T K D

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to ask you TKD guys about your system. I am a Kenpoist, and haven't had any exposure to TKD.

1) Are there techniques in the system such as in Kenpo. Are they the requirements for belt promotions? If so, how many on average per belt?

2) Are sets such as kicking, blocking, punching, etc. the requirements for belt promotion?

3) Is flexibility taught and required for promotion?

4) How long on average does it take to earn your BB?

5) Is promotion based on a point system, such as in a lot of Judo schools?

Thanks for your comments.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should have posted this in the TKD section.

1) Are there techniques in the system such as in Kenpo. Are they the requirements for belt promotions? If so, how many on average per belt?
There are self defense techniques but they are not like the kenpo techniques. Not quite as specific as you are used to. Yes, they are requirements per belt. The amount varies upon the organization, school, instructor.

2) Are sets such as kicking, blocking, punching, etc. the requirements for belt promotion?
No, there are basics of course but not put together in sets like you are used to.
Well the studio I went to did not base flexibility as a requirement for a promotion but heavily emphasized.

Again, that can vary depending upon organ., instructor, etc. etc. generally 3-5yrs. Also it depends upon the individual and their progression in the art.

Promotion was based upon how long you were in the studio at each belt. Being 2-3 months in the studio 2 days a week for 2hrs. per class made you eligable for yellow promotion. Although it made you eligable you still had to know all of the requirements before you could take the test.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
Techniques are usually individual, like round kick, 360 jump spin heel, tornado round kick, crescent kick, elbow strike, knife hand, etc.

But we also have 30 combination techniques we are tested on for self-defense
Some schools also do one-steps, three-step sparring techniques.

We have forms (poomse) which are different sets of stances, kicking, blocks, and punches for each level, also called belt or gup.

Flexibility is worked on somedays, not everyday with different kinds of stretching or flexibility exercise/technique. Flexibility like being able to split is not required but kicking to head level is required.

To get to lst Dan, it usually takes 4 years, maybe 5. It depends how much you put into it. Twice a week is not as much as 5 times a week.

Our master does it on the ten point system with a six as failure. But he allows you to keep trying whatever you missed/wrong until you get it right. If too much is wrong though, it has to be retested, he says.

There other parts to the tests however. Demonstration of kicks - 3 at first then at red belt increases to 30, sparring, breaking, questions, papers.

At BB testing, there are 200 rising kicks, each leg, 30 kicks done 3-6 times, both legs, also slow-motion kicks - 5 kicks/both legs x 3 times.Also all self defense technique. All 1-3 step sparring techniques. Alot more sparring and breaking and ten forms.

Depends on the master what criteria is given. And for WTF they follow Kukkiwon rules.

And since this is your meet and greet, welcome to the forum! TW

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
You should have posted this in the TKD section.

Yeah, I know that now. I'm just learning this site. sorry. I'll know better next time.:)

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your replies. I always like to hear about other systems.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
Yeah, I know that now. I'm just learning this site. sorry. I'll know better next time.:)
I only stated that because you would have a better turn out on your thread is all. :)

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I only stated that because you would have a better turn out on your thread is all. :)
Yeah, I know what you meant. Thanks for looking out.

Salute.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I put in a request to relocate the thread for ya. No worries. :)

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Hiya Shane. Just to let you know, there's more than one style of TKD, so the answers you're going to get will vary by style and organization. The answers which I can give you are specific to the World TKD Association.

shane23ss said:
Good technique is required for promotions at all levels, but performing individual techniques isn't a part of testing. Our instructors watch our technique all along, and we don't test if it isn't up to par.

See above question.

Yes, but only to a point. Some people, due to a combination of health issues, and age they start training, will never be able to kick at their own head height. Some allowances are sometimes made.

Average time is about 4 years. I received mine after 3. I know some people who took more than 5. Also, only our grandmaster can test for and award dan ranks, and he's on the east coast, so that's an additional barrier for some people in terms of rank.

Nope. There may be , but not with my instructor, not with our grandmaster, and not with any instructors I've heard of.

You're welcome. :asian: I hope I've answered your questions satisfactorily.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your response Zepp. I figured there would be several different answers, just wasn't sure how many different types of TKD were out there. Shame on me for being uneducated. :)

Another quick question for you "multi" arted folks. I hear TKD is "THE" system to learn to increase your kicking arsenal, is this true?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not multi-arted but... there are 45 kicks that I know of at 2nd, probably alot of different variations and combinations after that. We train really hard at kicking, probably 90% of the time. When you do 1000 kicks and alot of them jumping in an hour, naturally TKDoists have the lead in that department. In fact we will probably have our 6000 front kick/in 60 min. marathon before adjourning for Christmas--our present from the master. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this point and time I'd prefer to to bang out as many self defense techniques on a body in 60 minutes vs. just kicking. To each his own. :asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
At this point and time I'd prefer to to bang out as many self defense techniques on a body in 60 minutes vs. just kicking. To each his own. :asian:

Not my choice. But I like a hard workout, just not on my hamstrings. ;) TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand. I have no desire to do that kind of stuff anymore. Besides my right knee wouldn't be able to take that kind of punishment anymore. I have never pulled any muscle before until about 3 months ago when I pulled my left ham. I was demonstrating a hook kick and the moment I did that kick I knew I was in for some trouble. What a bumber and still nursing it. :rolleyes:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
Another quick question for you "multi" arted folks. I hear TKD is "THE" system to learn to increase your kicking arsenal, is this true?

My experience in other martial arts is limited, but from what I've seen, TKD doesn't have any unique or "secret" kicks. What it does have is a larger emphasis on kicking compared to most other arts. TKD training will certainly improve someone's kicking, but in most cases, so would just devoting more time practicing kicks. I would generally discourage someone from training in TKD if there's only one aspect of it they're interested in. Personally, I've found TKD to be excellent training in hand strikes as well.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
I wanted to ask you TKD guys about your system. I am a Kenpoist, and haven't had any exposure to TKD.

Shane, a student of Taekwondo is a Taekwondoin.

The Kukkiwon (World Taekwondo Headquarters located in Seoul, Korea) has general requirements for black belt promotion. It is up to the individual instructor to teach the prerequisite 8 Taeguek poomsae (forms) and the myriad of techniques. The elements of Taekwondo are hoshinsul (self-defense), kyukpa (breaking), poomsae (forms) and kyorugi (full-contact sparring).

Taekwondo stresses kicking techniques so most dojangs (schools) do a fair amount of stretching and plyometric training.

This varies from instructor to instructor, but most of the dojang I'm familiar with promote a regularly training student in 3-5 years.

No.

You are welcome!

Miles

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Miles said:
Shane, a student of Taekwondo is a Taekwondoin.

Not that it really matters, but I've also seen the term Tae Kwon Doist used in print by GM Son. This was in a couple of old books that he wrote in the 70's (60's?) so maybe he also uses the term Tae Kwon Doin nowadays.

OP
shane23ss

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone again for your comments. I'm learning some new things.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Not that it really matters, but I've also seen the term Tae Kwon Doist used in print by GM Son. This was in a couple of old books that he wrote in the 70's (60's?) so maybe he also uses the term Tae Kwon Doin nowadays.
Actually Zepp, it matters from the perspective of the Kukkiwon which seeks to standardize Taekwondo (which is why it is spelled like that instead of 3 separate words). :>)

Miles

Latest Discussions