Switched schools

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had been training in a school that was "created" style. I enjoyed the training and the guys I trained with. I switched for two reasons. 80% was schedule conflicts. I was losing too much sleep. When you have 3 daughters ages 7, 5, and 3 a person doesn't get much rest anyway. The other 20% had to do with lineage. With names like Porter, Sarchonowski(sp?) and others it started to bother me. Some people don't care about stuff like that but I do.

My new style is Hakko Deshin Ryu. Had my first class yesterday. Class was awesome! Instructors seem like great guys so far. Decent lineage. No Combat Ki.:wink1:

So I have found a new home. Just thought I'd share.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you're enjoying your new classes. As long as you're enjoying your training and getting from it what you need from it it's all good. ;)

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have never worried too much about lineage, so long as folks are honest. but it's important to some. in any case, enjoy your new school!

jf

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck and keep us posted as to how your training is going.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck man. Just be honest with your new instructors and fellow students that you had previous training in a different style. When I switched from Seido to Choi Kwang Do every now and then there was a situation where they would look at me like I was crazy because I did something where my form was way off from what they had learned and I looked like the odd man out. It's what happens when you move from a linear to a circular style.

A lot of old habits are hard to break, it's good to let them know that you've been engrained in a certain way, it's not like a brand new white belt with no training.