Tattoos and Martial arts

mystic warrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello sorry I have not posted in some time with work and all.
But here some thing I have been thinking about.
I am going back to training in an art I have never been in before.
But
I have 2 tattoos of different organizations on my chest.
But mind you the tattoos that are on my body are not meant as a way of saying I belong to this org or that org. But more so.
I had to teachers that inspired me so much. One was like a grandfather and the other one was like and older brother.
The teacher that was like a grandfather passed away last year and in honor of him. I got the emblem of the art that I studied under him.
And the other teacher re-helped me see the good in me after some bad things that happened to me.
Mind you no one would see these unless I took off my shirt. And well that is not going to happen.
And so I am joining this new art, now mind you all 3 arts are Korean.
(I guess I love Korean arts)
And I am done with the tattoos.
But I guess how much b.s. do you think I will get from other teachers over this. And how do I show that I am there to learn from them now.
And no disrespect is meant by my tattoos.

gnrail

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You might take some good natured teasing from those of us that are too chicken to go under the needle so to speak but I would look for another school If they will not accept you for who you are tattoos and all.

OP
M

mystic warrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I guess if nothing else for me these tatts
show that I have respect for those men that in there own way showed me. A new way to look at things.
And helped me when I needed it. that is all.
Besides it would look funny if I got to guys names tattoed on me.

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tattoos should not be a factor in your training. All it does is show that these org's or styles were important or a big part of your life at one point, and will always mean alot to you. It does not mean you are not loyal, just were in a different place in your life when those were done. I agree with the previous posts, if they dont want to accept you for who you are, then find a new school.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello sorry I have not posted in some time with work and all.
But here some thing I have been thinking about.
I am going back to training in an art I have never been in before.
But
I have 2 tattoos of different organizations on my chest.
But mind you the tattoos that are on my body are not meant as a way of saying I belong to this org or that org. But more so.
I had to teachers that inspired me so much. One was like a grandfather and the other one was like and older brother.
The teacher that was like a grandfather passed away last year and in honor of him. I got the emblem of the art that I studied under him.
And the other teacher re-helped me see the good in me after some bad things that happened to me.
Mind you no one would see these unless I took off my shirt. And well that is not going to happen.
And so I am joining this new art, now mind you all 3 arts are Korean.
(I guess I love Korean arts)
And I am done with the tattoos.
But I guess how much b.s. do you think I will get from other teachers over this. And how do I show that I am there to learn from them now.
And no disrespect is meant by my tattoos.

If the tatts don't show under normal clothing then i guess the issue is not likely to arise, hey? And if it does (someone seeing you change etc.) then you can just tell them what you told us... you express yr reasons for getting inked very clearly and anyone who has a problem with that is is prob not going to be very useful to yr development.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it one bit Mystic.

I've got Discipline and Songahm Taekwondo on myself in Hangul as well.
Discipline on the left quad, on the right I'm putting Destruction (Kyeokpa) (also means breaking, as I'm an avid board/brick/cement breaker).
I like the concept of discipline and destruction, one on each as well.

I keep them in the half-sleeve/shirt/shorts region as well, so they aren't visible unless I wish them to be. They're simply reminders to me of aspects and things in my life that I've devoted parts of my life to. It took me 20+ years of TKD before I got the first one for my style heh.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Didn't you know that when you start a new art your required to burn all patches and certificates from previous arts and never mention that you studied or know anything about another art. Same as when you get married...

But seriously, I've trained with alot of guys in my style that came from another style. One guy had a Kenpo Crest tattoo on his arm. Didn't make any difference to me. Shouldn't matter.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some people look at tattoos as a way of keeping history on their skin. I remember when I got each one of mine and the memories that came with them. Like others have said they should not be a factor in your new training. If they are then it is not the place for you and move on!

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only reasoning I can see behind anyone getting offended by tattos is if something dirrogatory is put on your body and there are children around you, but if its merely symbols, then i would see no problems as an instructor with a tattoo of any type

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh, rub it in Mr. Arnold, rub it in :)

I _had_ long hair, then nature caused a clearing... I did the 3 musketeers motto, all for one.. one for all. :D

tad2bad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly I see no problem with them. There are guys who practice in my art with several tatts and nothing is ever said to them. Shouldn't matter.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of ink, my left quad has discipline in Hangul, the right _just_ got..
Kyeok p'ah (breaking/destruction).

right_thigh.jpg

I'd rather the top of the 'yeo' wasn't so prominent, but then I guess no tat is perfect ;(.

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
The tattoos shouldn't be a problem. I have one on my arm (and planning on one more), which is covered by my gi in class, but there are other students who have visible tattoos of different things. I've never heard anyone say anything about them. If they don't accept you because of the tattoos, find another school.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tattoos are not a concern or should not be. However, I am interested in Your concern about yours. You state the tattoos would never be seen but you are concerned about what someone else will think about something they will never see or know about.

“But I guess how much b.s. do you think I will get from other teachers over this.”
If they will never see them how will anyone know about them; unless you tell them about the tattoos?
You are concerned about the tattoos so simply don’t bring up the subject. If someone else does bring up the subject of tattoos don’t mention that you have some also. Keep quiet.

“And how do I show that I am there to learn from them now.”
You do this by being an attentive, teachable student and working hard with an open mind and spirit.

Danny T

Eric Deveau

White Belt
Reaction score
It's not the tattoo, or the tattooer, it is the tattoo'ee that makes the difference. You are the sum of all your experience. If its a worry show the tattoos right away and if someone has a problem with it you will know what to do. If not, don't show them and if it ever comes up, or if they are seen then it is part of your life's experience, and its a great conversation starter.
M.E.

Latest Discussions