Sword techs

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
iam wanting to know if anyone knows any good web sites about katana techs?:samurai:

What about a live instructor that can show you the fine points, in person? Much better, IMHO, than any site, book or dvd. :)

Now, perhaps you already have a solid base with the katana, I don't know. If thats the case, then sure, books and dvds provide a good resource, but like I always say, nothing replaces a live instructor.

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is that you are looking for. If it is to see demonstrations of ancient or even modern katana methods, just do a search on youtube under the key words - japanese sword, katana, iaido, iaijutsu, tameshigeri, or kendo.

If you're looking to learn how to use this weapon, I'm on the same page with Mike but I will be a little firmer. The Katana is a deadly weapon not to be taken lightly. Those who train with it must give it the utmost respect. I'd prefer to not use a gun without being properly trained in gun safety, but with the katana, you are at an even greater risk of self mutilation through improper use or abuse. A proper instructor will start you on a Bokken (wooden sword) and move you to an Iaito (unsharpened steel) as your abilities increase and ultimately to a surgicly sharp live blade.

I've been taught some fundamentals of Iai, and Kata from Keshi Ryu & Shinden Munen Ryu as a supplement to my studies in Kosho. Without the introduction I've had from a qualified instructor I wouldn't even be able to get what little I am able get out of books and videos but I wouldn't even dare think about moving beyond my practice with a Bokken without formally undertaking Iai under a legitimately historical lineage under a fully qualified instructor.

_Don Flatt

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will always recommend sites for people on about everything, except sword techniques. You are just asking to cut yourself or worse. You can lose a body part. Laugh if you want, but I have seen many a student get cut.

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is a link that you can learn from.

There is a great lesson there if you choose to open your eyes to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good lesson Mr E :tup:.

I apologise if we're doing you a disservice Kempo Kid but, honestly, you'd be safer playing around with juggling hand grenades than messing around with live blade katana outside of a properly tutored environment.

Even with a authentic sensei, you will still cut yourself learning a sword art - I guarantee it (there's not a JSA practitioner I know that hasn't, including me).

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Moderator Note:
Post moved to the Japanese Swords and Sword Arts Forum to increase discussion.

Brian R. VanCise
MartialTalk Super Moderator

Latest Discussions