magic in a name The person is the art of what that person does. truth still says The old kata was the key to what Karate really was New kata was for way to teach all people and has less original value.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was taught that Goju was named after some of Miyagi's students went to Japan to attend a big taikai. They came back and told him that all the ryu in Japan had names. So, he thought about it and came up with Goju. I think this was in the '30's. I agree with you on the old kata.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS:

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Lisa Deneka
MartialTalk Super Moderator

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was taught that Goju was named after some of Miyagi's students went to Japan to attend a big taikai. They came back and told him that all the ryu in Japan had names. So, he thought about it and came up with Goju. I think this was in the '30's. I agree with you on the old kata.
Very true I believe his student who represent him At first related it to half hard style Miyagi shose Go Ju ryu. As hard soft style saying every thing is both hard and soft. I still have the un published book by Toguchi That cover well the history and stories plus poems for the making of what became GO Ju RYU I liked Go Ju when I was active in it And still like some of its tools. This Book I have was not handed out until after blackbelt And was never made public passed down Has some good history of okinawan Karate And shows Anko itosu And Kanryo Higashionna As the key to the spread and development Of okinawan Karate. And shows shinsato represented Miyagi in Japen First called Go Ju Hanko ryu half hard style Then miyagi quoted the poem eight poems of the fist where it said everything in the universe is breathing hard and soft this is said to be the first style name in the karate world
and it does state that
miyagi did go to
itosu
to learn shurite But was told to watch From Shurite He devised gekisai di iche and di ni that shows the shurite influence. Just As Higshianna blended Nahate With Chinese boxing in what has became Go Ju. I did for A few years Instruct Go Ju Ryu But like I said I moved on to other things But remember my past and respect others that stay in there chosen path. Any M/A is useful if the person asorbs it for there self.

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very true I believe his student who represent him At first related it to half hard style Miyagi shose Go Ju ryu. As hard soft style saying every thing is both hard and soft. I still have the un published book by Toguchi That cover well the history and stories plus poems for the making of what became GO Ju RYU I liked Go Ju when I was active in it And still like some of its tools. This Book I have was not handed out until after blackbelt And was never made public passed down Has some good history of okinawan Karate And shows Anko itosu And Kanryo Higashionna As the key to the spread and development Of okinawan Karate. And shows shinsato represented Miyagi in Japen First called Go Ju Hanko ryu half hard style Then miyagi quoted the poem eight poems of the fist where it said everything in the universe is breathing hard and soft this is said to be the first style name in the karate world
and it does state that
miyagi did go to
itosu
to learn shurite But was told to watch From Shurite He devised gekisai di iche and di ni that shows the shurite influence. Just As Higshianna blended Nahate With Chinese boxing in what has became Go Ju. I did for A few years Instruct Go Ju Ryu But like I said I moved on to other things But remember my past and respect others that stay in there chosen path. Any M/A is useful if the person asorbs it for there self.

"Hanko" ryu was the name Mabuni first gave to Shito ryu, not Goju.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"Hanko" ryu was the name Mabuni first gave to Shito ryu, not Goju.
This may be so. But when first named according to my writings by Toguchi, hanko ryu was the first name given for Naha Te then when told to Miyagi He then named The style as Go Ju Ryu. And this was about 1925 Perhaps At a time both styles looked at The hanko ryu name. And considering Shuri and Naha te were the first arts Later Go ju and shorin ryu And shorni ryu was to show its relation to shaolin Being called shorin ryu. Hanko ryu was a left alone nama half hard style open to any naming even for Shito ryu to use.

Latest Discussions