Systema seminar Roanoke VA Emannuel Manolakakis

L

Lloyd Robrecht

The Roanoke Systema Group (RSG) will be hosting a 2 day seminar Feb. 11th and 12th 2006 with certified senior instructor Emmanuel Manolakakis of Toronto Canada.

Seminar Theme: "Directing The Flow Of Conflict"

Mr. Manolakakis will be instructing us in the strategic use of different levels of tension and relaxation in movement to defeat one or more assailants. We will explore how to instantly gain control of a person's psyche, physical balance and form.

Topics to be covered: 1) Escapes and counters from grabs, holds, locks and strikes. 2) Using the dynamics of multiple attackers to defeat themselves. 3) Offensive and defensive aspects of knife fighting. 4) Systema's use of the stick, staff and club in fighting situations.

The Training will take place from 10:00am-4:00pm both days at the Hybrid Martial arts Center on Williamson Rd. in Roanoke, VA

The early (prior to Jan 20th) registration cost for two days is $100 or $55 for a single day.

For directions, seminar, hotel information or to register please contact Lloyd Robrecht at zing9tru@hotmail.com or 1-540-312-9832

OP
C

CrankyDragon

You think they would mind an observer? I find Systema very interesting and would like to see some in person.

Thanks,
Andrew

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
NGAzone said
You think they would mind an observer? I find Systema very interesting and would like to see some in person.

Try contacting Lloyd and ask. He is a great guy and will answer any of your questions.

Do you mind me asking why you only want to watch instead of getting on the floor and doing? As has been said many times, Systema is best experienced by feeling.

I myself have traveled thousands of miles to train with Emmanuel; he is one of the most capable and articulate of the Systema instructors out there. This seminar will be a very good introduction of Systema for you NGAzone and I encourage you to not just watch but to go on the floor and train. Systema seminars are usually open to anyone regardless of style or experiences.

Hope to see you on the floor soon
Friends
Brian King

OP
C

CrankyDragon

Brian said:
Try contacting Lloyd and ask. He is a great guy and will answer any of your questions.

Do you mind me asking why you only want to watch instead of getting on the floor and doing? As has been said many times, Systema is best experienced by feeling.

I myself have traveled thousands of miles to train with Emmanuel; he is one of the most capable and articulate of the Systema instructors out there. This seminar will be a very good introduction of Systema for you NGAzone and I encourage you to not just watch but to go on the floor and train. Systema seminars are usually open to anyone regardless of style or experiences.

Hope to see you on the floor soon
Friends
Brian King
Many thanks to such a kind and inviting reply sir. Could you please PM me a phone number and e-mail addy of Lloyd?

I am intreguied (Sp?) by the Systema style and would enjoy observing it in action. I dont have intentions of joining or changing style but exposure to various forms is very educational, and entertaining. In our dojo, we also have a Kung-Fu class (a whole different group than then us, the primary occupent, we "sub-lease" to Kung-Fu and Karate "schools" on our off days) which I would very much like to observe out of interest.

I am extreamly happy with my Nihon Goshin Aikido style and hope to continue the dedication until 1st Dan! I hope I live that long, Im almost 40! HAHA!

Again sir, thank you kindly for the reply!
Andrew

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many thanks to such a kind and inviting reply sir. Could you please PM me a phone number and e-mail addy of Lloyd?

I am intreguied (Sp?) by the Systema style and would enjoy observing it in action. I dont have intentions of joining or changing style but exposure to various forms is very educational, and entertaining. In our dojo, we also have a Kung-Fu class (a whole different group than then us, the primary occupent, we "sub-lease" to Kung-Fu and Karate "schools" on our off days) which I would very much like to observe out of interest.

I am extreamly happy with my Nihon Goshin Aikido style and hope to continue the dedication until 1st Dan! I hope I live that long, Im almost 40! HAHA!

Lloyds phone number and e-mail address are both in the originating post of this thread.
NGA is an interesting style, from what I understand big on the East Coast. There is a school out here ran by a buddy of mine. After I attended a NGA seminar that he hosted he and some of his students have been attending (by that I mean joining in and doing the work) some of our seminars and classes. I do not think that by just observing a seminar that you will be helping yourself all that much unless you have a basis of understanding of Systema. Just attending (again doing the work) a Systema seminar does not call into question the loyalty you feel to your chosen art, you will not be pressured to quit your chosen art, you will be asked to train honestly, perhaps to put your prior experiences and most importantly your expectations into your back pocket (dont forget them, just save em for later) and give some different methods a try and train. So many people do not have the opportunity to train with a really good Systema instructor that they are forced to watch videos and read forums to get their understanding, five minutes on the floor with Manny would change so much of their understanding of Systema and movement overall.

You might be able to tell that people who come just to watch are a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I dont like em. When they come to my school (we welcome visitors) I invite them onto the floor and have them join in the training. For an idea of what class can be like (and most seminars) http://systemanw.com/sysclassarticle.htm If they decline to participate I will ignore them until after class is over, if they have a question that they would like answered during our training, they will be told to ask it after class (my experience has been that the questions would be answered by doing and feeling the work that is being done at the time). During class my time and attention is on the students on the floor who are doing the work, training and learning honestly to the best of their ability. I do not like them or me to be distracted by somebody that for whatever reason (and there is no good reason that I can think of, we have had people with broken limbs join in the training, mothers holding infants join in the training, people going thru Chemo join in the training ) does not want to train. Oops sorry rant over :soapbox: . NGAzone my friend, go to the seminar and train, it will only help you on your path.

See you on the floor soon
Friends
Brian King

OP
L

Lloyd Robrecht

Brian,

Thanks for the nice words and comments brutha. It was great seeing you at Summer Camp. I need to get my butt out to Washington soon.

NGAzone. You are welcome to come and watch, but if you are a healthy able bodied person, Brian is right. The best way to get a sense of Systema is to feel it by doing it. There is no need to feel like you are betraying your chosen art of aikido. When asked a question along these lines, well known systema instructor Martin Wheeler (a huge name in the kempo world) said "when you buy a new jacket it doesn't mean you have to throw the old one away."

Actually I think the theme of this seminar "Directing the Flow of Conflict" and the work with escaping and countering grabs,holds, locks etc. will compliment aikidoka perfectly.

I would be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that if you came to the seminar for just the first day and participated that by the end of the day you would not be able to look me in the eye and honestly say you had not gained principles that could kick your aikido practice up to the next level and get you that much closer to that 1st dan.

Hell, let your whole school know about the seminar and let's just have some fun training.

Best regards

Lloyd-312-9832

OP
C

CrankyDragon

Brian.. I understand compleatly your view on visitors, I first dont want to distract anyone. Next, Im so tight on funds, Id rather come to a common class and participate in a way as to not distract from the students seminar. A seminar is a special thing, much more intense training, I love them! Lastly, I work on a sliding schedual, and the chances of me being off the same day (I still have to check..) is slim. Coming to participate in a class would 99% be best done for me in the evening (I worked 1.5 years before I could get a straight daylight schedule).

I would still like to come to your training center and partner with some like minded people!

Lloyd Robrecht said:
(-> Speaking to Brian)
It was great seeing you at Summer Camp. I need to get my butt out to Washington soon.
Military, or martial art? I have to ask...

Lloyd Robrecht said:
Martin Wheeler (a huge name in the kempo world) said "when you buy a new jacket it doesn't mean you have to throw the old one away."
I agree, I just dont have the time or energy to dedicate to learning 2 styles at a time, was what I was refering to.

Lloyd Robrecht said:
Actually I think the theme of this seminar "Directing the Flow of Conflict" and the work with escaping and countering grabs,holds, locks etc. will compliment aikidoka perfectly.
I think your 100% correct, Ill still have to see if I can attend any, if at all..

Lloyd Robrecht said:
Lloyd-312-9832
Thanks, but I need your area code, then Ill give you a shout!
Andrew

OP
L

Lloyd Robrecht

Not even suggesting that you have to learn two arts at the same time, just that there will be a world of benefit when you come experience it. I'm in roanoke too, so the area code is 540 and the number is 312-9832.

Best regards

Lloyd

Latest Discussions