Takagi Yoshin Ryu/Kukishinden history

L

Limeydog

I was reading in a koryu jujutsu book that there is a historical connection between Takagi Yoshin Ryu and Kukishinden Ryu. Pretty interesting read...it is called Classical Fighting Arts of Japan by Serge Mol. I know Christmas is coming thought some of you might like to add it to your Santa list. The Gyokko Ryu is mentioned a little but nothing else about the Nine Ryu found in BBT/TSD.

However Hatsumi Soke wasn't mentioned as any of the Soke's for the above systems. Could be other branches???? I would love to hear from anyone else who has insights into the book. I know it's not TSD related but historically it is somewhat.

Later

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are several branches of Kukishin ryu. The book is good, albeit a bit biased seen from a Bujinkan viewpoint.

OP
L

Limeydog

From what I have heard some of the kata found in Kukishinden/Gyokko Ryu are needed for advanced black belt (2nd and 3rd Black) in Toshindo. That is another reason I wrote the post. So I guess it is TSD related afterall. I think Takagi Yoshin Ryu and maybe Shindenfudo Ryu are needed aswell. Anyone who is in TSD and knows exactly the requirements I would love to know. Thanks in advance.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Limeydog said:
I was reading in a koryu jujutsu book that there is a historical connection between Takagi Yoshin Ryu and Kukishinden Ryu. Pretty interesting read...it is called Classical Fighting Arts of Japan by Serge Mol. I know Christmas is coming thought some of you might like to add it to your Santa list. The Gyokko Ryu is mentioned a little but nothing else about the Nine Ryu found in BBT/TSD.

However Hatsumi Soke wasn't mentioned as any of the Soke's for the above systems. Could be other branches???? I would love to hear from anyone else who has insights into the book. I know it's not TSD related but historically it is somewhat.

Later

I think this is because Mr. Mol learned under Mr. Tanaka Fumon, who headed a different branch of Takagi Yoshin-ryu and Kukishin-ryu. The Bujinkan, Genbukan and Jinenkan studied the Takamatsu-Hatsumi branch of the above arts. Mr. Tanaka inherited the branch of Minaki-den Kukishin-ryu (Ishitani-Kakuno-Minaki-Tanaka) and learned Takagi Yoshin-ryu under Mr. Kaminaga Shigemi.

Mr. Kaminaga was a student of Mr. Ueno Takashi, who was Mr. Hatsumi's first teacher in Takagi Yoshin-ryu.

In any case, Mr. Mol showed the Minaki-den lineage of the Kukishin/Takagi arts.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Limeydog said:

Later

Just in case your are still reading these forums, let me repeat something I once wrote.

The author of the book tried to stick with arts he had personal experience with. He did study with Tanaka Fumon and others and Jujutsu Indonesia mentions.

Considering the wealth of information he had just from teachers he had experience with, you can hardly fault him for not dealing with subjects and teachers he had less experience with and taking up space with them.

Latest Discussions